General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

No Monte Mods, just trying to get working A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 09:05 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default No Monte Mods, just trying to get working A/C

Well, pretty much the first year I bought the Monte (end of summer 2008) is the only time it had working A/C (and I suspect the A/C was "charged" to make it work prior to selling). Regardless, I've been on a quest to get it to work.
First year, it was "charge the system, see what happens". 2011 I got the help of a friend/GM Mechanic to look it over. None of the usual stuff he normally finds was showing. So, he said if none of the stuff was leaking where he checked, that left the evap coils under the dash. Before prepping the car for summer 2012, I ripped the dash apart, he re-charged the system and it died again. He re-inspected and found the condenser coils were leaking.

So, here I am, summer of 2013, and I am ripping into it. I started around 6-7pm and by the time I called it a night, the coils are OUT of the car!!

Hopefully tomorrow I will be on the re-assembly, but I need to buy the replacement clips for the trans line fittings (the shop book makes it VERY clear NOT to re-use the old ones).

Here's a pic of her without the condenser, radiator or radiator fans....

Attached Thumbnails No Monte Mods, just trying to get working A/C-img_7190.jpg  
Old 05-19-2013, 10:38 PM
Monte Of The Month -- February 2012

Good luck man, I busted a line on my AC years ago and have been dreading the day I start to fix it because I know I will have to replace all of it.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:56 PM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Thats a start Jason!

I hope the rest of it goes a lot easier when you finally get it reassembled!

Thanks for Shareing your dilema with us!
I have faith youll get it to work again.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:02 PM

10 Year Member

Well, tonight was humorous. My wife fired up the central air in the house and no go!!! Luckily it was one of the two fuses out at the service panel for the coils outside blew out. I replaced both fuses and took the "good" one in the garage as an emergency spare. I know they are about 10 years old (as I've been in the house about 10 years and this is my first time changing them).

As for re-assembly, slow start due to the obvious home A/C issue. Then studying the job and looking at the best order, but honestly EASY! Right now the coils and radiator are in place, I handed off a couple brackets to a friend to sand blast and tomorrow I will POR15 them. Got the fans in place. Right now, trying to get the supposed quick connects for the trans lines to cooperate (they are not being so "quick"). But once those click in place, maybe an hour to finish the rest?? Tomorrow I won't get anything done on the Monte due to our regular dinner plans on Tuesdays

Old 05-21-2013, 09:45 AM

Monte Of The Month -- February 2013
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Im sure that had to be a shocker with the home AC! My Central air has been instahled since 2004 ... But in 2011 I had the whole system overhauled
to keep it in tip top condition...But, I have no idea if he replaced the outside fuses in the box for the condenser!

I guess if Mine gives me an issue thatll be the first thing I will check. Thanks for the heads up Jason!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:28 AM

10 Year Member

Yeah someone mentioned to me how those fuses are expensive. Yeah, for 2 fuses $20 seems a bit much, BUT, it fixed my issue quick, easy and for that, $20 was NOT expensize compare to other possible options.

Tonight I hope to have the 2 brackets back from being sand blasted, I can coat them with POR15 today, tomorrow, weather permitting, i hope to finish this job (I get the trans lines to re-seat and I'm home free)

Then I just need to contact a friend about an A/C re-charge.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:35 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

And then you can enjoy a comfortable drive to PA this year

Old 05-21-2013, 11:51 AM

10 Year Member

See, I enjoyed a comfortable ride to Carlisle PA last year.... If anyone was uncomfortable, it was Jeff..... And as long as he gets the rest of what needs done with his Turbo T/A, well, he's riding solo in his own car to Carlisle lol.

He threatens to not drive the Turbo T/A if the A/C is not working (I've given him some choice words about that like "don't be a <insert adjective>" lol). On a serious note, he needs to get the weld-in UMI subframe connectors in and a tune on that car. Thanks to a large car show a couple months ago, he spoke to the owner of a beastly Grand National that gave him the name of a tuner that does wonders for that platform. He spoke to the guy last week. Little bits of progress.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 PM

10 Year Member

Dang rain!! I am SO close to being DONE with and having the Monte back together. I just have to get the dog bone supports in, top off fluids and bleed the coolant system!! UGH!! SO CLOSE!!

BTW - Damn GM and these "newer" quick connect transmission fittings! To get the trans line back in, took a piece of wood and a small tap (crazy small) with a hammer and it seated. But god forbid I get the plastic cover rings back on (the one broke, so I hope it's nothing more then a weather protector).

Old 05-23-2013, 09:15 PM

10 Year Member

Despite the misting rain outside, I got her back together tonight!! And I took her out for a spin. Next step, get the A/C re-charged and hopefully THIS time, it stays!!

Considering once I had the coils out of the car and one corner of them was covered in oily gunk, I'm certain this is the issue

Quick Reply: No Monte Mods, just trying to get working A/C