General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

question about 4th gen Monte Carlo

Old 09-03-2011, 12:39 PM
Default question about 4th gen Monte Carlo

I need help. I am trying to figure out how my Monte left the assembly line. The car has had interior and body panels replaced and the data sheets are gone. It is an 81 turbo and I would like to restore it back to as delivered new. I am not very knowledgeable about restoring Chevy's. Thanks Gregg

Old 09-03-2011, 07:43 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, you could use the CompNine VIN decoder.

LINK---> Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

This VIN decoder is extremely detailed. In most cases it will give you the build date and every original option (RPO) on the vehicle. This service is completely free and instant.

For parts, you may want to try Original Parts Group Inc.

LINK---> www.opgi.com

Hope this helps!

Old 09-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Well, you could use the CompNine VIN decoder.

LINK---> Comprehensive Chevrolet, Saturn, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Geo, Dodge, Plymouth, Jeep, Chrysler, Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Truck, Mercedes VIN Decoder

This VIN decoder is extremely detailed. In most cases it will give you the build date and every original option (RPO) on the vehicle. This service is completely free and instant.

For parts, you may want to try Original Parts Group Inc.

LINK---> www.opgi.com

Hope this helps!
Thanks Taz; I will give that a try. I have been looking for the answer to this question for almost three years. I may have a strange outlook when it comes to classic cars. I feel that if you own a very rare car and it needs to be restored then it should be restored back to original specs so that others can enjoy that piece of automotive history. Because my car is a loaded T-top Turbo I know it is rare. I know in Mopar circles the cars can be broken down into this is one of six for example. I don't know if the same pertains to Chevy's but if so I would like to know how rare my car is. I know that they built 3027 turbo Monte's in 81. I know of that number not all of them had T-Tops and were loaded. At some point I would like to add a fourth gen SS to my fleet and maybe an Aerocoupe too. Gregg.

Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The VIN decoder only goes back to 1980. Your 81 might be near it's limit. Hopefully it has the info you're looking for.

Old 09-22-2011, 12:59 AM

Hi Lou; I've tried this link a few times and I get a blank screen. I've tried going into it a few different ways with no luck. Am I doing something wrong?