General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Recommended brands?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

This is the one i have now! Not the most expensive intake available...

Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Monte Of The Month - February 2010
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

member: zjerry made this, it's not to far from what you have, maybe ask him what exactly he used for it.......

Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The one you have now is ok if you box in the filter, as of right now your hurting your performance more than helping. zjerry and a few others have made fenderwell intakes out of these roof pipe covers

Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

intake: cold air inductions
rotors and pads: ebay (they will come in a kit make sure pads are ceramic for alot less brake dust)
caliper paint: g2 kit
exhaust: this is personal preference, me i wouldnt do anything for sound i would put a set of headers on which will delete the "u" bend and give you a high flow cat. from there i would run 2.5" stainless pipe with a glass pack for a resonator all manderal bent and stock mufflers that will fit under the car that are 2.5" inlet and then a nice set of tips. but again i dont like the sound of these cars IMO there really raspy and sound bad unless your turboed.....

get on youtube for all kinds of sound clips of exhausts.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:38 PM

I truly believe Cold Air Inductions, Inc. makes an excellent CAI. Just superb build quality and functionality, genuine customer service.

Btw you're exhaust piping shouldn't be more than 2.5"-3.0" (the latter if you're superchargerd).

I can't stress enough the value of the dollar (I think I'm like a year or two older than you) so save, save, save this year!

Old 10-23-2012, 01:10 AM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

I'm going to go against the grain here and try and save you a little money. Imagine that, me going against the others here?? Odd.

•Cold Air Intake -Make your own! Much cheaper. If you need help or want ideas, contact me! I can hook you up with some cool and affordable ideas
•Slotted/drilled rotors -I honestly wouldn't go for the drilled and slotted, Centric is the way to go IMO (get the ones with E-coating if you can!) I belive Chibi (Mike) recommended them a while back, great price for the quality
•Red brake calipers -Duplicolor Brush on kit! Aside from the crappy brush it came with, it was great with a different brush! Only time will tell how long it will last, but if you prep it right, I see it lasting a long time!
•brake pads -EBC is good stuff (no pun intended lol) but seriously, red-stuff FTW
•Exhaust -As much as I love the sound of my SLP PowerFlo system, for the price ($550) I won't recommend it, delete the resonator and u-bend, and get some mufflers of choice. If you want to do headers, I can only recommend Speed Daddys, Cheap and good quality (usually $200 shipped!)

Hope some of this was helpful. I know you said you're sick of taking the cheap route, but in all honesty, there's ways to make power for cheap. With an intake for example: CAI, K&N, JMB, Thrasher, you're just paying for a name.. Same for a full exhaust system. No offense to other members, but I'm just speaking from experience. I spent the money for the K&N Intake, SLP exhaust, and wish I would have just put the money elsewhere. Just trying to save you a buck where you can.. Put that money towards more mods, or (I know it sounds lame) but a savings account is always great to have, especially with modifying a car and ENJOYING it, parts will break, but will your wallet be prepared to fix them?

BTW, I love the quote in your signature.

Last edited by 01 Monte SS; 10-23-2012 at 01:13 AM.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Yes, make sure the calipers are prepped properly because it will help tremendously with the durability of the paint in the long run. A thorough cleaning obviously but make sure they're sanded well so you get proper paint adhesion.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:08 AM
Monte of the Month -- December 2013
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I said calipers because i was planning on just getting new calipers all together. the ones i have now are rusted beyond repair, and also i HATE the look of having large calipers up front and the dinks in the rear. Basically i was planning on getting everything in the wheel-well area new, because by the end of next summer, i plan to save up enough money for some American Racing Santa Cruz's, so i want everything in the area to look nice, instead of rusted, cracked, and vintage

Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by ..Scar'lette..
I said calipers because i was planning on just getting new calipers all together. the ones i have now are rusted beyond repair, and also i HATE the look of having large calipers up front and the dinks in the rear. Basically i was planning on getting everything in the wheel-well area new, because by the end of next summer, i plan to save up enough money for some American Racing Santa Cruz's, so i want everything in the area to look nice, instead of rusted, cracked, and vintage
The centric rotors I recommended will look great for a long time because of their E-coating. Do you have any pictures of your calipers? Mine weren't so great either but they cleaned up well and now that they're painted you can't even tell they were once rusted and ugly. I wouldn't spend the money to replace them unless they are not working properly. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Something I don't always follow but I wish I did more often

Old 10-23-2012, 03:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

x2, a wire wheel on a drill and some time on each rotor and then painting them with the g2 kit, it looks great!

Quick Reply: 6th Gen ('00-'05): Recommended brands?