General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Reducing Knock/Engine Temps.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 12:27 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by trewyn15
do you know where i could get it scanned?

and that a/c thing makes sense ill keep it then, also i already have the custom tuned pcm from milzy, i think it already has all that crap done but either way a tstats gonna open when it gets to 180* so why would a pcm matter?
The tstat will open at 180 if it's a 180 tstat. Do you have your fans cut on at 180* as well (this is controlled by the PCM)?

Old 07-16-2010, 08:21 AM

I had napa scan for me, but I dont know if its all napas that can do it, ive just always been in there and know the guys pretty well so they just did it for me. As for your PCM, from what I understand, you (as well as I) have what is called a "canned tune" meaning its pretty much "one size fits all". There really isnt anything custom about it. To have a real custom tune, you need somone with the software and a laptop to plug into under teh dash, then you need to drive that person around so they can custom tune everything. So they know exactly what is going on when YOU are driving YOUR car, then they can tune accordingly. This is what im in the middle of trying to find so I can get rid of the KR, Ive had mine scanned and I got a little problem with it. And Ive been told a real good tune will almost eliminate KR.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 AM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2012
Monte Of The Month -- December 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Eh, a "canned tune" is still a tune. It's just a basic one - they mess with the fueling a bit, increase transmission line pressure, and raise timing (raised timing is why you should use higher octane gas). I'm sure they do a few more things, but that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:23 AM

I had napa scan for me, but I dont know if its all napas that can do it,
Did they actually go ride with you and scan for KR at wide open throttle? Nice to have some friends there, huh?

And Ive been told a real good tune will almost eliminate KR.
Just a heads up for the boosted guys reading this- even though a custom tune can eliminate KR on most supercharger pulley sizes- its still not a replacement for doing the actual mods to run a smaller SC pulley. Because once everything is dialed in with fueling; if you still have KR- you generally get rid of it by increasing WOT fueling, and lowering timing in the cells that have KR- basically you lose power from timing and drowning it in fuel. Just so you don't think you can put a 3.25" on a stock engine and just tune the KR out.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by nitehawkjcb
The tstat will open at 180 if it's a 180 tstat. Do you have your fans cut on at 180* as well (this is controlled by the PCM)?
yeah theyre on at 180* and they stay on for a while after the car is off too

Old 07-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Yeah, I took a couple of them for a ride just for the hell of it. It started with me just gonna take them to lunch and kinda hit em with the question. You know, "hey you wanna check somthing for me real quick??" But yeah, Im in there all the time so they couldnt really say no. Come to think of it, if they got the stuff to check that, wouldnt they be able to tune some stuff too? But then again, they would have to know what they're doing huh?

@Trewyn>> How long do your fans stay on after you shut off the car? Do they stay on at full speed, or kinda just keep it blowing on low speed? Mine doesnt always stay on, and its NEVER at full speed? Man, I need a real tune!!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 03:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

it shuts off, but then it turns back on later after like 30 seconds, i never stayed to see how long it stays on but it doesnt go at full speed, probably half speed.