General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Reaction from friends/family when you bought a Monte

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 01:12 PM
Default Reaction from friends/family when you bought a Monte

Afternoon everyone.

I'd love to hear what kind of reception you got from those around you (friends, family, neighbors, colleagues, etc.) when you chose to buy your Monte Carlo.

When I bought my '07 MC LT, I noticed that reaction depended mostly on where peoples' loyalties were.

Domestic fans (such as many of my workplace colleagues) practically gave me a 21-gun salute for buying the car, and complimented it plenty. After 9+ years in an import, many were glad to see me buying American.

Import fans didn't get it and still don't. Many thought I had gone completely off the reservation. The funniest reaction involved a cocked head like a puzzled dog, with a comment of "Is it a Malibu?" I took it in stride.

My mom loves it and thinks its gorgeous. My dad (a believer in/buyer of small and foreign since 1978) reacted with silent indifference. I think he's waiting for the first breakdown as an opportunity to give me a round of "I told you so." One brother didn't know what to think, and the other was curious about the technology within like OnStar and XM radio.

Many friends think that I've gotten caught up in this region's NASCAR culture because I live in Charlotte NC and bought a Monte. That has nothing to do with it. I was looking for a well-equipped, affordable, comfortable midsize coupe (a rare breed now), and the Monte fit the bill. Although I'm impressed by the model's record on the track, that didn't play into my decision.

So, what did the people around -you- say when you got your ride?

-M

Old 03-02-2010, 01:25 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

My Monte still gets complimented left and right. People don't normally think to buy them I feel, but when they see one that is nice they will look twice and make a point to let you know it's nice.

And they are full-size coupes

Old 03-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Fallen to the Dark Side - Resident Ford Man
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I was looking at Camaro's, Firebirds, and Mustangs when I bought mine... saw one and that's about all I looked for after that. Most people liked it... although several had no clue what it was until they read the badge (a few even thought it was a Camaro ) Everyone I know has really liked it... a few of the rednecks in the high school I was attending told me I should have stayed in the truck... I didn't really like the truck though.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:42 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

man they loved it I can't even go to a gas station with out being asked about it it happens even more now that I have the strips on it !!

Old 03-02-2010, 01:43 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

everyone was like your joking right, u didnt actually buy that did you

but mine was missing parts when i got it so reaction was expected lol

Old 03-02-2010, 02:04 PM

A few of my friends drive Hondas or Toyotas... they're not car people so they were all pretty indifferent about my 04. LOL, they couldn't understand my excitement over it.

My friends and family that appreciate cars absolutely loved it. My son thinks its the coolest car he's ever seen. He's begging for it to be his in a couple years but I think my 11 yr old daughter might fight him for it - she's already planning paint and light mods for it. (i don't think either one of them will ever get it away from me! )

Probably the biggest complement so far is from the mechanic's shop. It was there for a week. When I picked it up they said everyone that came in was checking it out and saying how nice it was.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:23 PM
Default reactions ........

When I first started looking for one; I was looking for Blue / Yellow
Pace Car Editions and had to give up on that idea because of NO ONE
SELLING THEIRS which I can understand now. They're Beautiful Cars.

I missed the the first couple that I found of the color that I have now
and pretty much gave up when I found the one I have now. I Love it !
I get several compliments on it and stares at the stop light. My G/F wasn't
happy with me for about a week but she got over it and she loves the heated
seats. My friends from Church have liked it from day one. Since I drive a S10
everyday to work; my co-workers did'nt see it until the waterpump whent out
in the S10. They were Shocked except for a couple who did know about it
when I pulled up in it . It's a uncommon color and I like it

Old 03-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

I got different reactions from different people as well.

First I should mention that I traded in a 99 Grand Am GT coupe for the Monte. The two cars I had before that were both Cavaliers. A 1985, then a 1991. So moving to a Monte was moving up in size.

Any family and friends into Nascar was like, "Junior huh?!? Looks good!" But most of my family aren't interested in racing at all. So their comments were positive, but somewhat indifferent. "Nice car. What's with the stripes and the number 8 on the sides? You do that yourself?"

I did get a few people who think of the Monte as kind of an old man car. And me being 36 at the time I bought it, got some strange looks.

But for the most part, I get a lot of compliments on it. At a 7-11 one time, a teenager commented "man, that thing is bad as hell". Wonder what he'd say to a new Camaro.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:51 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
At a 7-11 one time, a teenager commented "man, that thing is bad as hell". Wonder what he'd say to a new Camaro.
Probably would say "Man, that thing is bad as hell."

Old 03-02-2010, 03:01 PM

All my friends think its sweet i have a monte, and it was always one of the nicest cars in the parking lot at school, i had teachers saying how nice my car is. Every one at school, work, even when i go to friends houses their parents say how they like my car. so id say its all positive feedback.

Quick Reply: Reaction from friends/family when you bought a Monte