General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Opinions Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Opinions Wanted

Do you think mods raise the value of your car or lower it? If you see a car for sale that has had a bunch of engine and intake mods and other mods done to it, do you think it is worth more because of the mods or do you think it might require more maintenance than a car that was left stock?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:20 AM

Hi Alex,
Many dealer prefer a stock vehicle with no mod's, and some even reduce the trade in price for cars with mod's.

I think anytime a owner mod's their car that they are limiting potential buyers when they go to sell. I believe that buyers think that mod's indicate that the subject vehicle was hot Rod'ed or abused. (I don't think that, but I've been told and read it before). I think your reduce your buying audience if you do modifications to your Monte or vehicle...

It will be interesting to see what other's think...(Good Thread Subject 4-Sure: )

Old 10-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Below is what Professor `Googles has on the subject....

Add-ons can help or hurt cars value

2009 Spring Car Guide. PrintE-mail. green mountains and blue sky with a silver gear shift in the foreground. auto. Add-ons can help or hurt car's value ...
www.bankrate.com/.../add-ons-can-help-or-hurt-car-s-value-1.aspx - Cached - Similar

Cool Car Modifications & Crazy Auto Mods Mean A Lower Resale Value ...

Oct 13, 2009 ... Those Cool Car Modifications Might Ruin the Resale Value of Your Vehicle ... car modifications will most likely hurt your chances of getting ...
www.bigbucksauto.com/.../cool-car-modifications-vehicle-resale-value/ - Cached - Similar

Do Mods increase the resale value of your car? or hurt it ...

6 posts - 6 authors - Last post: Nov 27, 2003
Do Mods increase the resale value of your car? or hurt it? ... In a lot of cases, aftermarket modifications can hurt the value of the car ...
www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=453022 - Cached
Get more discussion results

Do mods generally help or hurt a car's resale value - AcuraZine ...

Do mods generally help or hurt a car's resale value Car Talk. ... American Honda Motor Company does not sponsor, support, or endorse Acurazine.com in any ...
acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1957334 - Cached

Old 10-07-2010, 09:44 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think like body mods such as paint help and maybe a intake would not hurt (low maintenance)and adding blue tooth and NAV don't hurt ( to the stock system ) and nice exhaust tips don't hurt and last of all keep your engine compartment clean!!(dealers like anyone else think if the motor is clean you take great care of your car) = )

but big stereos ,engine mods, custom interiors, PCM,other exhaust mods are just all about you and I do not think it helps you at all for resale what makes your car yours makes it harder for them to sale the more bland the car the easier it is for them to sell to the general public

Now I am a firm believer in making your car yours and having a car with some personality to it just try to do mods that make the car better than stock (looks,performance ,ect.,ect.) just try not to over do it and when the time comes you will sell it no problem .Last but not least in my opinion try to get your car in some car shows before you sell it the more people that see it the easier it is to sell

Old 10-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Originally Posted by Blazed SS
I think like body mods such as paint help and maybe a intake would not hurt (low maintenance)and adding blue tooth and NAV don't hurt ( to the stock system ) and nice exhaust tips don't hurt and last of all keep your engine compartment clean!!(dealers like anyone else think if the motor is clean you take great care of your car) = )

but big stereos ,engine mods, custom interiors, PCM,other exhaust mods are just all about you and I do not think it helps you at all for resale what makes your car yours makes it harder for them to sale the more bland the car the easier it is for them to sell to the general public

Now I am a firm believer in making your car yours and having a car with some personality to it just try to do mods that make the car better than stock (looks,performance ,ect.,ect.) just try not to over do it and when the time comes you will sell it no problem .Last but not least in my opinion try to get your car in some car shows before you sell it the more people that see it the easier it is to sell
X2....

Old 10-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Mods help for selling to people who understand the value of them. If you plan to sell a vehicle on Craigslist or put a for sale sign on it locally, don't bother. Most people just look at the KBB and then trys to tell ya it ain't worth that much.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 AM
rj
15 Year Member

Rule #1. It depends on WHO is buying the car as to whether or mods hurt the value of a car.

I've seen cars the seller did their own engine work. They wanted to get rid of the car cause the engine was ready to grenade. (blow up)

Old 10-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Mods are a niche market. In general, I think most people don't want to be buy someone else's modded car. Too much concern over things like:
- How reputable was the work
- How does the mod change the reliablity of the car
- How much trouble might the mod cause with having a mechanic service the car (such as might it change the results of the tests in the shop book)
- Raises concern if the potential buyer is purchasing someone else's failed project
- Plus for mods you can't simply see (such as rockers or a cam), proving to the potential buyer the car really does have these things in it.

You may also find a buyer who likes the car as it is with your mods, is impressed by how it performs with the mods. But in most cases, those people don't want to pay extra for the car (regardless of the cost of the mods). They will look at it based on it's blue book.

Me personally, despite that I am modding my car, I would have too many reservations buying someone else's modded car. Just adds too many variables.

Someone I work with said he used to work at a car lot and no matter how cool a car was, if it was modded in anyway, it was tough to sell (either people did not want to pay a reasonable price for it or people were too concerned about items I noted above).

I truly think, if possible, it's best to demod the car and sell the mods off seperatly. You can find people into the mod while hopefully getting a fair price on the car.

Sorry for the long message, but you wanted opinions...

Old 10-07-2010, 02:10 PM

Can't spell PIMP without an MP
Monte Of The Month -- November 2010
2010 Monte Of The Year

When I make modifications to my car, the LAST thing that I am thinking about is how it will affect the resale value. I put the time and effort into my car so that I will appreciate it. Not to appreciate the value of the car.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by MillerMonteSS
When I make modifications to my car, the LAST thing that I am thinking about is how it will affect the resale value. I put the time and effort into my car so that I will appreciate it. Not to appreciate the value of the car.
I completely agree with you on that. Part of the idea behind modding the car is for MY fun (and worrying about what it does to the value is not fun).

I pretty much drive a car until it's ready for the junkyard (so I have no reason to consider resale value any ways).

I think Nocturnx is asking since he's putting his ride up for sale.

Quick Reply: Opinions Wanted