General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Slow Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 09:55 PM
Default My Slow Build Thread

Revised~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After trouble finding 1.95 yella terra roller ratio rockers, I've decided to ditch the rockers all together and go for a VS cam instead. Now with these mods what pulley size should I run? I'm between a 3.3 and 3.4, I'm leaning 3.4. (VS, N*, headers w/ 3in dp, FWI, ported heads) any input would be nice

First off, let me start by saying that this will not be a very fast moving thread. I currently make $80 a week, with a $100 monthly payment, while dropping $30-$40 on gas. I only get two shifts of work a week and pretty soon I'll be missing a few of my few shifts once the hockey season gets swinging through, but my goal is to have my general set-up done by May or so. Atleast my first set up that is. I live on a dirt road with tons of pot holes and very harsh winter weather.

Once again, let me say it, this thread will be very slow moving! A post a week or so will most likely be the norm. I would love any input you guys could offer, because I have a tonnnnnnnn of questions! Here is my general plan as of now, this is subject to change of course.

Let me start off by saying that I really want to be able to run a 3.4" pulley. That's just a personal goal, I'm not sure why. I think that should put me in the mid-13's depending on how well I am able to launch. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!

My planned mods: (not completely in order, but this should be a bit general)

Top Swap- I currently have the LIM, heads, TB, M90 (minus the coupler) and the fuel rail. I still need the balancer, map sensor, pulleys and the injectors (I accidently bought S1 injectors, that's my fault for not paying enough attention). Always double check what you are buying! That is my new motto hahaha.

Colder plugs- I bought Copperlite 104's

180* Tstat - , I also have the gasket, but on second thought I don't think that will work because I told Autozone it was for a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, not a GTP, grrrrrrr

Aeroforce Scan Guage - I have a two pod pillar that was given to me, and I am about a week or two away from ordering this bad boy. I'm excited!

Air/Fuel ratio gauge - I think I will just buy a cheap narrowband guage for the time being, I think that it is more important to get the rest of the set-up down, since money will be tight and I can't have everything I want right away! Plus I want to fill that pod up, it will look stupid with just one guage in there.

Headers - This is pivotal for the 3.4", does anyone know if these are reliable? They are speed daddy's. They are really cheap, but if I hear enough bad news about it I will just go with pacesetters. GRAND PRIX/GTP/REGAL/IMPALA/MONTE CARLO HEADER/EXHAUST | eBay

Rockers - I want the ZZP modified 1.9's, I am going to have my heads refurbished at a local machine shop, they are pretty high mileage so they definately need them! It makes a lot more sense to me to wait to put the heads on after I put rockers on them, then have to remove the cylinder heads once they've been replaced already.

~~As a side note, this is where I got to until I accidently changed pages and had to retype all of this~~

Polyurethane Engine Mounts - Cheap an transfer power to the wheels quickly

N* TB - I don't know if this will go on or not by the time I am going to supercharge, but it is definately something I want to do. I'd have the supercharger ported obviously

Wizaired CAI - I have a HAI right now, but its essential to run a 3.4 with my desired set-up I've heard. Is this correct? Could I safely run that pulley with a HAI? I don't want to do fenderwall because of my road.

Overkill Tuned - This is just so I can drive it immediately after supercharging, I plan on having it Ryan C tuned afterwards.

I would like to have an IC and lower it, but due to money and current DD conditions I can't do either of those things.

Now this is where I plan on leaving my car for a while and touching up the body a bit, how long should my trans last? What exactly will happen to the trans? Are the parts not durable enough for the power? I.E. need a harder differential or something like that? Where can I get a more durable one? How much does it cost? Would a trans cooler make a big enough difference to make my trans last long enough to justify the cost?

I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions to ask! And I'll hopefully be able to add pictures along every step of the way.

This post is not done, I just have to wake up early tomorrow morning so I will be typing more in the near future.

Last edited by oneslowmonte; 11-24-2011 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 10:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

How are you doing this on $80 a week? I would like to know because that's where I'm about to be haha

Looks like a good build

Old 09-28-2011, 10:41 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

good luck with your project making somthing eith nothing will deff be dificult but so worth it in the end

Old 09-29-2011, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
How are you doing this on $80 a week? I would like to know because that's where I'm about to be haha

Looks like a good build
Well recently my car payment was $150 a month so that was tough The plan then was to wait until christmas and hope I got a lot of money from family, but every week I take out $25 for my car payment, take out $20-$30 for gas, and put what I can into my "next part fund." On months when there is an extra pay period (I get paid every week) I will put in the regular amount on the first four weeks and then on the last week I'll take out the gas money and put the rest in the fund. Normally I try to use less than $5 a week in spending money, but that's a test of mental strength hahaha.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:14 PM

Anyone know if a high flow fuel filter from ZZP is a good idea? I'm going to change mine out and thought I'd search around. Anyways, I'm going to start putting pictures up of my inventory. Here are the spark plugs with the $3 mail in rebate. I also threw in the thermostat and gasket, will those work if I told the guy at the desk 2000 monte carlo ss once I top swap? I'm sure the LIM is different, isn't it a part of that where the Tstat goes? On an extension of it?

Old 09-29-2011, 06:39 PM

I would also like to throw in that the reason in my particular build is that I do NOT want to cam my car at all. The gas mileage and engine durability would be cut to a point that I am not comftorable with doing to my DD.

On a side note, my car started making a noise that can be best described as a hundred needles in a tin can being shaken up and down. I diagnosed it as my A/C compressor, and given the expensiveness of this beast, I will be doing an A/C delete. A problem fixed and a more impressive build all in one

Old 09-30-2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by oneslowmonte
Let me start off by saying that I really want to be able to run a 3.4" pulley. That's just a personal goal, I'm not sure why. I think that should put me in the mid-13's depending on how well I am able to launch. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG!

180* Tstat - , I also have the gasket, but on second thought I don't think that will work because I told Autozone it was for a 2000 Monte Carlo SS, not a GTP, grrrrrrr

Aeroforce Scan Guage - I have a two pod pillar that was given to me, and I am about a week or two away from ordering this bad boy. I'm excited!

~~As a side note, this is where I got to until I accidently changed pages and had to retype all of this~~
I'd be careful running a 3.4" with that setup. I have basically the same thing and I have knock still (very little, but its there). Scan and then drop if you can. I am going to intercool my setup next year to be able to drop a pulley size.

I think you will be ok with your t-stat and gasket. I took the 180* out of my L36 and put it in the L67 LIM when I did the topswap and it was ok.

Dang!!! I typed a bunch too and hit something wrong and my page went back to your post. Had to retype too...this thread is cursed!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by LW57912
I'd be careful running a 3.4" with that setup. I have basically the same thing and I have knock still (very little, but its there). Scan and then drop if you can. I am going to intercool my setup next year to be able to drop a pulley size.

I think you will be ok with your t-stat and gasket. I took the 180* out of my L36 and put it in the L67 LIM when I did the topswap and it was ok.

Dang!!! I typed a bunch too and hit something wrong and my page went back to your post. Had to retype too...this thread is cursed!
Hahahah that's hilariously ironic with the retyping! And I was afraid of that. Hmmm, I wonder how big of a difference a TB spacer would make? I may just run a 3.5", I don't want to risk anything. I guess it's something to think about. I'm glad I'll be able to constantly scan for knock with my aeroforce, I sold a subwoofer online yesterday, so I think I'll be ordering the Aero this weekend, and then I'll install it in a week or two. And I respect the IC, I hope I can someday afford one! They are pretty heftily charged.

Edit: Oh and I almost forgot to ask! How much crank and whp do you think your setup has LW? I'm curious to where this would put me, I'd assume over 300 crank?

Last edited by oneslowmonte; 09-30-2011 at 02:31 PM.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 PM

I honestly don't know for sure what I got for whp or at the crank. I think rockers add 20hp, the topswap 40hp-50hp, the headers/intake/exhaust...no idea...maybe 10hp???

Either way though the car is much faster and MUCH more fun to drive. Its all worth doing in my opinion. Just be careful if you start dropping pulley's. I know you said you want to shoot for a 3.4, but personally I can't see that happening without and intercooler or other mods to get rid of knock...but each engine is different so who knows what you'll end up with.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by LW57912
I honestly don't know for sure what I got for whp or at the crank. I think rockers add 20hp, the topswap 40hp-50hp, the headers/intake/exhaust...no idea...maybe 10hp???

Either way though the car is much faster and MUCH more fun to drive. Its all worth doing in my opinion. Just be careful if you start dropping pulley's. I know you said you want to shoot for a 3.4, but personally I can't see that happening without and intercooler or other mods to get rid of knock...but each engine is different so who knows what you'll end up with.
I guess we'll find out On a side note, it looks like I will be missing a ton of work shifts for the next two or three months I'd better hope I get a lot of christmas money, and I keep meaning to go up in the attic to take pictures of what I currently have for the setup, but I never get around to it

Quick Reply: My Slow Build Thread