General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Story behind my 03 Monte

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Story behind my 03 Monte

Since I haven't shared this yet, I thought I would tell the story of my 2003 Monte Carlo SS and the reasoning behind why I no longer have that car. My 03 was my first car, bought in 2005 after graduating from high school. Some know, and some of you may have noticed, but it was totaled back in 2010. I became a member of the Forum a year after this happened, now with my 2006 Monte Carlo SS, but have never really discussed the situation with my 03.

So, long story short. I was coming up to an intersection and had the green light. Lady in a Blazer was in the left turn lane opposite me (left turns in this direction of traffic at this particular intersection are unprotected, thus has to yield to oncoming traffic). She decides to make her left turn literally right in front of me as I was going thru the intersection. I virtually had no time to react when I realized what was happening and hit the front passenger corner of her truck doing a good 45mph.

I was okay, which was surprising. Had a few cuts on my hands and my left hand swelled up pretty bad from hitting, and cracking, the windshield. My car basically stopped dead in the middle of the intersection. I sent her Blazer about 90 feet into the corner of the intersection and pushed the truck's front end back to the firewall and front passenger tire about halfway across the front. The front frame and drive train on mine was pushed back four to five inches, most noticeable in the third pic down with the tire sitting further towards the rear. I'm pretty sure she wasn't paying attention because she had at least five seconds to make her turn before I got there and didn't, probably looked up and noticed the green light and just went, without noticing the YELLOW car coming.

Some pictures of the damage:

A picture from 2008 prior to being totaled (all modifications I had made to the car were done at this point):

I thought about getting something else, but in the end couldn't see myself with anything other than a Monte Carlo. I found my 2006 SS about two weeks after the accident. I have so far loved both cars. I plan on keeping my 06 and adding a black 1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe in the future.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 09-15-2012 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Updated pictures
Old 06-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

OUCH! I'm glad you weren't seriously injured in the accident. You had a very sharp lookin' '03.

Old 06-02-2012, 03:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Also glad to hear you weren't injured from the accident. Pretty cool that you chose to get another Monte

Old 06-02-2012, 04:08 PM

Looks like the GEN 6 hold up good in an accident. Glad now one was hurt bad.

It looked like a nice 03..

Old 06-02-2012, 11:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Sad story, but thanks for sharing it AND pictures. I have to say, I'm impressed by the pics. I say that because the car looks like it stayed pretty rigid. The WORST of the damage, contained to the front end (I'm sure there is a "ripple" effect through the body, but the point I'm making is the safety designs HELDED, the passenger space looks like it held STRONG protecting the people inside).

Good to know these cars can take a pounding like that AND we could still walk out in fairly good shape.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:50 AM

yea that sucks and ik the 5th gens r very tuff, got rear ended by big ford van on interstate(long story), but nice 2 kno what 6th gens will take sry for your luck but hey id much rather have a 06/07 ss with v8! i havnt put any of my wrecked 2000 up yet but, i hate when u get a green light and a car pulls out in front of u on the cross traffic side thinking he pull a slow n go right on red and make it before the green light people go, so stupid, but i have seen alot of cars do like what u said thats y i hate driving in general

Last edited by Midnight02; 06-03-2012 at 03:03 AM.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Man so glad yu got out of that one ok. The 03 mMonte looked sweet for sure.

Old 06-03-2012, 06:11 AM

Hi `Matt,
Thanks for posting & sharing...I'm sorry for your loss of your beautiful Monte, but happy to read that your injuries were minor. It also shows/reflects the safety of the Monte Carlo & how the crumble zones worked & protected the cabin

I think your made a great choice & investment by getting your awesome 06 S.S. as a replacement + I like your dream of getting a 4th Gen..

Wish you future safe miles & a trouble`free S.S.
Enjoy your Journey of Life in a Chevy Monte Carlo S.S. 4-Sure

Old 06-03-2012, 06:24 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That was a pretty nice car and this...

...is an awesome photo!

Thanks for sharing your story. Unfortunately life will be full of many stories like this if your lucky, not so many of these stories if your not so lucky...

Old 06-03-2012, 06:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

wow that was a nice monte, Glad to see someone else did what i did after the first monte, got another!! (we got the same one :O!)

Quick Reply: Story behind my 03 Monte