General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Motorola Box in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Default Motorola Box in trunk

What is the motorola module on the drivers side of the trunk? Is it for onstar? Its kind of an eye sore and takes up some space and I'd like to remove it if possible. What is it for and what will I loose if its removed? I don't care about onstar so if thats all I'll loose I'll yank it out and sell it. Thank you

Old 06-22-2009, 02:21 PM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

It is for OnStar. I'm not sure if it also has something to do with the XM satellite radio if your car has it.

Old 06-22-2009, 03:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Just slap some carpeting on it :P

Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM

i dont like it either, the cover likes popping off for no reason. far as removing it ....we know its for onstar,but since onstar comes thru the radio i think it could maybe screw up the radio?

Old 06-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Go ahead and toss it. It's the Onstar module. And if it's the original one from 2004, then it's complete junk. Because the original 2004 Onstar module is analog. Onstar turned off their analog signal about a year ago. If you wanted Onstar in your car, you'd have to get that module in your trunk replaced with the digital unit. And they would have to put in the "shark fin" antenna on your roof.

If you haven't already taken that 6" cellphone-style antenna off of your rear window, go ahead and take it off. It's only stuck on with double sided foam-tape. Simply use a putty knife. Slowly and carefully go between the glass and the black plastic base. There is no hole or anything in the glass.

Only take the outside portion off. Leave the inside one alone, or else you could ruin your rear defogger lines.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Monte Of The Month -- September 2009

Originally Posted by jim fischer
i dont like it either, the cover likes popping off for no reason. far as removing it ....we know its for onstar,but since onstar comes thru the radio i think it could maybe screw up the radio?
mine pops off all the time too. i have no idea how to keep the damn thing in place.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:24 AM

i would super glue the damn thing, but then i would have that white cloud stuff.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:11 AM

It does have the shark fin antenna, but I thought that was the xm antenna. If its not going to affect anything but onstar then I'm going to remove it tonight. I think its stupid how they took the time to hide the xm module on the passenger side of the trunk, but left the onstar module out in the open. Mine doesn't even have a cover on it. I'll take the cell antena off too if its there (I don't remember, lol).

Old 06-24-2009, 10:40 AM

So what purpose does the cellphone-style antenna serve ? Is it just for OnStar ? If so I'm taking mine off too, it looks bush league.

[quote=Taz;139243]

If you haven't already taken that 6" cellphone-style antenna off of your rear window, go ahead and take it off. It's only stuck on with double sided foam-tape. Simply use a putty knife. Slowly and carefully go between the glass and the black plastic base. There is no hole or anything in the glass.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:33 PM

That antenna was already removed so I unplugged the onstar module to see what was effected and it just turns out the onstar lights on the rear view, which is even better then just clearing up the trunk space. Radio, xm and everything else are still ok so when I get some time I'm going to completely remove it. How can I tell if its a digital one, does just having the shark fin antenna tell you? If its digital I will probably sell it on ebay to get some mod money if there isn't going to be a problem with someone installing it in another car

edit: just looked on alldata and looks like I can't sell it because it will only work in my car

Last edited by labnjab; 06-24-2009 at 08:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Motorola Box in trunk