General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My Monte is Struggling...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:07 PM
3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My Monte is Struggling...

I feel a bit in over my head here because of all the issues my Monte is suffering from... so much CEL!

The hard shifting problem (P1811) is one of the most prominent ones because it's the most noticeable. It's probably doing a bit of damage too, and I'm really not sure where to go with this issue. I don't want to get ripped off by any shops or by the dealer. I've hear that Lucas' Transmission Fluid for Slipping will heal the tranny and the code will actually go off. I just don't know.

Apparently, a code for "Low Tire Pressure" registers with the CEL when that message appears on the Message Center because it popped up during an Autozone scanning. My aftermarket tires without TPMS set it off intermittently. It can be reset through the radio obviously, but I can't have it turning the CEL on if I wish to pass OBD.

The "Low Coolant Level" light appears randomly. I'm sick of this. Previous owner said it was just a problem with the monitor. But it was actually a little low when I brought it in for a tune up. Guy topped it off, but it turned on a little less than a week later. I have no idea if I actually have issues or not.

Emissions was a disaster: Failed right away because the CEL was on obviously, but the codes that were present didn't include the shifting or tire ones (do they only show the ones actually related to emissions??) I got the codes "P0420" for a "Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)" which we've discussed extensively HERE. I plan on doing the spark plug non-fouler trick to solve this until I get a totally new catback (if I ever do).

But this code popped up too: P0442 for "Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected" which was new... People have suggested to replace the gas cap or bend the tabs that hold it in the right way (but replacing the gas cap never seems to work for anyone). So there's a small tear(s) on the vacuum hoses (usually near the end of them). UGH. Which approach to try? I wonder if it had to do with the fact that I filled it with 93 one day earlier (was forced to because I almost ran out of gas and when I stopped at the cheap cash only place they only had super.)

Last edited by Dubstepticon; 08-10-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM

And finally, the paperwork the emissions attendee gave me included some past issues with the car. I'll include the important ones.

(red numbers mean I ripped the paper in that section and couldn't tell what it actually was)
TSB: 06-07-30-023D 4T65E TRANSMISSION 1-2 SHIFT SHUDDER AT LIGHT TO MODERATE ACCELERATION (REPLACE 2ND CLUTCH PLATES AND SEALING RINGS)

TSB: 08-07-30-026A INFORMATION ON SLIGHT VEHICLE MOVEMENT IN PARK AT STARTUP AFTER COLD SOAK

TSB: 02-08-42-001E HEADLAMP, TAIL LAMP, OR FOG/DRIVING LAMP DAMAGE (a.k.a Finally confirmed that this sucka was in an accident and the bumper was crappily replaced.)

TSB: 01-08-42-001H EXTERIOR LAMP CONDENSATION AND REPLACEMENT GUIDELINES (What's this about? Related to how the headlights were replaced after the accident, or does it have to do with my minimal condensation in my current headlights?)

Whew.....sorry for the novel guys, but thank you so so so much for your help.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ok, the transmission is a problem and it's not cheap to pay a shop to do it. Fluid will not magically make it better.

You don't have TPMS sensors in your wheels, they are in your wheel hub assembly. If you get the light that means one of the sensors is starting to go bad, or you are low on air in one tire.

The low coolant level light, that sensor likes to get gunked up. In 2003 GM realized how bad the system was and got rid of it. You can unplug that sensor and the light will never ever come back on (that's what I did)

You know about the P0420

EVAP systems are a PITA the diagnose over the forum. There truly is a ton of things that can be wrong. A smoke test from a shop can usually pin-point the problem quickly.

IDK why there are TSB's for the lights, I just assume they are damaged, the condensation is because they aren't sealing correctly.

The TSB about the slight movement is just there to prove that it is normal on an automatic car, here's the text from the TSB if you want to read it:

Bulletin No.: 08-07-30-026

Date: May 22, 2008

Subject:
Information on Slight Vehicle Movement In Park At Start Up After Cold Soak

Models:
2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)
2009 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3
2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

with Automatic Transmission

Some vehicles may rock or move slightly forward or rearward while in park at start up after cold soak. This condition may be accompanied by a clunk noise. This is a slight movement that is more often seen visually, rather than felt, when viewed from the outside and using the auto-start feature, if equipped.

This slight movement is due to the residual transmission fluid in the clutch packs that creates a partial apply on start up. This movement is stopped by the parking pawl and/or transmission fluid exhausting completely from the clutch packs.

This slight movement has no adverse affects on the transmission and no repair should be attempted. This condition is normal. This can be verified by comparing with another identically built vehicle under the same cold conditions.

To prevent this condition from occurring, the parking brake should be utilized as per the Owners Manual recommendations anytime the vehicle is parked.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:37 PM

I'm really gonna need someone who can help me get a tune and have some of these codes deleted. When are you getting yours, mike? The transmission is clearly the worst problem. The others seem solvable. Oh btw mike apparently I CAN still get a ticket with the rejected sticker on! Those TPMS sensors don't work with the new wheels and rims since they're an awkward size. I'll get in touch with a shop about the evap and have em check the tranny situation at the same time.

Thanks so much for that detailed response Mike!

Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM

15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Dubstepticon
I'm really gonna need someone who can help me get a tune and have some of these codes deleted. When are you getting yours, mike? The transmission is clearly the worst problem. The others seem solvable. Oh btw mike apparently I CAN still get a ticket with the rejected sticker on! Those TPMS sensors don't work with the new wheels and rims since they're an awkward size. I'll get in touch with a shop about the evap and have em check the tranny situation at the same time.

Thanks so much for that detailed response Mike!
I don't see myself getting the tuning software this year because I bought that Centrifugal Supercharger kit.

Again, you don't have TPMS sensors, your car doesn't use them. They are sensors WITHIN the wheel hub assembly, they just count rotation speed. When one is different it assumes the air is lower.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I don't see myself getting the tuning software this year because I bought that Centrifugal Supercharger kit.

Again, you don't have TPMS sensors, your car doesn't use them. They are sensors WITHIN the wheel hub assembly, they just count rotation speed. When one is different it assumes the air is lower.
Ohhhh ahhhh I get now! Would a simple Google search help me find the coolant sensor?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Ohhhh ahhhh I get now! Would a simple Google search help me find the coolant sensor?
try it to find out? lol (new model below)

04 monte carlo coolant sensor | eBay

looks like a cheap fix

Or you can just clean it, the coolant gunks up in there all the time and you can fix it easy.

Why not just turn the light off for the lights after you check all of the pressures?

Turn the key to the on position and fully push in and pull out the headlight dimmer switch.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by trewyn15
try it to find out? lol (new model below)

04 monte carlo coolant sensor | eBay

looks like a cheap fix

Or you can just clean it, the coolant gunks up in there all the time and you can fix it easy.

Why not just turn the light off for the lights after you check all of the pressures?

Turn the key to the on position and fully push in and pull out the headlight dimmer switch.
I'll clean it up. And yea I've got the stock headunit still so I use that for turning off/resetting things.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:51 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I'll clean it up. And yea I've got the stock headunit still so I use that for turning off/resetting things.
Yeah, use that or the method I posted, both work fine, does it come back on right away?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:57 PM

15 Year Member

Just unplug it. It's under the radiator cap, then keep an eye on your fluids with normal maintenance