Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums

Monte Carlo Forum - Monte Carlo Enthusiast Forums (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/)
-   General Monte Carlo Talk (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/)
-   -   New headlights make a big difference! (Before vs After) (https://montecarloforum.com/forum/general-monte-carlo-talk-9/new-headlights-make-big-difference-before-vs-after-59724/)

CaptainDawson 05-17-2018 05:02 PM

New headlights make a big difference! (Before vs After)

8 Attachment(s)
Old headlights were getting hazed over, so I thought I'd try and sand them clear again. After a couple hours, I realized that the pitting was deep enough that there wasn't much I could do. Might as well buy a new custom pair off Ebay for cheaper than a replacement factory pair. Mine came with all the bulbs, unlike many that are being sold without them. Easiest repair ever (besides the windshield wipers). Pull 2 clips off, remove the plug, and stick the new one in. I think I picked the right ones to match the car! Clear lens, black interior.

Link: Headlights $123. (wasn't paid to recommend :) )

Comparison:
Attachment 36404

Before:
Attachment 36405

After:
Attachment 36406

Attachment 36407

Now I just need to replace the hood ornament! :(

bumpin96monte 05-17-2018 07:37 PM

I did something similar back when I had my GP GXP. New headlights were outrageous, but I found some on Amazon for about what you paid. Only downside I noticed was that they werent made as well and the lenses hazed over much quicker than stock (maybe 1- 1.5 yrs.)

Hopefully yours won't have the same issue.

Sidestreet 05-19-2018 04:41 PM

It sure is a nice & easy cosmetic upgrade.

Captain Dawson, I also notice your Monte has black & red front seats; I like that too. Definitely suitable for a red car.

WBody 05-19-2018 05:54 PM

Looks great! I have a 05 Impala that I gets a lot of likes because he too has that back surround. Nice front seats as well.

EHouston 05-29-2018 01:31 PM

Great looking upgrade. Are you also getting more light, or is the change strictly cosmetic?

ChibiBlackSheep 05-29-2018 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by EHouston (Post 711748)
Great looking upgrade. Are you also getting more light, or is the change strictly cosmetic?

More light compared to a hazed over lens, yes.

More light compared to a proper housing without the black, no.

I used to run these blacked out headlights because they looked awesome on my car (see my signature), but when I would drive on back country roads late at night, it was like 2 little flashlights on the front of my car. They blacked out a lot of the reflective properties for the look, so if you drive without a lot of ambient light, it is quite restrictive.

With that said, I do drive the car a lot less, and am thinking about getting another set of blacked out lights for the look.

DESU 05-30-2018 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep (Post 711752)
More light compared to a hazed over lens, yes.

More light compared to a proper housing without the black, no.

I used to run these blacked out headlights because they looked awesome on my car (see my signature), but when I would drive on back country roads late at night, it was like 2 little flashlights on the front of my car. They blacked out a lot of the reflective properties for the look, so if you drive without a lot of ambient light, it is quite restrictive.

With that said, I do drive the car a lot less, and am thinking about getting another set of blacked out lights for the look.

You must have gotten something that was really super blacked out. The actual reflective parts are the concave parts behind the lens and that all looks to be fine, the rest is just decorative.

wht02monte 05-31-2018 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by DESU (Post 711789)
You must have gotten something that was really super blacked out. The actual reflective parts are the concave parts behind the lens and that all looks to be fine, the rest is just decorative.

It seems that the more expensive blacked headlights, are the ones that do not put off much light..

The ones off ebay dont have this problem.. Strange i know....