General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Slow Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:09 PM

Also another question for bumpin or anyone with the knowledge, if I were to swap out my springs because I believe the heads are high miles, should I just go with stock ones or upgrade? I do NOT plan on running any cams, just the modified 1.9 ratio rockers.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:34 PM

Finally! A legitimate update for you guys! Okay, so today I headed down to my uncles house who lives about twenty minutes out of Detroit. Anyways, we installed the gauges together. The Aeroforce could not be easier, it plugs into the OBD2 and that's it. It's all set, hahaha. Then came the narrowband. We cut into the O2 return wire and soldered the gauge's wire to that. Then, we used power from the fuse box, and a ground on the bolt that connects the dash to the frame. I forget what we used for the fuse box, basically it's a fuse with a wire that we connected the power supply to the Air/Fuel to, then you plug the original fuse into the side of it. It worked perfectly! And now if I want to upgrade to a wideband it'll be a twenty minute job max.

here are the gauges in the A pillar. We had to heat the pod because it wasn't a direct fit, and we had to drill into the A pillar. It's a little ghetto, but I hardly notice it and I still enjoy it, so it makes me happy. Also, there is foam on the back as a safety precaution. To run the wires down we needed to cut into the foam. Here is the channel and the wires on the back of the A pillar:

Here is the front view of the gauges in the A pillar

Here is a picture of it all installed and working properly

I'm anticipating these pictures being very large, so I apologize for that. Also, I took them with my phone so I'm also sorry for the quality. I'll try to put up a night picture tonight if I remember!

Last edited by oneslowmonte; 10-22-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:16 PM

Here's that night picture of the cockpit!

Old 10-23-2011, 07:59 PM

Woops, it double posted. On a side note I think I should be able to afford headers or a new intake within the next week if all goes well! Can't decide between the JMP fenderwell or the wizaired CAI

Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 PM

I'm thinking about adding 90 pound springs to the heads for higher shift points, plus my L67 heads are pretty high mileage. If I were to ask the guy at the machine shop to port them once they're cleaned what would I say exactly? I would like the exhaust valves ported a bit? I don't want to sound like an idiot, any advice is much appreciated!

Old 10-30-2011, 10:20 PM

This thing was horrible, locked up 6HP according to my aeroforce too! Glad I got this sucker replaced Wasn't sure if going high-flow would make a difference? I doubt it, but for now I'm just glad that I have a fresh fuel filter on hahaha

Old 10-31-2011, 11:29 AM

Wow, I should be able to do all of this as I make more than 80 bucks a week but I can never find the money to...hmmm maybe I should stop partying on the weekends!! Hahah but good build and good luck man! Keep us updated!

Old 10-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

looking good! where did you get that gauge pillar? sorry if i missed it lol

Old 10-31-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by NovaSS369
Wow, I should be able to do all of this as I make more than 80 bucks a week but I can never find the money to...hmmm maybe I should stop partying on the weekends!! Hahah but good build and good luck man! Keep us updated!
Thank you It's appreciated! I guess I just bum things like that off my friends a lot

Originally Posted by trewyn15
looking good! where did you get that gauge pillar? sorry if i missed it lol
Weird story, I was at my friends house with a couple friends and his brother also had a friend over. His brothers friend also owns a Monte and had the pod in his hand and walked over to us and said "Hey, you guys can fight over this!" Well, nobody else wanted it. Anyways, I think it was just a universal guage pod, the color is a tiny bit off my A-pillar and originally it didn't fit very well but my uncle and I heated it up and molded it to the shape of the pillar. You can also see that there are screws in it which would ward many people off but to me it's not bothersome at all

Old 11-02-2011, 08:39 PM

As you stare at this picture I know exactly what you are thinking. You say to yourself, what the heck is this kid doing with a 1998 Grand Prix GTP PCM? And the answer to that is that my uncle picked this sucker up for me, what a life saver! And as you read this response to your first thought, you then think to yourself: Will this work on a 2000 Monte Carlo SS? And my answer to that is that I'm not really sure, but my uncle picked it up for $10 so I figure it's worth a shot! I'm assuming that if I send it to Overkill when I get my general tune done he can just upload the stock 2000 MCSS files and modify from there.

Quick Reply: My Slow Build Thread