General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Runaway RPM's / Cruise Control??

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Runaway RPM's / Cruise Control??

The Cruise Control didn't Cancel for me, earlier tonight ... at least that what I think ... Unless a NEW Air Filter replacing a seriously Clogged Air Filter fooled the O-2 Sensor for a bit.
The Monte was "Getting Away" on me. I had my foot on the brakes and she was sstill pulling. I finally just turned-off the key and brought her to a halt at the side of the road. When I sgtarted it back up, in neutral, it was acting like it was hitting the limiter and pulsating between 3K and 45-Hundred Rev's. Made me real nervous. I had to limp along the road turning on the ignition and killing the power for awhile until the SECURITY Light came on and then ... a re-start had her acting prety normal, again.

It was scary. The brakes wouldn't bring the car to a halt. That ain't the way to have fun; son ... that ain't the way to have fun!

So, what happened. The set-up is I changed-out an air filter and moved the air flow meter to get the box out. It looked like it went in like it came out and I double-checked the Hose Clamp going from the rubber gooseneck to the Intake on the Manifold. I'm sure everything was cool. I WAS playing with the Cruise Control to get a feel of how that was going to act. Maybe I found out!!!

Any thoughts from the Monte Carlo Brain Trust on that little adventure???

Rick Massey
(How do I get a Cool-looking "Signature Car Picture"???

Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Default RE: Runaway RPM's / Cruise Control??

Holy snap Rick! So much for that pair of underwear, eh? lol

Perhaps the MAF was shocked by the amount of air coming in all of a sudden and added more fuel.