General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

My 1988 Super Sport Build-Up

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default My 1988 Super Sport Build-Up

I figured I would compile all the info on my car here.
It should be an easy to update way to share my progress as I put the car back together.

In short, here is the story...
~I picked up this 1988 SS Monte from a friend of mine who owns a local junkyard. He had taken the car in trade and planned on building it himself, but as I proceeded to bug him about it every time I came to his house, I finally got him to part with it. The reason I was so intrigued by the car was that it was a solid rolling chassis with no undercarriage rot and 72xxx miles. The previous owner blew the factory 305 and pulled the motor....but that's where they lost motivation.

Overall the car was pretty complete and in decent shape. At some point, the previous owner had the entire car resprayed the OEM silver, but it looked like a Maaco paint job special (over-spray on the moldings and pretty dull). The left front fender had a pretty big dent, but the car came with a good usable replacement fender in the same color. There is a little bit of cancer bubbling through the bottom of the rear quarters, but no rot yet. I plan on fixing all the body work and respraying the car in a few weeks anyways.

Interior is a very light gray, and in decent shape as well. It needs a good cleaning which I started on yesterday. The dash pad has one small crack dead center which drives me nuts, and the carpet will most likely need to be replaced. The bucket seats in the front are presentable and the rears are near mint. The dashboard is a combination of black, gray and red pinstripe, and of course its a console shift car. Car has power windows, locks, rear defroster, AC and cruise.

This is what she looked like right after being dropped off:

I received a full set of SS wheels in good shape (not pictured) with the deal as well. I already have an engine/ trans combo for this vehicle. The motor is an 1988 350 TPI from a camaro iroc-z and the transmission is a TH350 I built with a manual valve body and 2200 stall convertor.

I started last night pulling off the bad fender and inner liner. I am going to have to pull the RF fender as well because my goal is to paint/ undercoat the frame rails and rebuild the front end by the end of next week. I also yanked the nose to inspect the supports for any damage and etc. I get out of work at 12am, so I didn't get too far last night, but here is what I have...

I also started to disassemble the TPI motor to freshen up with gaskets and clean/ paint everything. I decided to paint the valve covers and TPI manifold a nice silver and clear over it (used regular automotive grade paint and sprayed from a gun). The valve covers are finished products, but I still need to clear the manifold pieces...

I hope to have the car all squared away by end of next month (or at least ready for paint, running and driving). I don't plan on going crazy with this car as I already have my strip car. I will be very mild on this engine. Since my wifey is driving the 01 Monte SS and winter is coming, I needed to build myself a real nice daily driver. 500hp cars don't like snow

Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2012
Monte Of The Month -- February 2016
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

looks like u got yourself a good starting platform, i cant wait to see it compleated!

is that dents or bondo in the driver side quarter it just looks alittle off (right behind the door and behind the wheel)

Old 09-17-2010, 12:33 PM

I think its a little mix of both budsjlm.

Thats why I am CERTAINLY going to do some body repairs and respray lol.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:46 PM

looks good man. not a huge fan of the tpi motor especially if your running the 350 and the car has the 3.73s in it. but then again im sure you know what your doing considering the times your caprice runs.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:00 PM

Im not a huge fan of tuned ports myself, but overall they are very snappy motors. They tend to have really good torque and low-end, matched with the gearing, it should be perfect for a fun around-town car.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:05 PM

yeah. they fall on there face after 4500. they are pretty good down low though. its pretty cool that you found a console shift bucket seat car. what did you pay for it.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:11 PM

Details aren't final lol.

It was originally 800, but I run a little nitrous company and he ended up having me do a fogger setup on his 9 second vette, so we have yet to subtract the difference lol.

Everyone keeps telling me to take the motor out of my caprice and put it in the monte lol.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:49 AM

Put a little more time in after work tonight.

Front end is pretty well stripped. I got the other fender off and took all of the wiring harnesses out. Old computer is out of the cabin. Almost ready to unbolt the suspension and start prepping the frame.

I picked up some primer, undercoating, satin black and clear coat so I can get the front frame done by the end of the weekend. If things keep going smooth, I may even be able to reassemble the motor and mount it up in the cradle sunday.

I still need to pull off the rad support (two bolts), and replace those bushings while im there.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM
Monte Of The Month -- December 2010
Monte Of The Month -- November 2014

Cool! Good luck with your project!