General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Is my car hibernating? (Break downs)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Monte Of The Month -- April 2016
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

OK, down to $4K for a transplant motor with 65,000 on it. Tax refund. Easy come, easy go.

It's the labor here that runs up the price when it comes to old fashioned repair of something. You are lucky if you have the skills, I admire the capabilities of the MCF family that can take motors apart on a Saturday and have it put back together in time to go to work on Monday.

I just spent 2K on the CRV. the ol water pump/timing belt and a distributor job.

I'll placate myself and go rent a Charger or Camaro.

get well soon, my sweetness

Just to keep the man card - my son is visiting this week and I fixed a corroded tail light socket and took apart the power seat pivots to adjust the seat (couldn't get the power seat to work, he's been driving it with the seat too upright) on his beater Volvo wagon.

Last edited by Barovelli; 02-20-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:36 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Barovelli, man, I am bummed to read all this. That is truly painful to read. I'm amazed it had no sign of failure, ran and suddenly no start. I wonder if the shop doing your motor swap can take a look at it once it's out (such as pop the oil pan off and see if there are any grinded goodies).

Here's to hoping the donor motor treats you well.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:11 PM

Wow, I'm sorry to hear this. It just goes to show you that sometimes you can do all the routine maintenance and something will still let go.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM

down side it broke bright side you can look into a different engine if it is the v6. if you choose to do so. i have been looking into the 3800 for mine if my 3500 ever breaks again because it is out of warrenty now also looking into the 3.6 chevy has for the impala but i know it would be alot of work. but that is what i am looking into for my self. but i am sorry to here that your monte said i am sorry and didnt start back up. befor looking for anouther engine or any thing wait for what the shop has said before looking for any thing for a replacement. for it yet do to not sure what happend to let you down it could be some thing just silly that it didnt want to start like a bad cell in the battery or a conection to a sensor or some thing to that nature. the problem that i had was the head gasket gave on it and pretty much drained all coolent into the back three cylenders and bent every thing while driving thats why i got it replaced under warrenty.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 AM

Wow... Sorry to hear about your catastrophic engine failure.

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Something broke in there is my guess. I will say that I've always heard a soft ticka-ticka kind of sound from the driver's side but always ignored it.
I had a 'ticka-ticka' sound in an old engine (Jaguar 4.2L straight six). Turns out it was a broken valve push rod. The engine hardly gave any indication that anything was wrong. I caught it before it did irreparable damage to the engine. I guess I got lucky.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 PM
10 Year Member

Update - paid a visit - the donor motor arrived today, possible resuscitation on Friday.

The mech will try and locate the cause of death and let me know.

Driving a rental, dealer referral got a 10% discount at Enterprise. Rental is a 2012 Impala LT, choice was that or a Hyundai SUV.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Since you already have a replacement engine I'm a bit late weighing in on this, but was the diagnosis done by a reputable and trusted shop? From the description you gave I would suspect a seized starter motor/solenoid. If the armature seized while the solenoid was is the start position (engaged with flex plate) it could prevent the engine from turning over. The smell you commented about could have been an internal short in the solenoid which would kill power to the vehicle. I just hope their diagnosis is correct, but it sure seems odd that the engine would seize with no prior warning (severe piston slap/rod knock) of a pending failure. Keep us updated on the outcome.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member

Mike
It's at the dealership. I've been there before for anything over my head, and I used to take GM fleet trucks there.

Starter was the first thing checked, then tried to turn the motor over by hand and it was a no-go.

There is only one independent auto repair shop I trust and they only work on imports.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:30 AM

Monte Of The Month -- July 2010
Monte Of The Month -- July 2013
IT HERTZ
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

man that just SUX !!! I had to replace mine last year but I just love this car !! best of luck man !!!

Old 02-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Monte Of The Month -- August 2012

Originally Posted by Barovelli
Mike
It's at the dealership. I've been there before for anything over my head, and I used to take GM fleet trucks there.

Starter was the first thing checked, then tried to turn the motor over by hand and it was a no-go.

There is only one independent auto repair shop I trust and they only work on imports.
That's good to hear. I've just read/heard of too many times someone being snookered by a less than reputable shop over a simple fix. I hope the replacement engine gives you many miles of trouble free service. 73

Quick Reply: Is my car hibernating? (Break downs)