General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

4th Gen ('81-'88): Novice shopping for a MCSS...what should I look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM
Default Novice shopping for a MCSS...what should I look out for?

Hi guys,

Armed with around 5,000 to start, I'm searching in the Metro Detroit area for a G-Body 83-88 Monte Carlo SS. As one would expect, at any given time there are atleast 20 of these on craigslist.

What I'm looking for is basically a car that can keep up with my friends 2006-ish Ford Mustang GT and my uncle's 91 GMC Typhoon. Neither has mods, so we're talking 5-5.5 0-60 times. Power wise, that's all I desire. I'd like to get t-tops, but if I come across a solid car, I'm willing to cut a sunroof in it and call it a day.

The rest of the things I'm going to do are interior wise and audio/video, which I know about and that's an entirely different budget. Where I need help is....well, everywhere else. I don't know *&%#... I won't be doing any engine/drivetrain/suspension/brake work myself so also keep that in mind.

1. What should I be looking for as far as engines? Is it better to try to find a stock 305 and build it up/swap or find one that already has a "running" engine with more HP?

2. If looking into a T-Top, what's a solid way to test for roof leaks? I was thinking just taking it to a car wash and going from there...

3. To be a 5-5.5 second car, how much more would needed to be upgraded, if anything? Trans, rear ends, etc..?

4. Rust areas to check? Are there "fake" MCSS's? Is there any real difference between a MCLS with performance parts?

My #1 priority with this car is getting the performance I want. I'm not trying to drag race, or really race at all, I just need a pep to get out sticky situations should they arise. Any help is greatly appreciated.