General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

6th Gen ('00-'05): LOTS of News

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:48 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member
Talking LOTS of News

Hey all! So, the Monte is finally out of storage and getting wrenched on to make her roadworthy and a few mods. So here's the rundown...

1.) I broke an engine mount (really dumb on my part). After I installed my PLOG, I forgot to re-assemble the front part of the left-hand side engine mount (that curved black piece that connects the aluminum mount to the engine block in the front) and as a result, it completely sheared off at the block on top. I assume it was because I lowered my car and installed shorter dog bones, thus placing more stress on the engine mount holding the engine forward. So I took a trip to the local junkyard (toy store) and pulled a mount off of an 04 Monte, installed it and it fits like a glove now. Hopefully it wont bust again. Too much power, dude! lol

2.) I'm getting the UIM replaced (again) and I am also doing an EGR delete this time as well. I bought the delete kit from ZZP, so after it's out of the shop, I'll install it and see how it goes. Oh yeah, and I painted the intake manifold gloss black plus 3 coats of clear. It looks fantastic! SOOO much better than the ugly flat plastic look it has from the manufacturer. I also did the engine cover in clear. I will post pics up of everything when I get a chance.

3.) HUGE shout-out to Greg (ZIPPY02) on here for giving me a phenomenal deal on a set of gently used KYB AGX shocks and struts. They are being put on the car, and most likely by the end of this week, I'll have the car back and riding on the stiffest setting and I'll review them. But Greg has been nothing but an awesome stand-up guy and I would recommend anyone to him if he's got a part you're looking for. Props to you, my friend and thank you again!

4.) New tires and brakes to come in a couple weeks. I've got the tires, just have to get them mounted and balanced. They are Continental ExtremeContact DW and the size is 235-50-17. I LOVED the Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 tires I had last year, but they are more of a track tire, not a road tire. They perform perfectly fine on the road, but they wear out FAST. I've heard some good things about these Contis so I decided to give them a shot. Plus, they have a decent tread wear rating for a performance summer tire. Brakes; nothing too fancy. Just upgraded rotors and pads (ceramic pads and Summit Racing cross-drilled and slotted rotors).

5.) Finally, I decided since I cant really afford to do a whole lot to the engine right now to make more power, I'll start WEIGHT REDUCTION, BRO! I took out the back seat, carpet and spare tire and jack in the trunk as well as the subs I used to have in there. Why? Because race car lol I weighed everything as I removed it and I took out over 100 pounds! I definitely didn't expect that. And before the end of this month, I'll have painted the PLOG with some header paint because it looks like poo and I'll have a pair of chromolly trailing arms and aluminum valve covers from ZZP. I plan on trying my hand at some auto-cross at a big car meet in Painsville, OH on the 24th of this month. I'll post a few pics down below of the painted UIM and the rear seat removal. Cheers!

Old 05-11-2015, 08:51 AM

Monte of the Month -- February 2015
Monte Of The Month -- April 2017
3 Year Member
1 Year Member

Sounds like you have gotten alot of work done!!
Can't wait to see pics!!

Old 05-11-2015, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Oh yeah, by the way, I finally have a proper aluminum intake instead of the cheapo AutoZone plastic pipe. All I need to do now is make a heat shield of some sort. I got the pipe from Summit and cut it to fit. I measured and cut right the first time. That never happens haha

Attached Thumbnails LOTS of News-img_20150424_120606.jpg   LOTS of News-collage.jpg   LOTS of News-20150421_235242.jpg