General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

More performance AND mpg's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
Default More performance AND mpg's?

I got a White 2002 Monte LS 3.4L

was thinking a
*Borla Exhaust system (http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...A3563A0A0.aspx)

*JET Performance Chip (http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.co...ref=partfinder)

*Fitch Fuel Catalyst (http://www.autoanything.com/fuel-sys...A4162A0A0.aspx)

*Perfect Fit Transmission Assembly 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo (Transmission Tag : 2RDB, GMX210, GMX230)(http://www.performancepartswholesale...Ns=price|0&Ns=)

*K&N FIPK Air Intake (http://www.autoanything.com/air-inta...A1914A0A0.aspx) (Would this work? If not then Regular replacement K&N Air Filter{http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/60A2090A0A0A2601761.aspx})

*K&N Oil Filter (http://www.autoanything.com/oil-filt...A2138A0A0.aspx)
____ ____ ____ _____ ___ __ ____ _____ _____ _____ _____ ______ ____ ____ _______ __ ___ _____ ____ ___

Anything else I should consider? Does anything contradict/conflict? Are there better options than what I listed (including price)? I just want to get the best of each thing that I can so I don't have to keep buying these parts over and over. I want stuff that I can put on once that will last.

Let me know, its all welcome!

Thanks!

Last edited by bnahum; 04-15-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:08 AM

That's a ton of money for virtually no performance gain. That catback is $1000, $250 for the jet chip, $200 for the fitch, $1600 for the trans, $300 for the intake, and $20 for the oil filter.

So that's $2500 for maybe 5 wheel horsepower- sounds like a big waste of time and money.

For each one specifically:

Borla Exhaust system - $1000 is a lot of money for virtually no performance gain, have you thought about just replacing your mufflers? All a catback system really does is change the sound- and it would be way cheaper and 95% as effective just to buy a couple new mufflers and have them welded on.

JET Performance Chip - tons of money for very little gain; get an actual tuned pcm instead- by someone who actually knows these engines. You should be able to get a drop in tuned pcm for $100.

Fitch Fuel Catalyst - this looks like a big load of crap. I'd qualify this under the category with the tornado and electric superchargers.

Perfect Fit Transmission Assembly - what is wrong with your current transmission? I hope you aren't planning on replacing the trans just because...

K&N FIPK Air Intake - IMO the K&N is the worst CAI available for these cars. I'm not sure specifically what other CAI systems will work for the 3400- but the K&N will be at the bottom- the heat shield is thin single sheet metal, and it doesn't perfectly seal the filter off from the engine bay (trust me, I have one on my GP).

K&N Oil Filter - $20 for an oil filter is insane. Use a quality, normal oil filter and you'll be fine. You could easily buy 4 normal filters for the price of that.

Also, that autoanything site seems like generic performance stuff, and their prices seem high on everything anyways. IMO, the only two places I know that sell performance parts specifically for the 3400 are:

www.wot-tech.com

and

www.milzymotorsports.com

$2500 could get you a pretty nice set of performance parts for your 3400- or a complete L67 supercharged 3800 swap and HD trans- either would be way more efficient than buying the stuff above.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

https://www.zzperformance.com/grand_...=247&catid=113

There's your best bet for a CAI. I have the K&N and it sucks, just looks nice.

Read, read read. All that stuff you post is just a waste of money.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member

Cool stuff, but I don't know where to start. What stuff will up performance and mpgs?

I am concerned with the MPGs because this car will be my daily driver. Eventually i wanna get the 07 Monte SS 5.3 V8. Then I will probably get it supercharged or make it run on cam2 (either with a nitrus pack) and just have that specifically for smoking the wannabefast kids. I'm going to suck the SS for all the HP and Torque that it can get.

Last edited by bnahum; 04-16-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:18 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Get the CAI and a u-bend delete (since ZZP stopped making the downpipe for the 3.4, just get the u-bend deleted with a straight pipe)

That will free up some HP and MPGs

Old 04-16-2010, 02:49 PM

If you're worried about saving money, I'd maybe think about leaving it stock. I mean a lot of mods increase horsepower a little and mpg a little (especially things that reduce the restriction to airflow in and out)- but if you're that worried about saving money on MPG- maybe spending $500 on performance parts is a bad idea too?

I mean, figure you do a downpipe for $300 w/ a highflow cat, a $300 CAI box, and a $800 catback exhaust. Power is up a little, mpg should go up a pinch- but you've also spent $1500 in the meantime, so any little mpg savings is going to be totally shot in the purchase price anyways, you know?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:22 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2011
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

I hadn't heard of the Fitch Fuel Catalyst before so I checked it out. Man is it a good thing you asked us first before buying that hunk of junk. Did you see the list they supply of what the thing will do for your car? It's hilarious. Here it is:
  • The Fitch Fuel Catalyst is a permanent bolt-on fuel enhancer
  • Improve fuel economy by up to 1 - 2.5 mpg
  • Enhances fuel quality by boosting the octane in gasoline
  • Allows the use of lower octane fuel
  • Increases the cetane and lubricity in diesel fuel
  • Better fuel quality delivers added horsepower and torque
  • High-quality fuel helps reduce emissions
  • Reduces number of annual oil changes
  • Keeps injectors, jets and spark plugs cleaner for reduced maintenance
  • Completely maintenance free—install it and forget it
  • Easily installs in your fuel line like a fuel filter
  • Your Fitch Fuel Catalyst is backed by a 250,000 mile warranty
Let me ask you a serious question. What does something that deals with fuel and fuel delivery have ANYTHING to do with your oil changes? Plus all they're showing you here is just a list of wishes that people had for their cars. This product is worthless and I wish it was illegal to even sell it.

I say don't modify the car unless you don't care about the money and the fuel economy. But if you do want to modify the car and you don't care about the money then you will get a bonus out of some modifications. I know I was surprised when I installed my procharger. The fuel economy went from 28.5mpg on the highway (almost a full NA 3800 build mind you) to a little over 25mpg and in the city with the procharger after horsing around (burnouts, squealing tires, accessive acceleration) I was getting a little over 17mpg. I'm happy with that.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:21 PM

Monte Of The Month -- January 2010
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Listen to what everyone has already said. Also DO NOT DO NOT, did I mention, DO NOT, buy anything sold by Jet Performance. I bought a power module from them, installed it on my 06 3.5L and it fried my ECM. Notified Jet of the problem, and after dealing with their AWFUL customer support for 2 weeks, they finally did....NOTHING for me. So I had to eat a piece of crap chip that did nothing but ruin my car, and pay a portion of the repairs (thank God I was still under warranty, or I would have eaten all the repairs).

Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member

I'm not worried about saving money really, but I wanna up the horsepower without lowering my gas mileage seeing as its a daily driver. But I definitely want it to go faster too. So if I have to spend money to make it faster I will.

But I was thinking about getting another MC and just ripping the whole thing apart and making it RWD or AWD, finding a way to get DOHCs, making it run CAM 2 and a lot of other customization. But that will cost about 25k. However, I would have the fastest MC around. But all that extensive modification I do NOT plan on doing to my 02 LS.