General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Motorola Box in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by Chevy13
So what purpose does the cellphone-style antenna serve ? Is it just for OnStar ? If so I'm taking mine off too, it looks bush league.
It was for the Onstar. I removed mine a couple months ago. Came off in less than 5 minutes. The rear window looks much better without it.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 PM

Just to muddy the waters, my 05 has the onstar device in the trunk, with the shark fin, but no "cell phone antenna"

the module in the trunk says "OnStar on board" on it. The OnStar subscription is long expired, but the XM is current.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think 05 is when GM changed over to the shark fin antenna from the old cell-phone style.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2007
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I think you are all correct, basically. '04 was the last year of the window mount cell phone antenna. '05 went to the shark fin antenna. Onstar runs on both the GPS unit mounted on the rear window tray AND the stronger than average cell phone.

My Onstar module, which was replaced last summer with a new digital unit, is now mounted on the back of my amp rack behind the rear seat, and NOT in it's original location. The cable is plenty long, and it was a simple move. The antenna was replaced with a digital piece, also. So anything NOT replaced with the new digital module (ie the old analog box and antenna) are totally useless.

As for the XM, the XM tuner is mounted to the upper back side of the passenger side rear wheel well, under the carpet. The Onstar has nothing to do with XM, other than starting in '05 they now share the same antenna unit, or the shark fin antenna. I looked at mounting one on my car, but the wiring for that runs up the passenger side of the car, where mine runs up the drivers side, and things got complicated, and my wiring is all ready complicated. And the shark fin was over $100.

So if you're not using Onstar, or for that matter it's an old analog box, go ahead and remove it, move it, or whatever your heart so desires. And if you need to put your window antenna back on, use some 3M trim tape, and just clean everything good with alcohol 1st.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Taz
Go ahead and toss it. It's the Onstar module. And if it's the original one from 2004, then it's complete junk. Because the original 2004 Onstar module is analog. Onstar turned off their analog signal about a year ago. If you wanted Onstar in your car, you'd have to get that module in your trunk replaced with the digital unit. And they would have to put in the "shark fin" antenna on your roof.

If you haven't already taken that 6" cellphone-style antenna off of your rear window, go ahead and take it off. It's only stuck on with double sided foam-tape. Simply use a putty knife. Slowly and carefully go between the glass and the black plastic base. There is no hole or anything in the glass.

Only take the outside portion off. Leave the inside one alone, or else you could ruin your rear defogger lines.
My Intimidator was converted to digital OnStar by the previous owner, but I don't have the shark fin on top of the car. I have the XM antenna on top, and the cell phone antenna on the back window. I have OnStar active and it works great.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:07 PM

I yanked it out today. It wasn't even hooked up to an antenna or the gps anyways. I'm going to keep the mounting studs and bracket in place. It will make a perfect spot to mount an amp if I ever decide to add one in the future

Old 02-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Default Shark Fin Antenna

Does anyone know if the shark fin antenna creates holes in the roof, mine is mounted directly behind the sunroof glass when the roof is open. Anyone removed one yet, please let me know how it went.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by MonteDaveSS
Does anyone know if the shark fin antenna creates holes in the roof, mine is mounted directly behind the sunroof glass when the roof is open. Anyone removed one yet, please let me know how it went.
I think so because the wire has to go through the roof.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:55 PM

the one on the roof should be for ur XM radio also. my tahoe has the same shark fin on the roof and its for the XM says XM right on the shark fin.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:36 PM

Monte Of The Month - March 2010

There is 2 holes under the shark fin, one is a mounting & wire hole & the other is a aligning hole

Quick Reply: Motorola Box in trunk