General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Reflections on a one-year ownership anniversary

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Default Reflections on a one-year ownership anniversary

Greetings all.

One year ago May 26th, my journey down the road of Monte Carlo ownership began. I've been grinning ever since. On this slow night, I thought I'd pontificate about what owning and operating this machine has been like...both good and not-so-good. Feel free to back me up if you think I'm right, or boo me if you think I'm full of it lol.

(Background: '07 Monte LT. 3.5-liter V6. Currently 26K miles. All stock. No mods. All the options except a sunroof. Silver with light gray leather.)

Pros:
1) 29 highway MPG! That'll work nicely on long roadtrips! To think that a plus-sized, V6-powered American coupe gets that MPG, and maybe more.
2) Long wheelbase gives that amazingly smooth ride.
3) Big trunk.
4) 211 HP that's (for me at least) neither too slow nor too crazy-fast.
5) Peace of mind of an active OnStar system with the Directions and Connections plan.
6) XM satellite radio! Since activation, I've played CD's all of TWICE.
7) Automatic lights. Never have to think about 'em when dusk falls.
8) Remote start! Love getting that oil circulating in that crankcase on cold days a minute before actually getting in and driving away, and puzzling pedestrians walking past it. ("It's haunted!")
9) Plenty of room and stretch-out space. I'm 6'0", and this car almost makes me feel short!
10) Humorous reactions from import-loving friends and neighbors who just don't get the appeal of a midsize American coupe. (One remark made with a cocked head that made me laugh: "Is it a Malibu?" )
11) Standing out from the crowd in a good way. If I visit an area public park heavy with soccer parents on a nice day, there sits a huge row of late-model Honda Odysseys...with my Monte right in the middle of it! Gee, I wonder which ride belongs to the single guy!
12) Having a good chunk of that 5-yr/100K-mile powertrain warranty still remaining, which is why I went out of my way to find a 2007 model.

Cons:
1) That trunk may be big, but Chevy sure skimped on its carpet quality. That open middle seam is big enough to drive a truck through!
2) From stops and slow movement, that 4-speed tranny upshifts for fuel economy's sake way too soon. Having to prod it gets annoying.
3) Parking in tight spots can be challenging due to the car's width.
4) Opening those big doors without bumping anything or anyone can be a battle. Nature of the beast.
5) Getting poked by my insurance company just because it's a (gasp!) two-door! Gee thanks.

By and large, I'm very happy, and am glad to be in the company of others who appreciate this model's attributes. In this import-heavy city, this site is an oasis.

-M
Charlotte, NC (Home of the track where many Montes have kicked butt!)

Old 06-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

God Bless America and Chevrolet

Old 06-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I love my Monte!

Old 06-20-2010, 05:23 PM

Monte Of The Month -- June 2010

congrats on your first year =) i celebrated my 2 year anniversary with my monte on may 21 this year.