General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

7th Gen ('06-'07): LS4 Mileage W/O AFM

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Default LS4 Mileage W/O AFM

Wondering what kind of mileage i can expect to get if the Active Fuel Management is turned off?

Old 11-25-2017, 08:09 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

This is an interesting topic! I've heard from at least one member (Devin) that his MPG improved when he had the Displacement On Demand de-activated. Not sure how many other members have done that who could compare. I know that this was a new(er) feature for GM to offer in the '06-'07 days and I am suspecting if more people saw a similar improvements turning that feature off, it's possibly a situation that GM still had some bugs to work out.

Old 11-25-2017, 09:09 PM
10 Year Member

I have had times where it would stay in 8 cylinder for whatever reason, had a misfire at the time. It seemed to keep with the usual mileage.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

My 06 SS is bone stock. With that being said, I will say I just drive it what I consider normally. By that I mean while I don't treat it like a race car, I also don't ***** foot around either. Ive noticed the mpg when in 8 cyl mode reading 18-22 mpg and when in 4 cyl mode its usually around 30 or so. unless going down hill then it shows 99mpg lol.
I don't see a big difference at least for myself.
And on a side note if there is a CEL or engine code the bcm shuts off the AFM/DoD system and operates in 8 cylinder mode only.

Last edited by Aerocoupe86; 11-26-2017 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-26-2017, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aerocoupe86
My 06 SS is bone stock. With that being said, I will say I just drive it what I consider normally. By that I mean while I don't treat it like a race car, I also don't ***** foot around either. Ive noticed the mpg when in 8 cyl mode reading 18-22 mpg and when in 4 cyl mode its usually around 30 or so. unless going down hill then it shows 99mpg lol.
I don't see a big difference at least for myself.
And on a side note if there is a CEL or engine code the bcm shuts off the AFM/DoD system and operates in 8 cylinder mode only.
I typically average 22 MPG. When I got the misfire (which, BTW, only takes out the DoD if it's on a DoD cylinder), I got 13.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:19 PM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2016
5 Year Member
3 Year Member1 Year Member

Reguardless of exactly how the Dod works any engine with a misfire the fuel mileage will be affected. I was just saying for at least with my car and driving habits, I see minimal difference in v8 mode vs 4cly mode as far as mileage goes. I wouldn't see a big advantage to disabling the system personally. The biggest gripe I would say with the Dod/AFM in my experience is it does cause the engine to burn oil. I may just be lucky or perhaps its my driving habits but my car doesn't burn a lot but it will burn some, maybe 1/2 a quart in 5000 miles.
Ive heard stories of others with way worse oil consumption, for that I would seriously consider disabling DoD.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Monte Of The Month -- November 2012
Monte Of The Month -- August 2015
10 Year Member

Interesting topic. Mine's still un-tuned, mainly because mine's fortunately not one of the oil guzzlers so it hasn't been an urgent thing yet. I am thinking about installing a cutout so at that point I would need to tune anyway.

Last edited by 06mistreSS; 11-28-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:01 PM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

I don't think I just switched DoD off for Devin, I believe I made other tweaks in his tune at the same time, so his changes could be based off of that stuff too.

DoD needs to be turned off if you have an aftermarket exhaust, because it sounds AWFUL when it goes into 4-cyl mode.

Really though, with it tuned out, you shouldn't see a change in MPG that is noticeable enough.

All of the conversations about CEL turning the DoD off is correct, but you also have to know that when you have that same CEL, the car's computer is dumping fuel at the problem most likely, which would add to the high MPG consumption. The car doesn't know what's wrong, so it goes into a different mode.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by ChibiBlackSheep
I don't think I just switched DoD off for Devin, I believe I made other tweaks in his tune at the same time, so his changes could be based off of that stuff too.

DoD needs to be turned off if you have an aftermarket exhaust, because it sounds AWFUL when it goes into 4-cyl mode.

Really though, with it tuned out, you shouldn't see a change in MPG that is noticeable enough.

All of the conversations about CEL turning the DoD off is correct, but you also have to know that when you have that same CEL, the car's computer is dumping fuel at the problem most likely, which would add to the high MPG consumption. The car doesn't know what's wrong, so it goes into a different mode.

You may be correct. I absolutely will be getting mine tuned, if for no other reason than to do something about the godawful throttle response. If a tune drops me to 13 mpg, you may be sure that a) I will have it tuned immediately back in, and b) you will hear about it.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:32 AM
10 Year Member

I have a superchips flashpaq tuner. It doesn't turn off AFM,but It seems to have better throttle response and slightly better performance, at least i feel it does. The mileage has prettyuch stayedthe same. I see they have a newer updated tuner that has the option to turn off AFM.