General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinion Needed: Please Help Me Put A Value On This Modified Nascar Monte

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 05:45 PM
Question Please Help Me Put A Value On This Modified Nascar Monte

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the help in advance. I posted this in the new member forum, but didn't receive much of a response. I told my friend I would possibly help him sell his modified Monte Carlo, but need a bit of help with putting a price on it. It's a 2003 3.4L, with 120,000 miles. It has Nascar branded wheels, a spoiler, added skirt, a window web, side exhaust, hood pins, and the graphics. I just need a rough estimate as to what it is worth. There are more photos in my album on here. It was made to be a parade / dealer showroom vehicle. It was purchased directly from a closing GM dealership. It's a unique piece, but I figured this forum is the best place for some insight. I just need a rough selling price. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2015
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

In Canada an 03 monte carlo goes for between $2200 to $4000 depending on condition and mileage. The SS models can go for higher, well they ask more that doesn't mean that is actually what they get.

A car like that is geared towards a certain type of buyer as not everyone would want a car dressed up like that for every day use, which really limits the amount of people that would actually buy it. There are a lot of people that may "want" it because it's done up as a nice tribute to Mr. Earnhardt, but that doesn't mean they would want it to drive around. Being an LS and not an SS doesn't do it any favors either as it has the smaller motor, not knocking it as I own an 04 with that motor as well as my 02 but you can see where I am coming from.

Your best way to value would be to check your local craigslist and see what they go for. Get an appraisal so that you have that in your pocket when and if people come to see the car and negotiate with you.

I would realistically ask around $4000 and be willing to negotiate, but that is me.

Best of luck in selling

Old 11-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Monte Of The Month -- June 2013
Monte Of The Month -- December 2015
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Would be a tough sell as you're going to have to find a rather specific buyer, i'd say definitely no more than $5000 if that really. Throw it on ebay or something, maybe it'll take off.

Old 11-11-2014, 11:21 PM
Monte Of The Month -- May 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2017
5 Year Member

This is probably a subject I should chime in on.
First let me qualify myself I look just like the late Dale SR. nearly identical, from age 3 to now and I have photo’s to prove it. I met him back in the late 80’s and had no idea who he was, it was not at a racing event he and I spent 3 days at this place and he chose to give me as much Sh*t as he could, funny stuff, I gave as much back as I could and he enjoyed that. So I am attaching a few photo’s the on closest to your car, is an 03 tribute with an airbrushed Dale on the Door 7 years ago it didn’t bring $6K and only had 60K miles on it. The Black #3 I looked at last year it was a nice SS with on 48K on it and they wanted $6800. and finally sold for $6400. The Red #8 finally sold for $2500. It was a 97 Monte. The Lumia was a very nicely done 3 but had over 200K on it the fellow who built it died and his wife wanted $6K for it she called me last year and dropped it to $3K she still has it. They all wanted me to buy there stuff but I really didn’t feel comfortable owning them if I had I would have built my own.
The ride you have looks good and who ever did it did a nice job, it would do better as an SS. Tough to sell as these cars make a Big Statement. But there are a bunch of them out there. I would suggest removing the Decals and selling the car all Black with the Racing style ground effects. This car has a lot of miles but who ever made it drove it for fun. You could get $3 to 5K for it. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails Please Help Me Put A Value On This Modified Nascar Monte-11-7-scans24.jpg   Please Help Me Put A Value On This Modified Nascar Monte-dscf6819.jpg   Please Help Me Put A Value On This Modified Nascar Monte-deanasdale-1-.jpg   Please Help Me Put A Value On This Modified Nascar Monte-d-d-9a-.jpg  
Old 11-12-2014, 06:05 AM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I've already chimed in that it is a tough sale. A potential buyer is probably not looking for a daily driver. Your buyer will need to worship Dale Sr. because everywhere they go with the car, people will want to talk with them about Dale Sr. when they get out. Trust me, I know. But there are a lot of fans out there. Ask $5000 and be prepared to wait a long time to sell. The value of the car is probably not going to drop anymore anytime soon.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:32 AM
Question Thanks Member's for your post/HELP<

Thanks Members for helping our new member with a sale price suggestion for his friends unique/rare Dale Sr modified,
2003 Monte Carlo with the base 3.4L engine.

Many claim that there is a buyer for any vehicle & that a vehicle is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay ? This unique Monte should be marketed to a NASCAR Fan of Dale Sr.

If it were mine, I would take it to any of the closest NASCAR race Tracks during the event & see `if the management would give you a popular spot to show it. I would also gear my advertisement that it will be shown there ?

I'd also take it to Car Shows, especially ones that are Chevy or Race inspired.

I agree with `Keane's post that E-Bay Motor's does get a lot of attention & you could post it there & have bid's from the interested viewer's (+ have a reserve price) that your friend would accept or consider.

It's a car that would get attention, but I agree with the above statements by member's that the smaller engine may handicap the asking price + the higher miles. It's also difficult to judge this Monte by just pictures & not being able to look close or be able to test drive it...

Suggestion, (get a certified inspection) & contain it in your marketing efforts.

Good Luck & keep us updated when & if it sells & for what price ? I would guess-ta-mate Between $3K - $5K (?)

Last edited by Space; 11-12-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:46 AM
5 Year Member
Default You are correct about that.

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
I've already chimed in that it is a tough sale. A potential buyer is probably not looking for a daily driver. Your buyer will need to worship Dale Sr. because everywhere they go with the car, people will want to talk with them about Dale Sr. when they get out. Trust me, I know. But there are a lot of fans out there. Ask $5000 and be prepared to wait a long time to sell. The value of the car is probably not going to drop anymore anytime soon.
Back in the 90's when Dale Sr. was still driving, I couldn't go thru a day without somebody saying something about him or his driving style to me. Even had some people dislike me cause of the resemblance they didn't like his driving style. Fun stuff but even if they were upset I always treated them with respect and tried to remind folks this is not me. I have always had friends that made up the cars and then asked me to drive them, my son who looks like Dale Jr. would just laugh at all the attention he got, the Girls would just flock to him, even if they didn't see the Dale jr. thing.
My one friend told me he had somebody offer him a crazy amount of money for the 3 Car he had. He didn't sell it and then when he wanted to sell it years later he got about $1200.00 for it and was sad .
I told him any time you get a crazy offer you take right then and there and you get CASH and go buy another toy.
I like your #8 Car looks well done.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:53 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Space
Thanks Members for helping our new member with a sale price suggestion for his friends unique/rare Dale Sr modified,
2003 Monte Carlo with the base 3.4L engine.

Many claim that there is a buyer for any vehicle & that a vehicle is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay ? This unique Monte should be marketed to a NASCAR Fan of Dale Sr.

If it were mine, I would take it to any of the closest NASCAR race Tracks during the event & see `if the management would give you a popular spot to show it. I would also gear my advertisement that it will be shown there ?

I'd also take it to Car Shows, especially ones that are Chevy or Race inspired.

I agree with `Keane's post that E-Bay Motor's does get a lot of attention & you could post it there & have bid's from the interested viewer's (+ have a reserve price) that your friend would accept or consider.

It's a car that would get attention, but I agree with the above statements by member's that the smaller engine may handicap the asking price + the higher miles. It's also difficult to judge this Monte by just pictures & not being able to look close or be able to test drive it...

Suggestion, (get a certified inspection) & contain it in your marketing efforts.

Good Luck & keep us updated when & if it sells & for what price ? I would guess-ta-mate Between $3K - $5K (?)
Good advice; local tracks too, may be a good place to show it. see `if the management would give you a popular spot to show it.
The people at the Tracks are interested in there revenue. So this is something you would have to pay for or get there early in the Morning say 3:30 AM or so.