General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

New headlights make a big difference! (Before vs After)

Old 05-17-2018, 05:02 PM
1 Year Member
Cool New headlights make a big difference! (Before vs After)

Old headlights were getting hazed over, so I thought I'd try and sand them clear again. After a couple hours, I realized that the pitting was deep enough that there wasn't much I could do. Might as well buy a new custom pair off Ebay for cheaper than a replacement factory pair. Mine came with all the bulbs, unlike many that are being sold without them. Easiest repair ever (besides the windshield wipers). Pull 2 clips off, remove the plug, and stick the new one in. I think I picked the right ones to match the car! Clear lens, black interior.

Link: Headlights $123. (wasn't paid to recommend )

Comparison:
Name:  a5SgPbg.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  577.9 KB

Before:
Name:  Syz2jCv.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  598.6 KB

After:
Name:  BGVHvmj.jpg
Size:  682.5 KB

Name:  8xeNvEX.jpg
Size:  351.2 KB

Now I just need to replace the hood ornament!

Attached Thumbnails New headlights make a big difference! (Before vs After)-20180516_114758%5B1%5D.jpg   New headlights make a big difference! (Before vs After)-20180515_133556.jpg   New headlights make a big difference! (Before vs After)-20180515_131529.jpg   New headlights make a big difference! (Before vs After)-20180515_134945.jpg  

Last edited by CaptainDawson; 05-17-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:37 PM

I did something similar back when I had my GP GXP. New headlights were outrageous, but I found some on Amazon for about what you paid. Only downside I noticed was that they werent made as well and the lenses hazed over much quicker than stock (maybe 1- 1.5 yrs.)

Hopefully yours won't have the same issue.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- January 2017
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

It sure is a nice & easy cosmetic upgrade.

Captain Dawson, I also notice your Monte has black & red front seats; I like that too. Definitely suitable for a red car.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:54 PM

Looks great! I have a 05 Impala that I gets a lot of likes because he too has that back surround. Nice front seats as well.

Old 05-29-2018, 01:31 PM

Great looking upgrade. Are you also getting more light, or is the change strictly cosmetic?

Old 05-29-2018, 02:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by EHouston
Great looking upgrade. Are you also getting more light, or is the change strictly cosmetic?
More light compared to a hazed over lens, yes.

More light compared to a proper housing without the black, no.

I used to run these blacked out headlights because they looked awesome on my car (see my signature), but when I would drive on back country roads late at night, it was like 2 little flashlights on the front of my car. They blacked out a lot of the reflective properties for the look, so if you drive without a lot of ambient light, it is quite restrictive.

With that said, I do drive the car a lot less, and am thinking about getting another set of blacked out lights for the look.

Old 05-30-2018, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
More light compared to a hazed over lens, yes.

More light compared to a proper housing without the black, no.

I used to run these blacked out headlights because they looked awesome on my car (see my signature), but when I would drive on back country roads late at night, it was like 2 little flashlights on the front of my car. They blacked out a lot of the reflective properties for the look, so if you drive without a lot of ambient light, it is quite restrictive.

With that said, I do drive the car a lot less, and am thinking about getting another set of blacked out lights for the look.
You must have gotten something that was really super blacked out. The actual reflective parts are the concave parts behind the lens and that all looks to be fine, the rest is just decorative.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by DESU
You must have gotten something that was really super blacked out. The actual reflective parts are the concave parts behind the lens and that all looks to be fine, the rest is just decorative.
It seems that the more expensive blacked headlights, are the ones that do not put off much light..

The ones off ebay dont have this problem.. Strange i know....

Search this Thread