General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Toyota to Shatter GM's Global Sales in 2009

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Toyota to Shatter GM's Global Sales in 2009

[align=center]
Section: General Motors

Toyota Expects to Shatter GM’s Global Sales Record In 2009
[/align][align=center]Toyota has announced that it expects to shift some 10.4 million vehicles worldwide in 2009. If the company reaches their goal, they would eclipse the world record (9.55 million units) set by General Motors in 1978. On the way to that goal, Toyota is expected to best GM as the world’s largest carmaker later this year, marking the end to The General’s 76 year reign.[/align][center]What’s more, some analysts believe that Toyota’s figure of 10.4 million is, if anything, a “cautious estimate.”
In any case, much of Toyota’s projected growth will likely come from developing markets like China, India, Brazil, and Russia instead of traditional strongholds like Japan and North America.

Toyota set to break GM's world sales record
Associated Press
TOKYO -- Toyota said today it plans to sell 10.4 million vehicles globally in 2009, a sales target that would put the Japanese automaker ahead of a record set by world leader General Motors 30 years ago.
Analysts say Toyota Motor Corp. is likely on track to beat General Motors Corp. as the world's biggest automaker in global vehicle sales and production this year -- a title Detroit-based GM has held for 76 years.
Toyota President Katsuaki Watanabe gave the ambitious sales plan in an outline of the company's growth strategy, which includes working on product quality and introducing technological innovations such as luxury Lexus hybrids. The company plans to boost sales not only in North America and Europe, but also in emerging markets such as Brazil, India, China and Russia. Sales in Japan, though, were expected to stay relatively flat.
"We will win in every opportunity, reduce risks, and even turn risks into opportunities," he said at a Tokyo hotel.
Koji Endo, an auto analyst with Credit Suisse in Japan, said the 10.4 million vehicles target was likely a cautious underestimate. Toyota exuded confidence that its robust momentum for growth isn't about to dwindle, he said, with model development and marketing planned for key regions.
"To surpass the 10 million mark is a certain benchmark for Toyota," Endo said. "But even after it passes that point, Toyota is saying it's not going to turn back and will continue to expand."
In typical understatement, President Watanabe denied the company was chasing sales numbers and brushed off a question about breaking GM's industry record of 9.55 million vehicles sold in 1978.
"All I can say is that I am truly grateful for every customer who bought our cars," he said after the news conference.
[b]"I really believe we must never forget this feeling that it's b

Old 09-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Default RE: Toyota to Shatter GM's Global Sales in 2009

Meh. I bought a chevy for a reason.. I just dont like the styling of the toyotas, internal, or external.. Ill have to admit, they are a good vehicle. I just dont like the styling, and the MSRP's are fairly expensive..

Old 09-03-2007, 03:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

Yeap, I don't like the styling of the Toyota's either:

Old 09-03-2007, 05:29 PM

I dont like them

I will take my GM's over any Toyota

Just got my wife an 06 Chevy Cobalt LT2

If you see an import in my drive way its visiting.......

Old 09-04-2007, 10:28 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2008

ORIGINAL: Mrrench

I dont like them

I will take my GM's over any Toyota

Just got my wife an 06 Chevy Cobalt LT2

If you see an import in my drive way its visiting.......
The lot where I bought my car specializes in rental returns. They make no bones about it. They sell it, they guarantee it.

They have many Cobalts under 10k miles for well under $10k, heck even under $9k. I recommend this car for anyone who wants a great car but can't afford a Honda or Toyota. Does anyone listen, of course not. Good going Mrrench.

Old 09-05-2007, 03:05 PM

Yeah, this will soon get into a debate on taste vs quality. The Chevys look better all around, but Toyota are manufactured for longer durability.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:11 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

i think you guys will find that you're all liers in 25 years (not intentionally). unfortunatly, i don't think american automotible makers will keep up, GM will outlast ford and dodge, but they are really on their way out. sorry guys... i'm dreading teh day teh only thing i can buy thats evne beginning to be reliable is made by the orientals. or, perhaps i'm the lier.. perhaps the government will bail out gm and ford like they did dodge in the 80's