General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Subs or Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Default Subs or Speakers

I have recently purchased my first car, a 97 monte carlo ls. I've heard mixed things about my stereo system as to just getting four good speakers and an amp for them or getting two front and two subs. With a budget of about $350 what would be best to do and any brand suggestions. I'm looking for clean sound yet power at the same time. Any other suggestions of what to do to the car would be appreciated, just remember I'm on a budget. Oh yeah and as far as the HU goes any suggestions?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM

It really depends what you want out of your sound system and what you think it lacks right now. An amp and 4 speakers will improve the overall sound quality, and overall sound volume- but you are still going to have the basic frequency restrictions that you do right now- no real bass.

Doing two front speakers will improve the sound quality in your most important speakers (the fronts) and add that extra bottom end with the subs- but without doing an amp for the main speakers, your main sound isn't going to be any louder.

However, looking at your budget- I just don't think you're going to be able to do a HU, front speakers, an amp, subs, and wiring for $350- heck you could easily spend all of it on a decent HU and front speakers alone. You'd also be hard pressed to get a decent sub system for $350 alone considering the amp, subs, box, wiring, etc.

I personally think you first need to tell us what you think your current sound system is lacking (overall volume, bass, highs, clarity, etc)- and which is your main priority to fix. Secondly I think that it sounds like you're trying to over stretch your budget a bit, you don't really want to replace everything with a bunch of low end stuff- you know?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:09 PM

Yeah I've looked into it and I've decided to go with 600(if there are no more engine issues to deal with) for my budget I underestimated alot of the costs at first. I'm really leaning towards getting speakers and my amp covered before subs seeing as they can wait in my opinion. Yet as far as the HU goes I've heard in Monte's you have to buy a special bracket for new HUs which can run around $100 is that true? And yes the HU is a must seeing as my current one doesn't even have a cd player.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Tannerdd724
Yeah I've looked into it and I've decided to go with 600(if there are no more engine issues to deal with) for my budget I underestimated alot of the costs at first. I'm really leaning towards getting speakers and my amp covered before subs seeing as they can wait in my opinion. Yet as far as the HU goes I've heard in Monte's you have to buy a special bracket for new HUs which can run around $100 is that true? And yes the HU is a must seeing as my current one doesn't even have a cd player.
Yea its true that special bracket runs around $100....I bought a cheaper one from Meijer for $50 and it works fine. The only problem is I think mine got wired wrong because my cars computer doesn't see that the doors are open so the music doesn't turn off so just make sure it gets wired right.

Last edited by Jmoney52; 04-01-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:58 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Crutchfield and sonic electronix usually give you the free installation kit with the headunit. And free shipping alot of the time. The installation kit includes the bracket and the adapter plug plus installation instructions if from crutchfield.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM

not sure if thats the same as my 97 lumina, but i got mine installed at bestbuy for 60 bucks.

the bracket was a normal graphite textured one that stuck out a little bit. im pretty sure it wsnt more than 20-30.

**** for ahundered bucks you could go to an audio shop and have them fiberglass you something.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:28 PM

Yea its true that special bracket runs around $100....I bought a cheaper one from Meijer for $50 and it works fine.
Not for a 97 LS- $100 is way too high. All he needs is a dash kit ($20 retail), an antenna adaptor ($12 retail), and a wiring harness adaptor ($18 retail). Obviously you can get all 3 cheaper online or what ever- but $100 for the adaptors for a 97 LS is garbage.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 PM

yeah, what i meant to say was it shoudnt be that much.

its a 1.5 din, and it stuck out a little, thats all i remember.

i also had a pioneer premier cd player in there that costed more than my car. lol shouldnt have gave that away with the lumi for sure.