General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Rearends

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 04:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

in...that u could probabaly get out of a car with similar frame geometry...i think i heard a body's rearend will work

Old 08-29-2009, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member1 Year Member

I was talking to my dad earlier and he said that I could get a posi out of an Astro van.

Old 08-30-2009, 12:58 AM

the rear in the gbody is a 7.5. the olds 442 and the buick gn came with the 8.5 but would bolt right up and has 28 spline axles on top of a bigger ring gear. the gearing shouldnt matter either way cause the car should have a overdrive in it. the more gearing the better especially if its a 305 car. you should be able to get a posi carrier out of any 7.5 rear that has 26 spline axles. to check it i believe you can jack the car from the pumpkin obviously block the front wheels and use jackstands. put the car in neutral and spin the wheel by hand it the other wheel spins in the opposite direction its an open rear. have someone hold the other wheel while you turn it if it fights a little and wants to turn in the same direction its prolly a posi. to be a 100% sure take off the rear cover there should be clutches in there.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:55 AM

Help!

As we are driving the car, when we come to a stop, its as if the car does not downshift, than when we start off, it will slam into first from drive, than operate normally. If we start off manually in first, it is fine. Help us!

Old 08-31-2009, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by cindyo
Help!

As we are driving the car, when we come to a stop, its as if the car does not downshift, than when we start off, it will slam into first from drive, than operate normally. If we start off manually in first, it is fine. Help us!
um yeah, this has nothing to with this thread so why even try buddy? start a new thread or use the search if you want answers. if you have a question about a rear axle we would be happy to give our opinion.