Detailing Discuss detailing your Monte Carlo inside and out here.

Car Cleaning 101 for the Novice ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Thumbs up Car Cleaning 101 for the Novice ?

Below link is from AOL Auto's
It's a basic vid on how to wash your `ride.
*Nice `Viper in Vid : )
(I think the guy in the video could be related to Mod `Mike : )
Post your thoughts/comments

Not in Vid

Last edited by Space; 06-05-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:51 AM

nice vid... very informal. Makes me wanna go out in this 90+ weather and wash Ol Red.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Psssssst! I was gonna wash mine today>>HA! Looked outside after being on the puter for a couple hours, yeah, its raining... Dam!!!
The poor thing is sooooo dirty, the wheels are actually white from all the mud and crap on em.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Default I washed mine.........

....as a matter of fact..I did wash mine today. But not to that extent. Just a quick scrub down.
Does anyone else use a chamois ? I sometimes use mine.
I think, I like the towel method better. However, some towels can actually scratch the paint surface....

Old 06-05-2010, 07:48 PM

Well, I did get around to washing it cause the rain quit !!! Sprayed the whole underside, waxed the whole 9 yards (car, windows, rims, light lensed, everyything but the tires and underside) then shined up the tires, took off the lugs and gave em a wax, cleaned the whole inside, cleaned the wipers, cleaned up the engine bay, oh and waxed the mufflers, pipes, and tips, even cleaned behind the license plates. And after all that, its starting to rain right now and its supposed to get stormy tonight. Oh well, I got a good drive with it nice and clean and thats good enough for me. Guess Ill just have to do it all again tomarrow huh? Oh yeah, shined up the wheel wells too... And the shocks... And I wiped out the inside of the muffler tips. LOL Sorry, Ill stop now.
EDIT: I never use a chamois, I always make it a point to take it to the car wash so I can use the "spot free rinse"... One of the best ideas ever created. Okay, NOW Im done. Sorry, I just LOVE cleaning my car and letting everyone I did so.

Last edited by wht02monte; 06-05-2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
shined up the wheel wells too... And the shocks... And I wiped out the inside of the muffler tips. LOL Sorry, Ill stop
I usually spray the wheel wells with tire shine too, thoughts are it'll help keep grime (tar, etc) from sticking to them. The first big wash of the summer I usually take off the plates and wash and wax behind them too... as well as actually waxing the plates . When I did my first official detail on the Monte my clay bar was just about used up so I clayed the exhaust tips , kind of sad, eh?

I don't use a real chamois, I have an Absorberthat I use to dry the car but use a lamb skin mitt for cleaning the painted surfaces and a terry cloth towel for cleaning the wheels and the other "dirty" parts.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:48 PM

Nothing ever sad about cleaning a car no matter what or how you do it. And the spray shine actually makes dirt stick more and faster, thats why I use the foaming sstuffi in a can, it dosnt have so much oil in it.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:52 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The tire gel works well too and doesn't fly off when you drive. It's been raining/chance of rain on and off for the last couple of days so I couldn't wash the 05 or keep it clean under the car cover - don't want to deal with a wet car cover. Oh and sometimes I use an absorber to dry the car (when I don't apply spray on wax).

Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Tire gel huh? Ill have to look into that cause Ive never even heard of that. Does it stay on the tires long?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Nothing ever sad about cleaning a car no matter what or how you do it. And the spray shine actually makes dirt stick more and faster, thats why I use the foaming sstuffi in a can, it dosnt have so much oil in it.
I use No Touch tire shine for the wheel wells. I use either No Touch or the spray STP version for my truck with the RWL tires and Meguires Endurance for the black wall tires. Trying to wipe the Meguires on RWL makes them dirty looking, sort of fell into using the spray on the fender liners on the truck and just continued to doing it on the cars.

Wish I had a decent garage, when I was staying at my parents I could take all weekend detailing a car since I could leave it in the shade of the shed and not worry about birds or rain. I'm sure I could spend all weekend or even longer on each car if I could leave it sit in a garage again...

Quick Reply: Car Cleaning 101 for the Novice ?