General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

OBD1 plug

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 PM
Default OBD1 plug

ok, so I purchased a 1995 Monte LS, 3.1 V6, a couple days ago. I bought the car off an older guy and he did the typical electrical tape over the check engine light. So I noticed the motor had a slight miss, but it had been parked for 2 years, added some fuel treatment and kinda hard accelerated from a stop. I plan on doing plugs, wires, iac valve, map and Maf sensors here soon, and probably the egr valve.

I wanted to see what codes flashed up, so I got the ol’paper clip out. Didn’t clip into place like it should do I got to looking. There are only 2 places to plug in the paper clip in, and A is an option, but there is nothing in B. The far right side of the plug has the metal tabs, top and bottom, but no where else, they are all empty. I do know the motor was switched out with one that has half the miles the body has on it(166k on body, 81k on motor with paperwork). Why would there be missing prongs? Just curious if anyone has ran into this, or if there is another way to get it to flash codes.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:46 PM

The plug

Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I am not sure when GM quit doing the paper clip trick. There was an era of ODB-1.5 in some GM cars. If the Diagnostic port looks like ODB-II, I doubt the paper clip trick would work.
I don't have access to the shop data for a '95 Monte, but I would confirm if the paper clip method will work and flash out the code. If it does not, you could cause a serious shorting issue and damage by jumping pins with a paper clip.

It might be easier to find a scan tool that would work.

Old 01-03-2018, 06:36 AM
Default OBD1 port

I knew about the mid year change in 1995 as it concerns the obd ports. I had a late year 1995 blazer that had the obd2 port. I have just never seen an OBD1 port that didn’t have the connectors in them. Buying a OBD1 scanner would be worthless if all the connectors necessary aren’t there.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:01 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

The OBD port on my '95 is just like that (car was built in June 1994), a rectangle with 12 holes and only the far-right two are occupied. Good luck in trying to get any codes; my shop has all kinds of scan tools and connectors, and they still couldn't get the PCM to talk. Could a Chevy dealership service department? Maybe...