General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

MacGyver would be proud

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Default MacGyver would be proud

yesterday i had to do a little road-side repair on my monte. the connector from the tank to the fuel filter popped off as i was getting on the highway. i about pooped my pants after i started to smell gas. after calling everyone i know who has a trailer, i started to dig around in my center console. i found some hair ties and my inner macgyver took over. i cinched it to the connector and stretched it onver a bolt. surprisingly it got me a few miles to o'rileys where i bought a splicing kit that has a similar connector on it. i then was able to drive about a dozen more miles to my buddy's house that has everything you'd need to work on a car. after jacking up the car and looking at the factory connector, i had second thoughts about splicing this parts store kit onto my fuel lines (it didn't even have hose clamps for the splicing barb thing). unfortunately all the dealers were closed so i had to wait till today to get the right part, and it started raining real hard. my buddy let me borrow one of his car so i could get back home.
today i went back to my sad looking car after a trip to the chevy dealership. all i needed was a little piece of plastic that locks the connector to the filter. it cost me $5 for what looked like a black plastic staple! i clipped it on and snapped my line back on the filter and like magic my car works again. took longer to jack the car up than fix it.
what i think happened is when i replaced my fuel filter last fall, i stressed that plastic clip too much and it cracked and broke off. can't believe it held for that long. the part number for that clip is 22717568. thank god that mistake only cost me $5 and a little gas. here a pic of my macgyver skills.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Good job. You really called up your inner MacGyver!