General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

Ls <>z34

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:07 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by Taz
It's really up to you whether you want to do it or not. Personally, I wouldn't. Nothing personal against you. I just don't think it a good idea when anyone puts the top level badges (Z34, SS) on a base model.
Thanks for all the info guys. I will not be adding the Z34 badges to my monte. As far as my ls being "base", not hardly lol. I have foglights and dual pipes and will be buying a lip kit and hood in the near future and I've also debadged it which leaves you guessing if its an ss. I have added the upper and lower SLP grilles and black headlights which gives it a late 80s SS look. I have dual flowmaster 40s and a short ram intake which gave it more pep and made it sound evil.ahhahahaha lol I just didn't want you all to think I was only gonna add the badges to a stock ls. Thanks again guys as always.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:52 PM

do something like put the monte shield on the back. i dont think people were trying to say your car was stock right now.... but it was a stock monte. no mater what you do, the VIN is that of a base LS. for performance i would suggest building a FWI and do away with the short ram filter. the short ram will cause the engine to see higher IAT temps... the PCM will pull timing with the higher temps and this will reduce power. by going to a FWI you get the colder air that wont cause the reduced timing and that cooler air is denser and you get a little more HP from that cooler air. just my 2 cents

Old 05-16-2011, 03:56 AM

That's a cool idea, haven't seen that emblem on the rear yet. Do you know where I can order new emblems? Mine were starting to crack and bubble up is another reason it was debadged. I know he wasn't doggin my monte but it looks like I have a fast car lol. Wish it was a rear drive V8 manual trans like it wants to be though lol. Before y'all start cursin me I don't plan to convert it either, I'm just sayin lol

Old 05-16-2011, 09:57 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

The FWI idea is a great idea. If I remember correctly, you said you have the 3.4 litre engine. When I had my 99 Grand Am GT, a FWI was a very popular mod on the grand am forums. The grand am gt also had the 3.4 litre 3400 engine. But just a word to the wise. If you're doing performance mods on your engine, be sure to check the bolts for proper torque. The lower intake manifold had a tendency to loosen off, and start leaking.

From your description, your Monte sounds like it's looking really nice. I wasn't trying to hate on you or your Monte. My comment was more of a "in general" comment.

My reason for not really liking the idea of putting the other badges on, is because I've seen many people (including friends) get blown away and embarrassed. A guy I know put SS badges on his LS, and he was getting challenged to races. He was advertising performance his car didn't have basically. And would get blown away every time. Him and his car got to be a joke with many people.

I'm not saying it's going to happen to you. Two different people, two different cars. I just didn't want to see you end up the same way he did. If you can put the power to the wheels and perform well, go for it if you want. I just don't think it's a good idea for ANYONE to advertise performance they can't deliver.

Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 AM

I know you decided not to go with z34 badges, I just would like to. Say" good choice" not for performance measures, but more so because I myself have been made fun of because I have the same badging.
the 370 z from nissan is the z34 body style, so since I have the z34 badges, people have stopped to laugh at my car. I simply tell them that they need to stop being little ricers and look up the monte z34, or for that matter, a lumina z34. That generally shuts them up.

Imho, the monte and lumina are true z34s and nissan is trying to imitate them by making their new body z the same thing.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:24 AM

Technically, Nissan has been using the Z3x line since before the Lumina Z34, so you could say they had it first. But, it was never actually a badge, just a way to denote the body style internally, so yes, those kids are still Ricers thinking you would try and badge your car as a Nissan.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:25 AM
Question

Originally Posted by z34phoenix
do something like put the monte shield on the back. i dont think people were trying to say your car was stock right now.... but it was a stock monte. no mater what you do, the VIN is that of a base LS. for performance i would suggest building a FWI and do away with the short ram filter. the short ram will cause the engine to see higher IAT temps... the PCM will pull timing with the higher temps and this will reduce power. by going to a FWI you get the colder air that wont cause the reduced timing and that cooler air is denser and you get a little more HP from that cooler air. just my 2 cents
What is FWI exactly? I don't know much about this yet. I have two buddys of mine telling me they can help me turbo my 3400 and advise me its better but I don't know. What ideas do you have? Id like to learn more about it.

Old 05-18-2011, 08:04 AM

FWI stands for Fender Well Intake. It has a longer intake tube and goes into the area behind the bumper and fender to pull cooler air in from outside, since it is outside of the normal engine bay area, and doesn't pull in air warmed by the motor.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:22 AM

Oh ok duh lmao yeah I ran mine into the fender already. I didn't know it had an actual term. Thanks for helpin a monte dummy guys.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:26 PM

If ur doing w turbo you would need custom tune and some custom exhaust work to get the turbo to mount to the exhaust

Quick Reply: Ls <>z34