General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 AM
Default TPMS

Like mentioned in a previous post of mine I work for an auto parts store here in PA. When i store is offered new products we have to attend these meetings and learn about what is offered etc so we are informed for are customers. My question here is we recently had a TPMS discussion (Tire Pressure Monitoring System) and learned things such as in 2008 all vehicles will be equipped with this option and by 2010 it will be included within the inspection and there is a fine if you bypass your TPMS of up to $8,000. But some interesting things he noted is that in some vehicles the TPMS is directional or positional and when rotating the tires it throws off the sensors. Now I only have had my car one year now and this is my first vehicle with TPMS so I am asking some of you out there who have rotated tires and also who have received new tires installed on your factory rims if you have had any issues? He said after rotation of tires you have to go through a learn procedure so that the car knows where the sensors are newly located. I was curious if any of you out there have had to do this? Or any additional information you guys have about the TPMS? Thanks

Jason

Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Default RE: TPMS

ORIGINAL: jasonmcr
He said after rotation of tires you have to go through a learn procedure so that the car knows where the sensors are newly located. I was curious if any of you out there have had to do this? Or any additional information you guys have about the TPMS?
Jason
On my '06 it has a deal where when you rotate the tires you can have the receiver relearn where the new tires are by selecting something in the Driver Information Panel and then going around and letting air our of the tires until you hear the beep in a certain order. Takes maybe two minutes and works just fine.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:03 PM

I had my tires rotated at the dealer, the tech took the car for a spin to relearn the TPMS. As God_Bot stated it is initiated from the DIC.
There is chance that your TPMS might have gotten out of wack and just using the DIC might not work.
When that happens you get the "Service tire pressure monitor System" ine the dic. There is a hand held tool that dealers have that can reflash just the TPMS system and fix this or something might be caput and need replacement.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Just got new tires. I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Is this learn procedure needed for the 00-05's? I rotated my tires a few times since I have had my monte and my gauge has not gone off at all. Not saying it needed too but I am guessing my TPMS is not positional if my light is not on?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

It doesn't matter on ours.

I've had the tires rotated both ways, back to front, and cris-cross.

The transmitors don't care which direction they are in.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:28 PM

TPMS is Positional.
The system needs to be reset when the tires are rotated.
Tech's have a "Slip-On" Magnet that sends a signal to the receiving unit.
They get a "Beep" when the repositioning of a sender is initiated ... and, ... two "Beeps" when the Sender is properly set-up.