General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Slow Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- March 2013
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

sounds like a good build. keep it up.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by lougreen03
sounds like a good build. keep it up.
Thanks It says you're in Michigan, maybe next summer you can check it out at Woodward or something

Old 10-03-2011, 05:36 AM

Aeroforce has been ordered! I am excited to see how long it takes to ship

Old 10-04-2011, 08:44 PM

Ohhhh well would you look at what showed up in the mail today

Old 10-09-2011, 11:39 AM

I can't wait to put my aeroforce in, another random question, what should I gap the spark plugs to when I put them in? Oh well, I guess I'll have to do some searching

Old 10-10-2011, 09:36 PM

I also think a 3.4" is overly optimistic. I've seen L67's just get KR under control with those mods- and you're almost a full point higher compression. I wouldn't be so worried about getting to a certain pulley size as I would be being happy with the car. Most L67's have KR bone stock on a 3.8" pulley, so just by you running higher compression, you're going to have a decent amount of KR to get rid of with mods just as it is with the stock pulley.

If it were me, I'd leave the stock pulley on for the time being, they're relatively easy to change later. Then once you get the car running correctly with the swap and new mods, then think about doing your pulley drop and custom tune. The thing is, a good tuner can get rid of a bunch of KR, but IMO, you're better off not pushing it too far on the boost- you end up having to kill KR with reduced timing and drowning it in fuel.

If you're that tight on money- I'd skip the AF gauge (especially if you're just going to put it on a narrowband sensor), your tuner can still tune it just fine- a WB is obviously better, but you're on a really tight budget and aren't tuning a NIC or some kind of big cam setup. I would've also skipped the aeroforce- just too much money for a small budget, and you could've saved on a pod for the gauges too. All those mods on a stock 3.8" pulley would be plenty safe, then drop to your 3.4, 3.5, whatever just before going to your tuner- and have them scan and tune for it. If they tuned it properly and with some safety margin, you wouldn't really have to worry about KR again unless you put 87 in it or something crazy like that.

I'd skip the poly mounts- just rotate the stock mounts 90*. Doesn't do as much as polys, but many people end up selling polys anyways because they vibrate too much. IMO too much money for virtually no gain on a setup like that on a budget.

I'd also scrap the wizair idea. A HAI will work, but IMO, the best option would be to get the filter moved as far to the fenderwell as possible, use some of that plastic roof flashing to cover the filter from the engine bay side so it only sucks from the fenderwell. As long as your wheel well liners are in place, you won't be getting any real debris or any water that high up anyways.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
I also think a 3.4" is overly optimistic. I've seen L67's just get KR under control with those mods- and you're almost a full point higher compression. I wouldn't be so worried about getting to a certain pulley size as I would be being happy with the car. Most L67's have KR bone stock on a 3.8" pulley, so just by you running higher compression, you're going to have a decent amount of KR to get rid of with mods just as it is with the stock pulley.

If it were me, I'd leave the stock pulley on for the time being, they're relatively easy to change later. Then once you get the car running correctly with the swap and new mods, then think about doing your pulley drop and custom tune. The thing is, a good tuner can get rid of a bunch of KR, but IMO, you're better off not pushing it too far on the boost- you end up having to kill KR with reduced timing and drowning it in fuel.

If you're that tight on money- I'd skip the AF gauge (especially if you're just going to put it on a narrowband sensor), your tuner can still tune it just fine- a WB is obviously better, but you're on a really tight budget and aren't tuning a NIC or some kind of big cam setup. I would've also skipped the aeroforce- just too much money for a small budget, and you could've saved on a pod for the gauges too. All those mods on a stock 3.8" pulley would be plenty safe, then drop to your 3.4, 3.5, whatever just before going to your tuner- and have them scan and tune for it. If they tuned it properly and with some safety margin, you wouldn't really have to worry about KR again unless you put 87 in it or something crazy like that.

I'd skip the poly mounts- just rotate the stock mounts 90*. Doesn't do as much as polys, but many people end up selling polys anyways because they vibrate too much. IMO too much money for virtually no gain on a setup like that on a budget.

I'd also scrap the wizair idea. A HAI will work, but IMO, the best option would be to get the filter moved as far to the fenderwell as possible, use some of that plastic roof flashing to cover the filter from the engine bay side so it only sucks from the fenderwell. As long as your wheel well liners are in place, you won't be getting any real debris or any water that high up anyways.
Hmmm that is a lot to think about. Wouldn't I need to tune it every time I swap a pulley? I feel like that could easily add up, and the fenderwell is definately something to think about, I'm just afraid of all the dust that my road kicks up. Also, what would be best to block out the engine bay air from the fenderwell? I'm not familiar with plastic roof flashing, a link would be very helpful As a random side note the guage pod was given to me by a buddy.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
Old 10-14-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by montyss02
Thank you, will that cover everything up? The space for the fender from the engine, so the temps won't reach the AI?

Old 10-17-2011, 02:09 PM

Tiny update: This weekend I swapped out my front three plugs for autolite copper, as it will be a few months before the top swap. Also, I greased my ball joints and touched up on two little rust spots. Waiting for the narrowband to come in the mail so I can install it with my aeroforce!

Quick Reply: My Slow Build Thread