General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Sticky Sunroof? What the?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Stupid Sunroof!! What the?

Ok, first major issue ever with the Monte and its really aggravating.. My sunroof is being weird and I don't know Wth is going on with it. Bad button,loose wires.. I started dismantling it and checked the connections everything seems tight. I bought white lithium grease and lubed the track..no changes.. I'm lost here. The problem seems to happen on hot days only (the days ur sweating to death and wanna have the roof open) when its opening it jitters like it needs greased. (hence trying lithium grease). When its hot out, it also stops and when I say stops I mean it goes 1/16 movement each time u touch the button.. so u have to hit the button literally 16 times to open it fully.. in the evening when the car is cooled off, there's no issues. No jittering and opens fully with one touch. I'm scratching my head at this point.. I know it is something simple and stupid and I'm probably overthinking this entirely..any thoughts? Wrong grease maybe? Idk.

Last edited by Caffenated1; 08-03-2011 at 01:41 AM. Reason: was titled sticky sunroof til i thought about "sticky" postings.. decided it was best to change the title to avoid confusion.. what can i say? its 3am...
Old 08-03-2011, 03:58 AM

Sorry bub but the grease...always a good idea in moderation. I don't have a sunroof but check your button controls, I've something like that had that happen before on some of my cars. It really could be that the button no longer makes a connection to trigger the relay to fire that motor.

Does this happen when you hold down on the control?

Rowdysounds

Old 08-03-2011, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This was my next thought was replacing the switch itself.. it just seems odd that it'd be the button. I've never known electronics to work when cool and malfunction when hot..

Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM

I can tell you that your right...Electronics are odd. In my 02LS the drives window button is quirky. I need to push this is towards the seat and down to get the window up, however going down is normal.