General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

STEERING SHAFT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 07:35 PM
Default STEERING SHAFT?

Hello I bought the 05 mc SSalmost a week ago. Iv heard on here that the steering shaft is a common problem with our cars and will make a noise. I would like to know What you hear for or feel.

Because. I has driving today and the car drives smooth doesn't pull and the front end Feels solid. But once and awile I feel like a Thump/Clunk. Like it feel slike its the shaft becase I swareI can feel it driving stright and turning just the rite bump and then I just Feel it in the wheel.

The car is 2005 SS and 58,000KM Would this be under warranty or how much is this going to dmg the pocket.

Any advice would be Help full.

Steve,

Old 01-31-2009, 09:27 PM
Default RE: STEERING SHAFT?

yea i would like to know to and its not under warrenty but i think all you have to do is grease it but not sure

Old 01-31-2009, 09:53 PM

Correct. Ive heard that befor But I would like to Knowwhat exaclly has to be done. And if this evanis my problem. but it seems to me its slopy.

Anyone Can give me a forsure on this thank you.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:06 PM

may be totally unrelated or not but i have an 03 an had some steering issues only to come to find out it was the powersteering

Old 01-31-2009, 10:14 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month - April 2008

http://www.naioa.com/v2/modules.php?...c&p=142637

You should only feel/hear it whendriving at lower speeds (should not feel/hear it at highway speed)when you turn the wheel or hit a bump. You'll feel it in the steering wheel and sometimes the brake pedal. Your passanger will probably never hear it but you can. The best way to describe it is a thunk-clunk. Usually when it first starts you'll just feel a teeny "tick" in the steering and it gets worse from there.

There is another new design out that is supposed to fix it. I'm waiting for those that have gotten it to get some more miles on their cars before I get mine changed.

BTW, my steering does NOT feel sloppy at all.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:47 PM

DustyBird Yea sorry i didnt mean sloppy. Its kinda exaclly what you say you only feel it in the steering wheel and its like a clunk i feel and can kinda hear it when window is down but really have to pay attention.

what is thier to the greesing steering shaft? what has to be done and its not warrenty? will it happen again after gressing? And will this ever efect steering or it will remain fine for long time?

Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 PM
Photobucket

Hearing it is kinda hard to explain, it's almost like you "hear" it through your hands, LOL.

Hubby greased mine about a year ago, didn't take long so guess it wasn't a big deal to do. I found that link and showed it to him and he did it. It doesn't last forever though, it needs it again, but I also don't think he used as much as he probably could have. Be forewarned, wear a mask while spraying it though, that lithium grease stinks and probably shouldn't be inhaled.
According to GM it's not a safety issue that's why they won't recall it. For a while their way of fixing it was a lube job because replacing it was also only temporary.
I'll probably replace mine sometime later this year if it looks like the new ones are going to hold up. I have a friend that works for a Chevy dealer and he does work on the side. I'll keep checking with him to see if he gets any of the new improved ones back in for replacements before I do it though.
Good luck.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:47 PM

ok thank you. Soo it wont become a huge issiue if i drive? itwont just give out and no steering? or should i do it right away a greesing?

please keep me posted on that new desine that may last longer..

Old 02-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Photobucket

I can't really answer that. They say it's not a safety issue, it just an annoyance,but I'd go ahead and get it greased pretty soon.