General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): Oil Overfill Problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Wasd65
I didn't take too much note of the oil the second time that I checked because I used the oil cleaner, but the first time I noticed a few greyish fragments that drained out during the partial oil change. I'm not sure if it was metal but it seemed like just some kind of deposits possibly. The oil seemed pretty dark brown (it had a few hundred miles on it) but I'm not sure if it was uncharacteristicly dark. It didn't have a noticeable smell, but even after the oil change it did it smelled like burned oil inside the car during some of the acceleration stutters at high RPMs.
Well, kinda' hard to access the metal fragments, or lack there of, but oil should not be unusually dark after a few hundred miles, and a left over burning smell is not good.
Like Zippy said, you could try some additives in addition to the one you already tried, but sadly the damage may already be done, and if additives don't do it, it might be light brown toast on it's way to being burned. Anything is repairable, but sometimes it's just more cost effective to replace.