General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Project "Batmobile"

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 06:13 PM

true,but my car is worth like 5k not even and a ss is around 7 or 10k

its cheaper to do the swap and i m a hands on guy and i like to work on my monte so to me it would be the coolest thing todo and to be able to say,i did it on my own you know

i mean neon is a wiring job i had todo on my monte and i did it alone on a sunday,and no one thinks i did it untill i tell them which makes me happy that i did it lol

Old 01-07-2011, 07:20 PM

i mean neon is a wiring job
Doing an engine harness swap is a bit different than hooking up some light to a power source.

Just sayin.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:26 AM

lol i know

its about 12 wires i think

i know a engine harness is different but thats nothing this forum cant help and a manual

Old 01-08-2011, 06:17 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I know on paper it may sound easier and cheaper to do the swap but you'd be surprised how quickly the cost goes up when you calculate the engine/transmission/PCM/BCM, tools and such...I really think it will cost more in the long run, then selling your car for about 5K, and taking out a loan for 2K-3K to make up the difference to get a decent newer SS.

Definitely kudos to you for wanting to do the engine swap on your own, just one question, do you have a Daily Driver? Another car or other means of transportation to get around if your car is down for an extended period of time? Like a way to get to work or school or just down the street to the store? This would be my biggest concern for you, not having a way to get around, most people who take on big projects like a rebuild/engine swap and such have a dd to get around.

I don't want to talk you out of your dream, just want to make sure you have an objective opinion and really sit down and think about all possibilities....like relying on this message board if you run into trouble, not a bad idea, but what if the message board goes down for an extended period of time?

Also take a look at all the wiring diagrams and pcm/bcm issues that could occur...electrical issues are a nightmare to figure out if you come across one...and what if you do everything and the car still doesn't start? or run correctly....most regular shops won't touch a car with an engine swap that's not running, and those specialty speed shops that do will charge an arm and a leg, not to mention the cost of a tow to get it there....

I don't want to sound so negative like it can't be done, just want to make sure you go in with your eyes fully open before waisting money on such a big project and not knowing what you getting yourself into from the get go.

Joe

Old 01-08-2011, 11:07 AM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Montess2k
I know on paper it may sound easier and cheaper to do the swap but you'd be surprised how quickly the cost goes up when you calculate the engine/transmission/PCM/BCM, tools and such...I really think it will cost more in the long run, then selling your car for about 5K, and taking out a loan for 2K-3K to make up the difference to get a decent newer SS.

Definitely kudos to you for wanting to do the engine swap on your own, just one question, do you have a Daily Driver? Another car or other means of transportation to get around if your car is down for an extended period of time? Like a way to get to work or school or just down the street to the store? This would be my biggest concern for you, not having a way to get around, most people who take on big projects like a rebuild/engine swap and such have a dd to get around.

I don't want to talk you out of your dream, just want to make sure you have an objective opinion and really sit down and think about all possibilities....like relying on this message board if you run into trouble, not a bad idea, but what if the message board goes down for an extended period of time?

Also take a look at all the wiring diagrams and pcm/bcm issues that could occur...electrical issues are a nightmare to figure out if you come across one...and what if you do everything and the car still doesn't start? or run correctly....most regular shops won't touch a car with an engine swap that's not running, and those specialty speed shops that do will charge an arm and a leg, not to mention the cost of a tow to get it there....

I don't want to sound so negative like it can't be done, just want to make sure you go in with your eyes fully open before waisting money on such a big project and not knowing what you getting yourself into from the get go.

Joe
X2

No one is trying to talk you out of it at all but its just some important things to think about.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 PM

i got you

i have my moms and step dads car,plus a bus and i could ride a bike to work,it like 6 mins away,i have the tools,and the guy next door has a engine hoist

theres one wiring problem that my monte already had that burned out my power lock switch and blows fuses left and right,turns out it was arcing

Old 01-08-2011, 09:49 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2011

Ok then best of Luck on the swap, keep us updated on progress!

Joe

Old 09-14-2011, 12:33 PM

update

so i sold my car and got a 95 integra, this thing is great on gas which i wanted, $45 on 93 and it fills the tank up, and i can drive a long ways with that tank, the monte took to much gas and it all dropped my car insurance down alot so thats nice

but i have not been on for a while because money got really tight and we had to take the internet down and i was kicked out of the house, so i will stick around to do the nascar stuff next year, but yea no more monte, i do get to see it every once and a while and i do miss it