General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Views about MCF<What's Yours?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by jakefluker
Whats up, Space !When you say Monte of the month your referring to the car,so have Monte of month (for those who have took ,time&effort along with $ to showcase their love for Monte Carlo's)and Member of month for those who help others,(advise&contribute)etc.

Hi `Jake,
I guess I am saying that it's a combination of both . You can't have a Monte Carlo without owning it

Our Monte Carlo forum is group of member's that own their Monte Carlo's, or member's that join the MCF that want to `be a Monte Carlo owner.. (also many member's join that are just auto enthusiasts and enjoy the MCF.)

* Any member can nominate another Member's Monte, and also vote for that member (the owner of the Monte)...The top 3 member's with the most nominations by member's are placed into the MOTM contest.

Granted that active member's get noticed more & so does their Monte Carlo. Because they are active contributing member's.

Every Member is permitted, or can be a active member & post about their Monte Carlo with pictures & what they have done.
That's every member's choice.

I believe it's just like any candidate in any contest...The more you or your Monte Carlo are seen, the more the chance of it being known, nominated & voted for in the voting process.
The active member's are the one's that vote, because they are here to vote.

I think it's a fair/honest contest with our present rules, but I appreciate your input & I'm sure not in a position to change the rules, but it's a very interesting topic...

I think (yes, I do think) that the key to winning any contest is to be a active participant of that event, group, forum etc.

You can't enter a any automotive contest unless you are the owner of a vehicle, so yes I do believe as I have posted in my first sentence...You can't have a Monte Carlo, unless you own it.
(a combination of both)...

On the MCF our words are the only thing that paints the picture our thoughts/meaning. Also a member's pictures of their Monte Carlo are the only tool that a member has to judge a member's Monte Carlo.

The present system or MOTM contest has worked for many years, but I believe that the powers that control the rules are open-minded & fair & want what is best for the majority of members.

Every member is free to post their suggestions for improvement to the MOTM, or to our forum. I'm sure that they will be seriously reviewed & considered...

So, be a active Owner with a Clean Monte Carlo, with great pictures & hopefully you will be nominated & voted for in a future MOTM Contest..

Again, I really believe that every owner of a Monte Carlo is a Winner...

* Note: Our Staff & Administrator are all volunteer's & donate their time to the MCF for the love of the Chevy Monte Carlo + the great member's We do our best to keep our forum a friendly, informative, active forum and see that `all member's are treated fairly that follow our simple rules.

"Give Respect to Get Respect & don't purposely hurt with your words or pic's...

OK, I have to go back on recharge I work later
Peace/`Out from `Space

OK, be a Active Member & make a post

Last edited by Space; 01-21-2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 03:07 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2013
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

This thread really became about MOTM.

It is hard to overcome popularity is a public voting. However, I can think of several MOTM winner who were new to the forum and weren't very popular - or at least not yet. I know that I won when I would have had less then 100 posts. I never did really get into racking them up like others. But I'm not the only MOTM winner to not have a million posts. I believe a truely fantastic and exceptional Monte Carlo will not go unnoticed here

Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Milhouse
I think the MOTM is as much a popularity contest as is all start voting for your favorite sport.....not always do the most deserving win, it's the one's that are most popular. But that's just how the cookie crumbles. The only way I could see to change it would be to have people vote who don't know the owners of the cars.
In all honesty, I have noticed this pattern also. I have read posts from people that modded their car and contribute their ideals/opinions to the forum on a regular basis but if they weren't accepted into the 'clique' their post went mostly without reply. On the other hand I have read posts from members that rarely post or contribute to the forum yet (because they are part of the clique) have their vehicles elected for MOTM. I never cared for cliques in high school and still don't care for them now. I wish I had a suggestion as how to make the playfield more equal for all members, but unfortunately I don't have the answer. Knowing that others have observed the same pattern though makes me think there must be more to it than just my imagination. As was said though, that's how the cookie crumbles. I'm sure we'd all like to be MOTM winners but if I never am it's no skin off my nose. With or without MOTM 'status' I know I have a great Monte Carlo and nobody can take that away from me.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2011
Monte Of The Month -- April 2014
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by JuniorCar
This thread really became about MOTM.

It is hard to overcome popularity is a public voting. However, I can think of several MOTM winner who were new to the forum and weren't very popular - or at least not yet. I know that I won when I would have had less then 100 posts. I never did really get into racking them up like others. But I'm not the only MOTM winner to not have a million posts. I believe a truely fantastic and exceptional Monte Carlo will not go unnoticed here
Junior I totally agree with you. I am one of those members that was new and was eletcted MOTM (My Join date really does not reflect the date I became active.)
BTW it was you Junior that told me about MCF on Cardomain.

Voting and nominating is a free choice of all members. I will nominate and vote for who ever I want to. My vote may or may not reflect the amount of work the owner has put into his ride ... BUT that is my choice.

It is a fact of Life. I left many a car show thinking damn i should have placed over that guy's car. But I didn't (maybe he had more friends at the show than me at the show) It is what it is.

Oh yea my view .... Leave the MOTM and MOTY alone.

Last edited by Tadcaster; 01-21-2012 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:40 PM

this forum is awesome and the people on here are just as cool. i like how MOTM works now. there arnt that many cars that are just incredible show cars on here.. most have few mods and cool drivers. personally i dont look at MOTM being who has the most bad *** car. but yes i have voted for pacerSS for the passed few months cause his car is probably the nicest on this forum. but other then that the nominees dont have extreme mods on their car so how do you choose them from the rest?

Old 01-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I joined the site in August of 2007 (as a normal member), and won MOTM in October 2007. Still a relative newbie. And being a staff member had nothing to do with it. I became a member of the staff much later.

Unfortunately, voting is always going to be somewhat of a popularity contest. Ride of the month contests on most forums I've been on, usually are somewhat of a popularity contest.

The MOTM was runned different in the early days of MCF. The administrator at the time (not me obviously) would look through the forum's photo gallery and pick a winner of his chosing. That idea doesn't sit well with most people. Including me. Because the admin gets accused of being biased and picking his friends. Not saying that's what happened. But that's why the forum went to the current method of having the forum members nominate and vote.

I don't think there is a perfect way of doing it.

I can't just post pictures of Monte's and not identify the owners. Most Montes on this site (and other Monte sites) are personalized in some way. And the members will know who the car belongs to anyway. So there's no point in trying to keep the identity of the owner secret.

Besides, MOTM is not only about the car itself. The reputation/helpfulness of the member who owns it has a factor also. Someone who is super nice and knowledgeable and helpful to members will no doubt be nominated. No matter what his/her Monte looked like. But if someone is an a-hole jerk, he/she could have the greatest Monte on earth and still not win. That's not a forum thing. That's life.

I'm sorry if this is not what you wanted to hear. Like Space said, we're always open to ideas. We've made many changes to the forum over the years because of ideas from members.

Old 01-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- October 2011
Monte Of The Month -- July 2014
RED DEVIL

Imo motm is fine. I always try to vote for the car that deserves it. If i nominate someone i try to keep new members in the mix.

There are alot of nice montes on here too but unless u make a thread or something to remind members of your car you may go unnoticed. There are alot to sift through in the garages.

Side note...this is a great forum with very nice ppl that are willing to help out. I am really glad to be part of it.

Last edited by xxtheshockerxx; 01-21-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:12 PM

Monte Of The Month -- October 2012
3 Year Member

Originally Posted by xxtheshockerxx
Imo motm is fine. I always try to vote for the car that deserves it. If i nominate someone i try to keep new members in the mix.

There are alot of nice montes on here too but unless u make a thread or something to remind members of your car you may go unnoticed. There are alot to sift through in the garages.

Side note...this is a great forum with very nice ppl that are willing to help out. I am really glad to be part of it.
I totally agree with you MOTM seems to be set up the best way possible.

But I also believe that everyone here is pretty much deserving to win at some point. We all have Montes that we love and that's really all the matters (to me anyways). Mods aren't usually the first thing I look at when MOTM voting starts up. I usually look at which members have been the most helpful and most active. Of course if you modify and make your car noticeable and one of a kind, that always helps.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:20 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2009
5 Year Member

Honestly if MOTM ceased to exist it wouldnt matter to me. Really tired of hearing people complain about it honestly. As long as the contest is determined by the members of the site, its going to be a "popularity contest" in some peoples eyes. Really anything that is determined by a majority vote is going to be a popularity contest. I mean look at the presidential election process. Isnt that a popularity contest as well?

What it comes down to in the scheme of things is that no one is going to vote for you if you only pop in now and then and post a little bit. Even if your car is a masterpiece with thousands of hours of hard work going into it, you arent going to be as relevent to the members as someone who posts constantly and who's car and username is all over the forum. When it comes time for nominations, the members are going to pick those people who pop into their head. They arent going to comb the forum looking for the car they feel is the best car on the forum.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:16 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- June 2014
Monte Of The Month -- July 2016
10 Year Member

I think MOTM has become a bit overrated.

I'm not putting down the winners or the contest, it's a wonderful fun friendly contest that keeps the forum interesting. All the winners really deserve it, they are real sweet cool rides for sure.

But it's starting to go to peoples heads.

For me, My monte is monte of the month every month inmy eyes. It's the one I can go see anytime. I don't need it in a calender, it's right outside! (or a quick drive to storage)

Every monte is amazing and unique in it's own way.
ALL monte carlo's are bada*s to begin with!
I think those whole boo hoo I'll never win blah blah stuff is nonsense! IT's ALL FOR GOOD FUN!! Lets keep it good fun!
Just because you don't get nominated doesn't mean your monte isn't sweet! They all are in my book!

hope this didn't make anyone mad! Just lets get long and keep this site fun and HAPPY!

Long Live the MC!

Quick Reply: My Views about MCF<What's Yours?