General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

The things people will do for money....

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 06:23 PM
1 Year Member
Thumbs down The things people will do for money....

This is a story of my experience with the firestone by my house and how and why ill never go back
So a couple of months ago i needed new right side tires as they were almost bald because the alignment was terribly off. I got those 2 done ( 368.00 ended price with warranty and alignment) and then they said i needed a new belts because mine was cracking (105.59) . And i decided against it as they said it wasn't urgent just a thought. Anyway i saved some money and i got the left side tires done as well (yesterday) ( 378.00 warranty / alignment ) and then they decide to spring this list on me - its 1,572.85 and its just ridiculous - i think its because I'm only 18 and about 5,4 so they think I'm gullible and worried about it . But i mean are they serious . The list includes things i know aren't wrong with the car and I've had a mechanic check it out .. I now understand why everyone hates these giant corporations and its because they do things like this... I recommend against any service they do .. I will admit the tires as a set are great and ride well but the things that come as luggage is ridiculous
Im pretty sure of some things - yes i do need some new back brake pads and to be bled / my coolant was done less than 2 months ago (no leaks ) - and the steering pump makes a whining noise at start up ( priming i think!)?
And they said rack and pinion needs replacing as its leaking or broken or somethings - i just wanted to do a write up because of this service and the ridiculousness of it all - i only go there for tires and go elsewhere for body/ equipment maintenance ect . But boy do they ever. Push service ( also a side note they did the first 2 right side tires when i picked up the car it wAs dead and had to be jumped as they left it in neutral during the change i guess - 3 weeks later my battery died) and i had never had a problem before so... But be free to comment ( as i know ill never go there again) tires for 70,000 miles would put this car at 230,xxx miles so ill never have to go back

Attached Thumbnails The things people will do for money....-image.jpg  
Old 03-24-2014, 06:58 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Hi Mike, sorry to hear about your Firestone fiasco. If you are in need of a Good Mechanic who Will Only tell you What's really wrong with your car. Work with your budget. And is Truly a Good guy, I suggest Clyde's Auto in Point Pleasant. The owner is Steve. I know him personally. Worked with him. He knows his stuff for sure. There are only 2 reasons I no longer use him. I live in Garfield and I like doing my own repairs. Here is the website for the shop

Automotive Repair Point Pleasant, NJ - Clyde Automotive

If you choose to go to him, you can tell him I recommended you there. It will not got you any discounts but he will treat you good.

What ever you decide I Hope things work out for you and Red Baron!

Old 03-25-2014, 09:22 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'm not going to defend or bash them, but you may want to have the car rechecked at your trusted mechanic (just to ensure). I agree some shops try to rip you off (as I needed an entire front rebuild on an '84 Camaro years ago, NTB wanted $1500 to do that when all I needed was $150 in parts, a bout 2-3 hours and an alignment, back then $50 for a full alignment). Looking at that estimate, that belt cost is nuts. It's about a 5 minute change on thatcar (they probably have to bill an hour labor as policy) and the part cost is about $20-$40. BTW - Unless you have a supercharger, this car has one belt.

But, the reason I suggest you get it rechecked, even though you recently had the car looked over by your regular mechanic, it's possible signs of issues are creeping out that they caught (or they may think they see signs based on old grunge around the engine). So, don't totally ignore it, take a look for yourself OR get a second opinion (just to ensure your comfortable).

I also know a guy that used to work at a big chain and he said management at that shop told the shop guys, when a car comes in for a free alignment check, kick the wheels until the alignment machine flags that one is needed (as most customers don't know what the numbers mean and will sign off on it in blind faith). A shame that their are people like this looking to cheat others!

Old 03-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Zen
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The polices at some of the chain shops(Monro/goodyear/firestone)are really shady depending on the guys in the shop.I worked at a Monro for 8-9 months it was the worse place I ever worked at.There's a lot of off the book polices about what to sell.Any car that came through the door with 50k or more on them they tried to sell struts an shocks due to wear an time all the time would even look at the car.Not saying all shops/guys are that way but a lot are.
Some small shops are better bet.Or a decent dealer.Not all dealers are good Some are quite bad.Problem with dealers is all the techs are flat rate so there always labor an they don't work much on the cost of things.