General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Moving the trunk pop button

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default Moving the trunk pop button

The other day I was finishing up my sub/amp install and I was thinking that I didn't like the idea that the trunk pop works if the car is off, on, unlocked, locked, basically the thing always works... I do have a viper alarm installed, but if my trunk gets popped the alarm doesn't go off unless is vibrates the shock sensors enough.

Anyways I experimented a little.. I disconnected the trunk pop under the dash, but my keychain trunk pop wasn't working when it was disconnected. So my plan is to just move the trunk pop button and hide it somewhere under the dash.

My trunk doesn't have a keyhole so I'm thinking this may be a good idea to keep my trunk closed (protecting my equipment) while still being able to operate it from my keychain.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:21 PM

just don't permanently hide it... just in case ur key chain one ceases to operate...

Old 05-02-2010, 06:09 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

theres probably like a power in and power out that if you put together your keychain would still work but like captain said, you wouldnt want to be locked out permanently

Old 05-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just curious. How many wires are connected to the trunk button under the dash?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member

i think its three

power in, ground, power out (to the trunk)

not sure tho

Old 05-02-2010, 08:12 PM

if someone wanted in your trunk they would just take a crow bar and pop it, take some bolt cutters cut your wires then throw your stuff in the trunk of his ride.

if you want your "stuff to be harder to steal then bolt it to the floor, get a rear stb and attach it to that. build your box so it only goes in threw the 60/40 seats, finish building it inside the trunk, use 6 different types of screws.
and my personal favorite go purchase a firearm.

i personally did all of these besides the rear stb one. basicly if you do this they'll really mess up everything trying to get it out, take hours[which they dont have], or get frustrated and leave. most of the time smart theives will see that you have an alarm by the blinking led and not even bother.

i grew up with kids who did this sort of thing, i don't talk to then anymore but if they had to do anything more than the norm they wouldnt bother. they dont want to get caught. its not like once they see you come out the door that they going to stay. most of the time its young kids 16-20, not professional thieves. adults with no morals just steal things like gps's and hu's.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:15 PM

if you really want to "move the button" just set it to get power threw a 12 volt tun on. i dont think its personally a great idea. just scratch off the trunk decal and put a new one on there.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:27 PM
10 Year Member

Originally Posted by Taz
Just curious. How many wires are connected to the trunk button under the dash?
2-3 wires, very small.
Originally Posted by mak330
if someone wanted in your trunk they would just take a crow bar and pop it, take some bolt cutters cut your wires then throw your stuff in the trunk of his ride.
That would take a lot of effort and that amount of force would set my alarm off before they even got it opened.

if you want your "stuff to be harder to steal then bolt it to the floor, get a rear stb and attach it to that. build your box so it only goes in threw the 60/40 seats, finish building it inside the trunk, use 6 different types of screws.
and my personal favorite go purchase a firearm.

i personally did all of these besides the rear stb one. basicly if you do this they'll really mess up everything trying to get it out, take hours[which they dont have], or get frustrated and leave. most of the time smart theives will see that you have an alarm by the blinking led and not even bother.
I did use some velcro on the bottom of the box. I like my box I have now, fits perfect where it needs to be. & I have the forms to purchase a firearms I have to fill out still :]

Trust me an alarm doesn't scare anyone. Just be quick, it only takes about 10 seconds to steal the stereo out of a car.

i grew up with kids who did this sort of thing, i don't talk to then anymore but if they had to do anything more than the norm they wouldnt bother. they dont want to get caught. its not like once they see you come out the door that they going to stay. most of the time its young kids 16-20, not professional thieves. adults with no morals just steal things like gps's and hu's.
If the liq is a good one, a thief will do ANYTHING to get it. I'm talking stolen tow trucks, running a wire from the engine to the trunk pop....

No you're wrong about who is doing the crimes, it's meth addicts (of all ages) who do this sort of **** and they'll figure out a way to get what they want out of a car. I used to know people who would watch cars for weeks before breaking into them.

It's like this, you have to think like a criminal to stop them from getting your stuff.