General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

pumping gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 01:29 AM
Default pumping gas

this may sound really dumb, but has anyone ever had a problem pumping gas in their monte? the other day i was at a quicktrip and the pump kept clicking off like it was full. no matter how i postioned it, it would'nt pump for more than a few seconds. i went to another gas station (phillips 66) and it worked just fine. this is the second time this has happed. both were at quicktrips. i feel like a retard, but this has never happend in the millions of time i've pumped gas in millions of cars.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 AM

If it worked fine at the other station I'd have to gather it's just something wrong with that particular station's fueling pumps. If the problem persists, and at other stations besides quicktrips I might be concerned. But I can safely say I've had no issues pumping gas in my Monte, just seems like she can never get enough...

Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 AM

Happens every now and then with all my vehicles, past & present. I usually just pull the nozzle out a little bit and it works fine. Think ithas something to do with the air pressure in the tank the pump thinks taht the tank is full because of all the pressure but when you pull the nozzle out just a little it lets air out of the tank as gas goes in... or at least that's my theory.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by JAFO
Happens every now and then with all my vehicles, past & present. I usually just pull the nozzle out a little bit and it works fine. Think ithas something to do with the air pressure in the tank the pump thinks taht the tank is full because of all the pressure but when you pull the nozzle out just a little it lets air out of the tank as gas goes in... or at least that's my theory.
i think you're right brian. i've had this happen also and yes it makes you feel pretty stupid. i will pull the nozzle out a little more and set the pump on the lowest speed or else hand pump it and nurse it along. it really ticks me off.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:59 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've had it happen before too. It is SUPER annoying. But its not just the Monte, the rental Cobalt I had did it once too. Bonneville's done it too, and my sister Solara...So I would agree, its not the car, its the damn pumps...makes me want to just put the pump back, and leave when it happens.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:33 PM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2009
I'M NOT OLD, I'M JUST WELL MARINATED.
5 Year Member

Your right Michael, its the pumps. Something about the vapor recycling system isnt working. When i get a pump like that, i just usually stop and go to another pump or station.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:58 PM

i'm glad i'm not the only one who has had this problem. it makes me feel a lot less like a moron.

Old 08-21-2009, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo7
i'm glad i'm not the only one who has had this problem. it makes me feel a lot less like a moron.
I had this issues and still do but I know what it is. I had an EVAP code thrown which told me it was the PCS (Pressure Control Solenoid) which regulates that vapors coming from the gas tank. The reason it keeps going off is because the solenoid is not venting the vapors and its almost like the gas is bubbling up and setting the pump sensor off. The first thing I would do is change your gas cap and see if that is the issue its probably not but I tried it just to see for the Check engine light. The only other thing to do is replace the PCS which involves dropping the gas tank. I took it to my guy to see how much and he quoted me $300 just cause of the labor going into dropping the tank. Hopefully that helped maybe you do not have the same problem but thought I would throw it in there.

I did get the check engine light off and now I just nurse the pump so o well better than $300? lol

Last edited by Pure2sin; 08-21-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Lol it reminds me of my trip xcountry in my monte, I stopped for gas and it was about 2am and the gas station i pulled into the lights were off inside but the pump lights were on. The pumps would pump 50 cents in gas then shut off, yeah so there i am 50 cents at a time pumping 2 gallons into the monte :P

on my way back to the freeway through the town (decent size town) I found a full service station 100 miles between towns that was not going to be a good gamble.

Old 08-21-2009, 07:01 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't recall it ever happening to my Montes, but I think it happened in my 05 Mustang. But it could have also been the gas stations pump. I pretty much only use Shell gas in my cars and I have had no problems with their pumps.