General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

RWD Monte, very interesting, wish I had money and shop to do it!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 11:32 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

As Mike 00LS mentioned, this member discusses owning the car but feels if someone wants to do a RWD conversion, they need to figure it out for themselves, hence part of the reason he states he does not want to share any information.
Enlight of being one of the people to witness that thread and people being disappointed, I'd much rather not discuss that member or suggest getting more information beyond a neat YouTube video.

Perhaps if someone else has or does do a functional RWD they might be more inclined to share information about the process. Even though I have no plans to do a RWD conversion, I think the information would be cool to see and read about.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I agree Jason, and not to stir the pot. But I can also understand people's frustration. The owner of the car said he would post pictures in the other thread, and never did.

But rather than start a new argument, let's do like Jason posted, and just take the video for what it is. And if someone else does a RWD conversion, hopefully they'll be more willing to help others try it themselves. After all, we aren't born knowing everything. We all need help from others occasionally.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
I agree Jason, and not to stir the pot. But I can also understand people's frustration. The owner of the car said he would post pictures in the other thread, and never did.

But rather than start a new argument, let's do like Jason posted, and just take the video for what it is. And if someone else does a RWD conversion, hopefully they'll be more willing to help others try it themselves. After all, we aren't born knowing everything. We all need help from others occasionally.
Iam thinking he did a floor pan swap with a RWD car or fab his own rear spring hangers ect.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by zjerry
Iam thinking he did a floor pan swap with a RWD car or fab his own rear spring hangers ect.
If it wasn't for 6th gens being unibody, I'd suspect he dropped a Monte body onto the frame of a RWD car. But if it was that easy, everybody would do it.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 PM

thats how people do it with the 5th gens.

he cut the tunnel and fabbed a new one. he had pics of that up.

i personally feel that if you do something for money it probably wouldnt be the smartest thing in the world to tell everyone exactly how to do it. i also think speculating that someone isnt telling the truth because they wont post an in depth step by step how to is absurd. im not saying believe everything you read online, but it would be really odd to post on a forum for a couple of years showing progress pics of a car, and then post a video of the same car up and running if you didnt own it. thinking someone went through all of that trouble only to fool the masses, and the common herd for some cheap thrill is a ridiculous thing to believe. not to mention if you have to ask how it can be done its highly unlikely you possess the skill, or ability to accomplish it. if youre going to try and convert one of the 6/7th gens to rwd you are most definitely going to have to be well versed in fabrication, and if you were then there wouldnt be a need to ask how to do it. they have schools that one can go to to obtain such knowledge, i dont think a forum is the place to go to for that.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2011
Monte Of The Month -- December 2016
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by TheMonteMan
thats how people do it with the 5th gens.

he cut the tunnel and fabbed a new one. he had pics of that up.

i personally feel that if you do something for money it probably wouldnt be the smartest thing in the world to tell everyone exactly how to do it. i also think speculating that someone isnt telling the truth because they wont post an in depth step by step how to is absurd. im not saying believe everything you read online, but it would be really odd to post on a forum for a couple of years showing progress pics of a car, and then post a video of the same car up and running if you didnt own it. thinking someone went through all of that trouble only to fool the masses, and the common herd for some cheap thrill is a ridiculous thing to believe. not to mention if you have to ask how it can be done its highly unlikely you possess the skill, or ability to accomplish it. if youre going to try and convert one of the 6/7th gens to rwd you are most definitely going to have to be well versed in fabrication, and if you were then there wouldnt be a need to ask how to do it. they have schools that one can go to to obtain such knowledge, i dont think a forum is the place to go to for that.
I hear you on the fabrication skills , Because when I put my 1940 chevy together people asked why I used a 1974 nova sub frame on the front of my 1940 frame.. I told them I did alot of measuring to make sure it would work out .., I still think you could cut the floor out an put the floor in from a camaro in that way the rear spring mounts ect.. would be there..

Old 05-06-2013, 10:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

i personally feel that if you do something for money it probably wouldnt be the smartest thing in the world to tell everyone exactly how to do it.
From what I recall seeing, I don't think he ever said he intended to do RWD for money. If so, I could have more understanding of wanting to retain "trade secrets". It came off more like an artist not wanting to teach someone how to paint, rather suggest they develop their own style (best way I can sum up what I've read from the past posts way back when).

i also think speculating that someone isnt telling the truth because they wont post an in depth step by step how to is absurd.
Simply put, I agree with this statement. I don't think it's happening in this thread, but I know there was a history about that with this car. I think people were really into his car (as it represented one of the wildest and biggest mods the 6th gen Monte could probably see). And seeing pics and getting information simply makes us feel closer to admiring what was done.

As far as I'm concerned, at this point it is all ancient history. There is zero value in arguing about who's car it was/is and the work involved into it. Regardless of who owned it, who did the work and how it was done, the RWD converted Monte is truly a cool car and an awesome project to be able to inspire others as proof it can be done (and by that video, that alone is proof it can be done).

Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 AM

If he told you how to do it, then you would do it and so would everybody else and it wouldn't be one of a kind anymore. When I bought my Monte, everybody loved it. Then another guy I know got one and everybody was like 'okay, whatever'

But, anyway... That's really sick. I wonder what motor it has in it. Can't tell from the low quality sound, but it dont sound like a 3800. I don't know if I would ever convert mine. I would rather buy a 06 GTO to go fast and keep the Monte as a cruiser

Old 05-07-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
Simply put, I agree with this statement. I don't think it's happening in this thread, but I know there was a history about that with this car.

As far as I'm concerned, at this point it is all ancient history.
I'd agree - I know my post may sound like I was agreeing with those not believing, but I'm just passing on opinions of those that posted in the original thread (which I don't think I was one of). Mainly because I could care less, it's definitely cool and I like seeing that people still want to do something cool to the platform, but it's something I'd never embark on anyways. The ones that did/do the arguing are mostly all just driven by envy because they wouldn't even know where to start to do something like that.

Old 05-07-2013, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
From what I recall seeing, I don't think he ever said he intended to do RWD for money. If so, I could have more understanding of wanting to retain "trade secrets".
i talked to him at length about it, and someone asked once on another thread about this car, and what something like that would cost. i told them what he said he would charge me when we spoke, which was 8k with me providing my 7th gen and the other drivetrain. i even said once that that wasnt all that bad when you take into account you can get a rolling 6th gen with no motor or trans, but a straight body for a decent price. if you swap it the way he did youd need a lsx motor, trans, and the corvette rear end(at that point you might as well just get a totaled corvette). total investment would probably put it in the 15k range unless you already had a 6/7th gen.

i also had asked him about putting the car on g body frame like the 5th gen, and he said he wouldnt do it that way. his reasoning was why put a modern car on a 30+ year old frame, whose braking and handling were poor by 70/80s standards. after hearing that what he said made sense. owning a a/gbody car i can tell you they do handle and brake like total garbage, and i wouldnt want to ruin a nice car just to be able to do rwd burnouts. if your going to do it it would have to make the car far better than it was when it came from the factory or it wouldnt be worth the time, money, or effort.

Quick Reply: RWD Monte, very interesting, wish I had money and shop to do it!!