General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Monte carlo 2006 ss any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Originally Posted by bumpin96monte
That's the downside to front wheel drive, especially with that much torque. Natural weight shift of the car on acceleration unloads the drive wheels which is the opposite of what you want for traction.

Having owned one for many years, I truly think the v8 works against a quick launch too. A lot of the quickest FWD 0-60 factory cars are turbo 4s. From a dead stop, they're not really making any torque - the boost builds as you get rolling which is much easier to apply. With the LS4 in the monte / GP, it makes over 300 lb ft before 2000 rpm (about where the converter will flash to). So right out of the gate the tires are fighting for their life as you do all you can to peddle it. The flip side of course is having that much torque down low is great for cruising. It's got plenty of power down low to pass on the highway with having to scream the engine to do so.

Honestly 6 seconds 0-60 is pretty good for stock FWD (especially keeping in mind that was with 15 year old tire and traction control tech). Even if you look at the top 10 quickest 0-60 FWD cars of all time through today, virtually the whole pack ranges from 5 flat to upper 5s. Even upgrading to a good set of modern high performance tires on the monte would easily put it in this pack.

I'll answer the handful of items below that I know the answer to:

No, you can reuse the pan (unless you want to add one with a drain plug to make future changes easier), but Id definitely buy a new gasket. Make sure to get a stock type one - the robust rubber gasket. Some of the ultra cheap aftermarket ones leak.

I do find it interesting that OEMs are moving away from replaceable transmission filters. Both of my wife's two latest vehicles had non serviceable internal filters - the transmission case is split in half vertically down the middle, so there isn't even a traditional pan - just one simple pipe plug on the bottom of the case as a drain (and no dipstick either...).

Any car that went in for the recall with it had to be removed. If the tech followed the procedure correctly, you'd leave without it. They claim it was tied in to all of the engine bay fires.

People that wanted to save them just removed it before the car went in for the recall. Theres always a plethora of them on ebay if want it back - generally for under $100. Just don't ever go to a dealer for service with it on.
I wish I knew that , never knew they were going to throw it away . Not worth $100 for now , unless i can find one real cheap , Are they easy to put back on ?

The 2007 went for $12.4k . thats I could have afforded . But like you said , NO way to tell what it would have ben like not being able to test drive and look at it with my own eyes .

My first experience over at the GTO forum . A guy has been selling a 2006 gto supposedly mint for $23k 18,000 miles . , It's been on there for months . Everyone keeps saying hard to believe its not sold and they would be getting a steal . I texted the guy and asked simple questions like what's the VIN , any price negotiation (not just going to buy without asking ) can he ship to chicago . Can he send a video of undercarriage or at the very least a few more pictures . He only has 3 pictures . and cable attached to the battery . when someone asked about it , he said . just to keep it topped off . LOL . in Florida . funny ! He texts me back 2 min and says idk maybe this car aint for you . I said I will get a loan from my bank since he wants cash . he writes back , maybe this car is not for you and I don't have any info on any of what I asked . .... WTF ? I know why its not sold , sounds like a dick and he doesn't want to part with the car unless someone shows up with $23k cash to his door . I'm almost kicking myself for not getting the 07 Monte now . Could have got it for $12.5K (well still shipping and tax would have put it at $15k and the worry of what could be wrong with it and then the transmissions down the road .... ) Pretty frustrating . I have never had a jerk on the Monte carlo forum , at least yet .... Everyone here has been very helpful and nice . But I guess buying and selling cars is a different story for any brand ! Maybe the guy was just having a bad day , still he can keep it ! doesn't know how to provide the VIN ? A 4 year old can do that . Buying cars is the 3rd hardest thing in life , Buying a house number 1 and getting married number 2 . Actually I think my marriage was less stressful than buying a car .

Is there a good video of replacing the switch/turn signal for the high beams on YouTube ? or anyone here who has done it that you can direct me to ? Also what is a realistic price to change the oil pan and gasket ? everyone wants $400 and that fuel filter over $150
Thanks buddy !

Old 05-23-2023, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by sa5150
I wish I knew that , never knew they were going to throw it away . Not worth $100 for now , unless i can find one real cheap , Are they easy to put back on ?
The bad thing with selling them online is the size. Most of them are usually free shipping (or are $40 for the part, 40 to ship) - and I'm sure shipping is very high on a part that big. Id check your local junkyard if they've got any 3800 cars, should be able to get one dirt cheap there if you can find one where they ignored the recall.

Install is literally 30 seconds, no tools. You unscrew the oil fill cap extension by hand, set the cover on (the back has a tab that slips into an existing hole on the engine), set the front down over the oil fill hole, and screw the oil fill cap/extension back on over top of it to secure it in place.

I have never had a jerk on the Monte carlo forum , at least yet .... Everyone here has been very helpful and nice .
This forum is weird. In a good way though. In 20+ years of being on forums (mainly automotive) and actively posting on probably 2 dozen, Ive found this place to be the most friendly of any by a good margin. The mods here always seem to be proactive about shutting stuff down when it starts getting out of hand (which tends to drive away the bad apples when they find they can't stir up the crap).

​​​​​​​Buying cars is the 3rd hardest thing in life , Buying a house number 1 and getting married number 2 . Actually I think my marriage was less stressful than buying a car .
I completely agree. I don't know what's worse either- buying new or buying used, I tend to hate both equally for very different reasons.

I will say buying my GTO was one of the best experiences Ive had buying a car. The guy was beyond passionate about his car and clearly put a lot of effort into keeping it nice. He had immaculate records of even the most mundane things. He was just selling because his wife got pregnant unexpectedly with their 3rd child and so a 4 seat car was no longer an option for him as his wife's car (their main family hauler) wasn't 100% reliable.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:24 AM

Whats with people selling cars saying, "Maybe this car isnt for you"? My kids friend was just told that by two different sellers after wanting to know some stuff about a couple cars being sold. Sounds like a gate keeping complex or maybe theyre looking to sell to a sucker and hes just mad youre not that sucker.

Old 05-24-2023, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by wht02monte
Whats with people selling cars saying, "Maybe this car isnt for you"? My kids friend was just told that by two different sellers after wanting to know some stuff about a couple cars being sold. Sounds like a gate keeping complex or maybe theyre looking to sell to a sucker and hes just mad youre not that sucker.
Or the wife said he has to sell it and he's "trying" (see honey - here's the listing) but for some reason he just can't seem to find a buyer. Lol.

Seriously though, I wonder if some of it is built up frustration of weeks/months of dealing with the crappy public. After weeding out the bots and obvious scammers, youre left dealing with tire kickers with no intent on buying the car, people that don't actually have the money at all, people that think its worth half what you have listed it for and think they can wear you down with hours of discussion, etc etc. I'm not trying to defend the seller here, but I can see getting to a point where youre so fed up / paranoid that youre mistakenly turning away even legitimate buyers by accident.

Personally, I hate dealing with selling anything. I either list it for free (which even then has had issues), toss it, or give it to the wife to sell as she's a lot more tolerant to the BS. I did sell one car privately (which honestly went better than expected), but Ive either scrapped or traded all our other cars just to avoid dealing with it.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-24-2023 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by wht02monte
I'm sure your right , Its nuts what they come up with these days . Guy can't even provide a VIN number , Is that asking too much ? LOL

He can keep it . Something shady about the whole thing .

Old 05-24-2023, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member

No luck on the engine cover , one that looked right the guy said it wouldn't fit

"Looking at photos of the 3.8 V6 in a 2000 Monte Carlo SS I would say that this cover won't fit as the 2000 Monte Carlo with the 3.8 has a upper engine mount which makes the engine cover different being cut out more on the left side"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11580672770...edc4%7Ciid%3A1

Engine Cover

Part Number: 12578292
Supersession(s): 12565395

Can't find one with those numbers

Old 05-24-2023, 10:27 PM

He is right. The H body stuff is a bit different in terms of engine mounts. On your w body, the upper engine mounts are right on top, so the engine cover on the front of the passenger side is cut out to go around the mount. The h bodies don't have that upper mount, so the cover comes much further forward on the passenger side.

There's always a bunch on there though - so even if they don't have a W body one at the moment, I'd just give it a month and check it again.