General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Monte carlo 2006 ss any good ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2023, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Sorry again , Not sure why it's quoting some of your answers and then writing a paragraph underneath . The floor mats are https://www.ebay.com/itm/363393716363

Old 05-19-2023, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by sa5150
Sorry again , Not sure why it's quoting some of your answers and then writing a paragraph underneath . The floor mats are https://www.ebay.com/itm/363393716363
I strongly suspect 'no'. 95-99 was a different generation monte. I'm always leery of ads that can't even get the year range right for vehicle generations.

To be fair, there are some products jointly advertised for the very similar lumina (which I believe went to 01), but even if thats the reason for the year range, its for 5th gen cars specifically, not 6th gen like yours.

Old 05-19-2023, 07:36 AM

Aren't those floor mats kinda rare? Are they genuine can you tell?

Old 05-20-2023, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member

I test drove the 2004 GTO and I love it , I won't even look at Monte now . But unfortunate that dealership is not a trustworthy place and the car was a salvage . I found online a link where they bought it for $5600 in a auction . Now there selling it for $15k and no credit cards accepted , only cash or financing Lame . Don't want financing and was insurance had it as a complete loss . But they saved the goat burrito advertisement hood liner . LOL , That's embarrassing . Back to square 1 .

2004 Pontiac GTO | 6G2VX12G44L178121 | Bid History - BidCars

Visit
$5,700.00*· In stock·Brand: No information
2004 Pontiac GTO ✔️ VIN: 6G2VX12G44L178121 Lot: 1-42065322, Sale date: 2022-08-17 ➡️ Location: North Charleston (SC), USA | Odometer: 55 616 mi

Old 05-20-2023, 11:12 AM

Wow, $15k for a salvage / rebuild is nuts! Good thing you looked into it deeper.

I'm not surprised you liked it though. Its got a lot of similarities to the monte with improvements in the areas that matter for performance minded folks.

Not to drive you away from this forum, but ls1gto.com is the main forum for the new gen gtos. Like the Montes, there are tons of GTO forums, but so many that only cater to the older model crowd. Plenty of good threads on there for what to look out for when buying used that are unique to that platform.

Old 05-20-2023, 06:06 PM
5 Year Member

I know crazy right on the price .

Thank you I will definitely check out the gto sight .

have a great weekend .

Old 05-21-2023, 08:52 PM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That pic is of a GTO they want $15k for!!! Salvage and looks like a beater with a heater, they can SIT on that car for a LONG time.

Old 05-21-2023, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member

I agree , good thing I was able to find the info that it was a total by searching the VIN . the sales manager seemed like a @#$%^& , like most sales managers LOL . ANy place that won't let you use your credit cards Im staying far away from .

Old 05-21-2023, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member

Couple other cars I don't really remember The Chevy SS , Prices are very high for this so it's probably out of the question but sure would be nice with the newer technology radio etc ... except they ditched the CD player even back then ? wow

I don't remember this either , Pontiac G8 , any good compared to the GTO ? How are prices going ?

Old 05-21-2023, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by sa5150
Couple other cars I don't really remember The Chevy SS , Prices are very high for this so it's probably out of the question but sure would be nice with the newer technology radio etc ... except they ditched the CD player even back then ? wow

I don't remember this either , Pontiac G8 , any good compared to the GTO ? How are prices going ?
The SS are really cool, but the prices are beyond absurd. Rarity is the issue there. Total sales barely equaled one year of GTO, and of course many were collectors as the original sticker price was ultra high. Also due to the high price, it seems like the majority never became daily drivers so there's lots of low mile examples, but the used prices are extraordinary. One of my good buddy's brothers is selling one out here- 5k miles and he's asking $55k. I don't think he'll get it, but I bet he'll easily get 45 for it.

G8s are nice. Its a much newer chassis than the GTO and its apparent when driving it. The GTO rides on the V body platform which dates back literally decades. The iterarion the GTO is on comes from the late 90s. Whereas with the G8, its on the Zeta platform which was a new design in the mid 00s.

Production numbers were closer to the GTO, but the pricing is all over the map due to the variety of trim levels:

-Base models tend to be pretty cheap (although its unusual to see them with low miles as they dont tend to be owned by enthusiasts). But they're not particularly desirable. Power is fairly low - mid 200s, and theyve got an oddball 5 speed auto transmission. Honestly, most of the ones I've seen for sale locally aren't in great shape (just like searching for any other random 00s used car).

-The GT is what most every enthusiast gets. Its a 6L v8 somewhat like the 05/06 GTO, but oddly enough only makes mid 300 hp (unlike the gto that made 400 years earlier). It's still a nice car though. The autos also get the displacement on demand which a lot of people complain about as you saw with the Monte SS. But if you were happy with the 04 GTO, you'd be plenty happy power wise with this. The autos also get the 6L80 which IMO is a better transmission than the auto GTO for a daily driver.

Unfortunately (at least around me), its mid teens to get into any GT - even those 150k+. I did look at them when I bought my GTO (especially since that would've been the closest Pontiac replacement for my GP), and I just couldn't justify the price delta at the time. The price gap for comparable mileage was almost a $10k premium at the time for me.

-The GXP is the one everyone wants, but they only made a couple thousand so prices are always absurd. They're not quite SS crazy (well at least the autos aren't), but the cost / benefit ratio is certainly way out of whack due to rarity (i.e. its not that much better than a GT, but is way more expensive due to low volume / higher initial sticker).

If you like the G8, another option is the Chevy Caprice as theyre very similar and are usually way cheaper. Downside is they were almost exclusively ex police cars, so every one tends to have 100k+ and the ones that weren't admin / detective cars look like police cars inside - rubber flooring, massive laptop mount, hard back seat, etc etc.

Last edited by bumpin96monte; 05-22-2023 at 02:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Monte carlo 2006 ss any good ?