General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by The_Maniac
I pretty much drive a car until it's ready for the junkyard (so I have no reason to consider resale value any ways).
x2

Cars come to me to die. I've never sold a car for more then a few hundred, usually to the scrap yard. This Monte is a lifer and as far as I'm concerned it has no resale value.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:39 PM

Mods are a niche market. In general, I think most people don't want to be buy someone else's modded car. Too much concern over things like:
- How reputable was the work
- How does the mod change the reliablity of the car
- How much trouble might the mod cause with having a mechanic service the car (such as might it change the results of the tests in the shop book)
- Raises concern if the potential buyer is purchasing someone else's failed project
- Plus for mods you can't simply see (such as rockers or a cam), proving to the potential buyer the car really does have these things in it.

You may also find a buyer who likes the car as it is with your mods, is impressed by how it performs with the mods. But in most cases, those people don't want to pay extra for the car (regardless of the cost of the mods). They will look at it based on it's blue book.

Me personally, despite that I am modding my car, I would have too many reservations buying someone else's modded car. Just adds too many variables.

Someone I work with said he used to work at a car lot and no matter how cool a car was, if it was modded in anyway, it was tough to sell (either people did not want to pay a reasonable price for it or people were too concerned about items I noted above).

I truly think, if possible, it's best to demod the car and sell the mods off seperatly. You can find people into the mod while hopefully getting a fair price on the car.

Sorry for the long message, but you wanted opinions...
THIS!

I completely agree with you on that. Part of the idea behind modding the car is for MY fun (and worrying about what it does to the value is not fun).

I pretty much drive a car until it's ready for the junkyard (so I have no reason to consider resale value any ways).

I think Nocturnx is asking since he's putting his ride up for sale.

The Maniac was dead on with his post.

in other words, demod :P

Old 10-08-2010, 11:52 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
x2

Cars come to me to die. I've never sold a car for more then a few hundred, usually to the scrap yard. This Monte is a lifer and as far as I'm concerned it has no resale value.
I buy cars as lifers as well.

That's the reason I've owned the same car for 38 years now. (plus it's my very FIRST car)

Generally when they leave, there isn't much left of them. I tend to pull off every and any thing I think I can re-use.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the opinions. I think my car is past the point of no return as far as demodding goes. Just don't have the time and it would cost me more money. I love the idea of taking it to some car shows, a lot more enthusiasts there that would likely have a better appreciation for the mods.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Mods are a niche market. In general, I think most people don't want to be buy someone else's modded car. Too much concern over things like:
- How reputable was the work
- How does the mod change the reliablity of the car
- How much trouble might the mod cause with having a mechanic service the car (such as might it change the results of the tests in the shop book)
- Raises concern if the potential buyer is purchasing someone else's failed project
- Plus for mods you can't simply see (such as rockers or a cam), proving to the potential buyer the car really does have these things in it.

You may also find a buyer who likes the car as it is with your mods, is impressed by how it performs with the mods. But in most cases, those people don't want to pay extra for the car (regardless of the cost of the mods). They will look at it based on it's blue book.

Me personally, despite that I am modding my car, I would have too many reservations buying someone else's modded car. Just adds too many variables.

Someone I work with said he used to work at a car lot and no matter how cool a car was, if it was modded in anyway, it was tough to sell (either people did not want to pay a reasonable price for it or people were too concerned about items I noted above).

I truly think, if possible, it's best to demod the car and sell the mods off seperatly. You can find people into the mod while hopefully getting a fair price on the car.

Sorry for the long message, but you wanted opinions...
You said exactly what I was thinking also. But to add my own comments...

I think it depends on the mods. If they're cosmetic or easily reversible, they tend to not affect the sale too badly. In my case, when I traded my 99 Grand Am, I had custom black & red leatherette seat covers made by CoverKing. The Chevy dealership actually used it in their advertising for the car. And they helped that car to get sold.

But engine and body mods really hurt when trying to sell. Unless you sell it to someone who knows you or the car. Like selling it to another forum member for example.

Most people avoid cars that were modded. Especially if it was not modded professionally. Because buyers simply don't trust other people's work. They're worried about passing emissions tests, inspections, etc. Plus the reasons already mentioned in the quote above.

Originally Posted by Nocturnx
Thanks for the opinions. I think my car is past the point of no return as far as demodding goes. Just don't have the time and it would cost me more money. I love the idea of taking it to some car shows, a lot more enthusiasts there that would likely have a better appreciation for the mods.
There are some things you could de-mod that may help. Like your LED taillights. I'm sure someone here would be willing to buy them off of you. But you're right. Some of your mods are at the point of no return.

In general, I think people have better luck selling if they de-mod as much as possible. You can usually get better money for the individual mods when they're not installed in a car.

Old 10-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Photobucket
Monte Of The Month -- August 2009

Simple answer: lowers it.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:26 PM

I think it's pretty much a proven fact that mods lower the value of the car. Look at old school cars, the one's that have all original everything and have been restored are the one's that fetch the crazy bucks.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:34 AM

I think mods help private party sales but hurt trade in value because dealers have trouble selling them. Theres dozens of bonnevilles in town but It took the dealer 6 or 7 months to sell my old bonneville which was in mint condition and the only mod was dynomax exhaust.
I know i wont have trouble selling my car private party when the time comes because i know several huge jr fans and a few are interested it especially with the mods

Im not selling any time soon but i know i wont have my monte forever, i miss having a 4 door and will probably buy a new caprice ss in the next 4 or 5 years

Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member

Going along with what you just said...

A good example is the Junior edition Montes. Some car lots have difficulty selling them. The Chevy dealership I bought mine from, had two they ordered new in 2004. They sold me one of them in 2007 (I am the first owner of the car). The other one continued to sit on the lot for another 6 months, then they sent it to auction.

The point being, most people were turned off by what they saw as modifications. The stripes, the 8's, etc...

Old 10-16-2010, 12:07 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Going along with what you just said...

A good example is the Junior edition Montes. Some car lots have difficulty selling them. The Chevy dealership I bought mine from, had two they ordered new in 2004. They sold me one of them in 2007 (I am the first owner of the car). The other one continued to sit on the lot for another 6 months, then they sent it to auction.

The point being, most people were turned off by what they saw as modifications. The stripes, the 8's, etc...
Or they may not follow Nascar so they don't want to buy a car representing a driver (like they are a fan of the driver). Just an extra note on that topic.

I personally that the Nascar driver editions of the Monte may appeal to only target audiences....
Where as the Pace Car and SS versions are still generic enough that it would not turn away a buyer (unless they simply don't like the decals).

I would be an example of that. I LOVE the blue and silver Monte look (I fell in love with the blue/silver '03 Pace Car, but was not willing to spend the money people wanted for the Pace Car). In tune with that, the Jeff Gordan Monte Carlo is basically the same exact blue/silver Monte, with Gordan's sig on the trunk, special 24 badging and flame decals on the front. Really cool car, looks great, but I don't follow Nascar, as a result, I don't have a "favorite" driver. I would shy away from the Jeff Gordan Monte soley because I don't want people going "So, you like Jeff Gordan?" (or other similar scenarios). Not saying I wouldn't buy it, but I really wouldn't want the Jeff Gordan badging (which to de-badge it of those ruins what that Monte is, and I personally would have some trouble doing that).

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted