General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

MAN this is a huge mess

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Default MAN this is a huge mess

this story should make you think twice about doing stupid stuff around near a car:

so I was leaving school on tuesday, and my best friend was gonna ride with me to go out to eat with some other friends. As we were walking to my car he decided to kinda jump and slide across my hood. Well everything was fine until I got home that night and noticed a pretty good sized dent with a small one above it, right where he landed on my hood. So I told him about it and asked him to pay for whatever it would be to fix and he agreed. Now I was thinking a body shop could pull the dent for maybe $60-70. But I never imagined what they told me. Because its above the engine, they can't do the normal method of drilling a hole and pulling it and then putting body filler over it, cuz the heat of the engine will make the body filler not stay on. So, now I'm looking at a brand new hood, painted with a new stripe on it...grand total: $1,200. Lesson- cars are expensive, don't screw around near them

Old 05-24-2007, 04:15 PM
Default RE: MAN this is a huge mess

you might wanna get a2nd and maybe 3rd opinion on that......that just doesn't sound right to me. body shops are usually able to pull dents without drilling holes.

Old 05-24-2007, 04:30 PM

I am getting more estimates from different places...

also I know they can sometimes use air suction to pull them out, but the only other option is drilling, because you can't get behind this dent to hammer it

Old 05-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Monte Of The Month -- March 2007
5 Year Member

what!!! no way! get an aftermarket hood...i just mean one not made by gm...made by a different company...still looks and fits the same and you could get one for about 200 bucks..then about 200 bucks (at most to paint it)

sorry thats just rediculous!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 PM

theres a 3rd way to pop a dent its what i use, have this machine that spot welds a lil rod to the affected portion, then a puller grabs ahold and pops the dent out. then u just grind the rod flat and spot paint and voila w00t

Old 05-24-2007, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member

whats that machine called chris? it seems to have slipped my mind...i've sold a couple of them..and i sell the studs for them all the time...its like a spider or something or other...can't remember!

Old 05-24-2007, 08:24 PM
5 Year Member

UNI-SPOTTER! thats it...slipped my mind..lol

Old 05-24-2007, 09:21 PM

well that hood was acutally $500, but in labor and paint and adding the black stripe it took it to $1200

but I took it to another body place, and this guy there is pretty sure he can get them out, so im gonna try that first

Old 05-24-2007, 09:49 PM

find some paintless dent repair guys, im guessin $100

Old 05-24-2007, 11:10 PM

IMO, you may be stuck with having to replace the hood. What happens when you get a denton your car, the metal actually stretches, so it will not go back to its original form. Also consider whats going to happen when you wax your hood - any pressure you put on it will only re-dent (is that a word?) your hood. Think of it this way - if yousqueezea pop can, and then try to take the dent out of it what happens? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Quick Reply: MAN this is a huge mess