General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): She's going under the paint gun! lol!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 11:50 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default She's going under the paint gun! lol!

My Monte is going in for some body work today (right after work)! Some may recall before I got the Monte out for the spring (while I was working on that evap core), my neighbor had an issue with a riding mower resulting in flying objects and 3-4 big dings in my front passenger side fender). Well, the body guy I want to do the work is FINALLY able to take her in....

While in, I'm getting work done on the front bumper. Before I bought the Monte it had been in an accident, the front bumper was repainted and the prep work was CRAP (paint is peeling/spider webbing/chipping). And the rear bumper has a couple crease marks in it (ever so slight, most people can't see them). I have a donor bumper to get painted and swapped on.

Before anyone asks, I have no idea how long she'll be in the shop. This is pretty much a 1 man operation (sometimes he has someone working with him). He specializes in classic car restoration. He did this awesome paint job on my friend's '55 Chevy Pick Up.

I hope I won't be without my Monte for long, but I know the guy doing the work will make sure I'm thrilled with the end result.

Old 07-05-2012, 11:56 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

You have plenty of cars in the stable to drive, as long as the Monte comes out perfect, who cares how long it takes!

Old 07-05-2012, 12:05 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

Good luck cant wait to see how it turns out

Old 07-05-2012, 12:19 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013

I wish I could have all my touch ups and repairs done. I have a few chips on the door where it was hitting the fender and three or 4 dents all from the previous owner. And my few little nicks from getting rear ended. The only thing is if I get it fixed then I'm gonna be even more protective and cautious. Good luck

Old 07-05-2012, 01:24 PM

Geez changing of the guards - mine should be coming home tomorrow.

Out of curiosity, who are you taking yours to?

Old 07-05-2012, 05:26 PM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
You have plenty of cars in the stable to drive, as long as the Monte comes out perfect, who cares how long it takes!
Especially right now, the wife has been out of town all this week, due back Saturday/Sunday. I'd rather take her Impala then my Grand Am (but we pull the insurance during the summer to "storage" and just start her up now and then, love the remote start for that).

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
Out of curiosity, who are you taking yours to?
A place called Body Exotic in Euclid. It's pretty much a 1-man shop, ran by a guy named Ralph. Right now he has a guy working for him. Ralph did all the body work and paint job on my friend's '55 Chevy Pick Up years ago (awesome work, my friend takes it to the car show in DownTown Willoughby each year he can). Ralph also did the paint for my 7th gen spoiler and trunk lid.
And when I switched employers last August, I now work like 5 minutes from Ralph's shop.

I'm not sure how his prices stack up, but what's important to me, he cares about his work AND does great work.

To be honest, if it was not for the issue my neighbor caused with the mower incident, I probably would have held off on the bumpers another year (especially since I dropped a bunch of cash in the car this year for various things). But, it's time has come!

Old 07-05-2012, 05:46 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

glad to see its getting fixed the right way!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 PM

nice. Did your neighbor at least help pay?

Old 07-05-2012, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
It's pretty much a 1-man shop, ran by a guy named Ralph.
That's the best kind of shop - my body guy is just him and his 2 sons - his sons do most of the work now, though since Dave, the owner is getting up in his years (his wife won't let him retire )!

But classic cars is a lot of his business as well. They were actually working on a '65 Riviera Gran Sport today while I was taking a peek at mine.

Old 07-06-2012, 06:21 AM

10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Mr Grizzly Mint
nice. Did your neighbor at least help pay?
When I found the piece of metal and the damage, my neighbor called his insurance the next day and the fender damage is being covered by his home owner policy. IMO, my neighbor did exactly what I would have expected, he handled the problem and his insurance is making this as easy as can be. BUT, his end stops at the damage on the fender (the reason I want the bumpers done all pre-dates this incident, but with the front bumper there is some overlap in work which will hopefully save me a little money in the end, but I don't expect it to be much if at all).

Originally Posted by Mike 00LS
That's the best kind of shop - my body guy is just him and his 2 sons
I agree, I felt this kind of shop (small to no staff with an emphasis on classic car restoration) is the way to fly. He has a lot of experience and I've seen his results on my friend's truck. Not to mention, after he did my spoiler work, he stressed if something happens or does not look right to contact him, he wants the shot to fix it (if something is wrong) rather then someone stewing over it.

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): She's going under the paint gun! lol!