General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My beloved Monte....

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My beloved Monte....

My Monte is starting to age fast. So fast, I can't keep up with the repairs required to keep it in "good condition"

It's got a whopping 812,682 miles on it now and I'm only keeping this car cause if i hit a million miles I will be able to give it up to chevrolet of USA for a trade on a Camaro V6 fully optioned or they will allow for a $24,000 purchase of a new car of my choice. So that's cool and all but I'm sitting here trying to stack those miles on and on the process I have to deal with the following:

1. My driver side door decided it doesn't want to open on Sunday evening this past weekend. I ripped the interior panel in hopes to dislodge the lock actuator but that didn't go as planned as I need the door open to remove it completely. I tried to put the door panel back on and it won't go back on unless the door is opened sadly so now I have to ride it with out the driver door panel on nor it opening!
Name:  15B7D508-C7B0-4521-9D8B-89440B36C021.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  83.1 KB

The front end is shot to all hell, I got backed into last year by a Tahoe that demolished my front end and the person who hit me ran off, the only camera (cctv) that had vision of the assult was a side view shot and the license plate wasn't visible so I'm doomed do continue riding this car with the damage.

Name:  3219C0AB-3851-49EA-A761-FB097FAD4702.jpg
Views: 45
Size:  102.7 KB
Name:  13541435-E509-4072-806A-13C80FF6DBCB.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  81.0 KB
Radio, front suspension, E brake, and front left wheel have all failed now, the lug nuts aren't coming off on the front left tire and everything behind that wheel is shot to hell (I.e. Ball joint, tie rod, sway bar link and control arm.) so now it's a choice of ride it as is or break all studs and repair as needed.

Other wise this car mechanicllly is in tip top shape, the motor and transmission were rebuilt a year ago with warranty existing till march 2018 (unlimited miles warranty) so I'm safe on that part.

Hoping to get this Monte into the one million mark before it gives all out.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:15 PM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2015
1 Year Member

My advice is ride it till the wheels fall off. Look at your incentives. You won't get much if you sell it. Won't get anything if you park it. But 100 and some odd thousand miles from now you could trade it in on a brand new car. That's what I would do. You got the warranty to get you through it. Just keep thinking about that brand new car. I know you can do it.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:16 PM

Ps. I have the money to fix this car but I feel insulted if anyone beside me fixed anything on it, I've had it for 12 years and no one beside me has touched it since, only problem I have is time. I dont honestly have time to fix it any more. Also if or not it does hit the million marker Mark it will be replaced with an infiniti G37 sport with a manual transmission. That I already know but right now time is a virtue.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Man, your Monte has a LOT of miles. I had no idea. Good luck and let us know when/if you hit the million mile mark. I was unaware of that GM incentive. Wish I had something even close to that many miles to do that kind of trade.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Impressive mileage for sure! You should start a thread showing pics of odometers and high mileages lol!

I hope you make it to 1 mil!!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:49 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

put the car on jack stands, throw her in drive, cruise control at 65mph, go have some beers and dinner and take a nap a few times, hit the 1 million and send her down the road!

(if you do this have the car pointed at a cement barrier incase it falls off the stands lol)

Old 06-18-2015, 05:23 PM

LoL I've thought of that but in case they need me to provide proof of milage I can show fuel, iPass and maybe emission testing if needed.

However;

I found out yesterday that when/if Monte hits a MILLION miles they can credit me for a purchase of another car in the last 250k so as long as my Monte is at 750k or more I can buy a replacement but without giving up the actual Monte. I confirmed this with GM head quarters In Michigan. So now I'm in the hunt cause we all know this Monte won't bring me any money in a trade in or private sale (at least nothing over $1,000)

Now I'm back to my replacement search again (I did this before) but I wanted to test drive all the cars I want to replace the Monte with, all are sedans/4 doors since I got two kids and a 3rd on the way even though they never ride in my car you never know what the future holds with them present.
My replacement for poor Monte is as follows but most favorite:

1. Infiniti G37S sedan (with a Manual)
2. Infiniti G37xS sedan (auto sadly)
3. Acura TL type-SH (manual & AWD)
4. Lexus IS350 (auto, RWD, fast but small as hell inside)
5. Hyndai genius 5.0 R spec (RWD but auto only)
6. M-Benz C350 (AWD or RWD either way auto only)
7. Chevrolet SS (RWD but auto only)
8. Pontiac G8 GT (auto only but good for the price)
9. Pontiac G8 GXP or FIREHAWK but a bit over my budget.
10. BMW 335xi (AWD & manual possible but hard to find)

Old 06-19-2015, 09:13 AM
Monte Of The Month -- July 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2016
10 Year Member

will you be driving this in the winter? if so that would cut the choices to the awd vehicles and NO bmw!