General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

OH.. That Smell

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:51 AM
rj
15 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I could probably get by with just dumping the Dex-cool with no adverse problems?

Been a long time since I dumped any anti-freeze on the property. If it got to our drinking water the ground would have filtered it.

Other then taking the used coolant to a dump off station someplace in Dayton, I don't know of any place around here that would accept it? Unless a radiator shop would?

Isn't Dex-cool suppose to be more environmentally friendly anyways?

Old 03-17-2009, 02:29 PM

I wouldn't dump it, especially if I had a well anywhere near there.
Wouldn't want anything from the antifreeze having any chance of leaking into my drinking water. Not to mention that pets are very attracted to the smell/taste and will try to drink it off of the ground.

I think that most auto parts stores, esp the chain ones will accept antifreeze for recycling.
I know that the auto department at the school I go to takes antifreeze and oil, so you could probably drop it off at the local tech school too.

I think that the only thing about Dexcool that is "environmentally friendly" is that it is supposed to last a lot longer than conventional coolant, so you don't have to change it as often which ultimately creates less toxic waste.

Definitely make sure you flush all of the Dexcool out though.
Prestone makes a cheap kit that you hook one end up to your radiator hose and the other to a garden hose and it flushes and backflushes everything with water. Costs less than $10 I think for the kit.
The flush chemicals would probably be a good idea too. They'll help strip any deposits of rust or calicium that are inside the radiator that will reduce the radiator efficiency.

Oh, and when you refill the radiator: be sure to use distilled or deionized water to dilute the antifreeze (unless you buy the 50/50 prediluted mix). Tap water contains chlorine that can react with some of the corrosion inhibitors in antifreeze, and also contains dissolved minerals that can scale up on the inside of the radiator which can reduce it's efficiency or possibly clog the radiator.

-Riggs.