General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

GOOD NEWS!!!!!! (And, not so good news)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 08:20 AM
Default GOOD NEWS!!!!!! (And, not so good news)

Well, I Had actually lost hope in this thing actually going through...My main lead in selling my civic was seemingly dragging me along at his leisure, and without that leaving my driveway, there would be no room(or money) for the Monte.
But, amazingly, we found another buyer. So, yesterday morning. She went down to the bank for her personal loan. $2000 cash to me at 1:00pm, and straight down to pay off the civic.
Cue Smiley Face!!!!!!!

Now, she is by no means the prettiest looking '02 out there. To be quite honest, the '02 civic I got rid of that morning was cosmetically in alot better condition...But, it was a civic..

235,232 miles on the odometer. I was told right around 71,000 on the 3800. She has chips across the hood, and along the body. No dings! My front bumper sags just a tad. But, I got this baby for $4200, at $200 a month. No interest. Plus, I paid nothing but the taxes to drive it off the lot! Oh yeah! I'm feeling like a BOSS!!!

Now...I drive her home, and go about my day, until I can go have some fun. Took her down to the car wash. But, everybody's phones were dead, so no pictures yet .

We go to head out trying to find someone that wasn't working that I could show off to. I notice my radio didn't light up. The lights are on...But, they're very, very dim. I was already daydreaming about putting a new stereo in(Although the stock one is the nicest I've ever heard from a factory) so, I didn't give it a second thought.

This car...is a dream! I love it! The way it growls when it idles. The way I sit so low compared to everything I've had up until this. The way it sits me back when I get on her. This is what a car is supposed to feel like!

We cruise around all afternoon, driving nice and slow, turning heads all over town. I show it to the few people I know that weren't working. Having a wonderful time. Then..sundown.

I go to start the car up as we take a friend back to work after her lunch break. We had been inside for about 30mins, so I figured the sun had gone down enough for the auto-lights to kick on. So, I was totally preparing to brag about it. I start the car..no lights. Ok, So, I pull out the headlight switch..Nothing. No headlights, no dash lights. I have parking lights, foglights, and very dim radio lights. But, no headlights.

This, I decide, is no good.

So, I drop off the friend, and decide it's prolly best we head home, before the sun is completely down. While heading to the highway(We're about 45 mins from home) I keep trying to switch on and off my lights, turning the dimmer switch, and clicking my fogs on and off. I try to turn on my high beams, and they work! Hallelujah!! I can now make it home without just fog lights!

We make it home. I let her sit for about a half hour, and right before bed, decide to run out and check..I turn the key to 'on' and there they are! HEADLIGHTS!!! Still no dash lights...still very dim radio...but, headlights...Hmm. I came out this morning at about 6 when I was leaving for work, and as soon as I turned the switch to 'on' they came on. I pull the switch out one time, headlights go off, parking lights on. Pull out again, and headlights are back on.

I've done some searching this morning, and I'm coming up with bad switches, bad grounds, shorts in my wiring...and(gulp) a bad BCM. Anything else you guys think could be causing this? I'm out at 3 today, so I'm gonna run her back to the dealer as soon as I get out, and see what he tells me about getting this taken care of. Wish me luck!

Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 AM
THE JUDGE
Monte Of The Month -- November 2015
Monte Of The Month -- March 2012
10 Year Member
5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Congrats on the purchase - I hope you get your light problem resolved.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 AM

Monte Of The Month -- December 2011
Monte Of The Month -- September 2014
10 Year Member

Congrats on the Monte!

If I were to take a guess, I would guess headlight switch. Unfortunately, you're problem is intermittant, which makes it tough to narrow down.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:05 AM

That's what I thought at first. Which would also be the culprit for why the dash lights weren't coming on. But, the parking lights still came on when they were on their switch, and the high beams wouldn't come on unless it was on the full headlight setting. Plus, my dash lights still weren't working last night, or this morning when my headlights did come on. Also, I don't think that switch would tie into the radio lights as well, would it?

ARGH! It's so difficult trying to look past this problem to the fact that I have this amazing car!! I just want it to work right!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:18 AM

Monte Of The Month -- August 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

That headlight switch also has the dimmer for all of the interior lights, so yes, it would affect all of that.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:49 AM

Ok. My research this morning told me that was a pretty common problem in these. Is there any way to test it to make sure it's the switch? Ebay's looking for $60 shipped for a new one.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 PM

Ok, stuck with a double today. So, won't be out until 9 tonight. The wife has been driving it all day. I periodically check in on her and tell her to flip the lights on. Has been working flawlessly. So, for now, I'm happy. Going to check the continuity on the headlight switch as soon as I can get my Dad's multimeter.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:32 PM

Monte Of The Month -- November 2011

Good luck with it--Praying for a blown headlight switch and NOT a bad BCM

Old 08-11-2011, 10:20 PM

Congratulations on the purchase! I also have an 02 SS. I agree on the stereo being awesome from the factory. I have never heard a car that can hit bass like these can totally stock. I had my ipod playing in the car through my FM transmitter and my friend got in and asked what brand subs I had lol Sorry to hear about your light issues I hope you get them resolved for good. I don't think it would be the BCM. If it was you would probably be having other strange issues like backup lights flashing, door locks randomly engaging, alarm randomly going off, etc. But the symptoms vary per car and how far along it is in the process of failing. BCM's are famous for going in these tho. Enjoy your ride and I wish you many trouble free years with your monte!

Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 AM

Thanks everybody! This car is everything I've dreamed it could be. I'm head-over-heels for this thing. Here's the most recent pic. This is the day I brought her home, sittin next to the wife's Mazda Millenia.

She's begging for some love...For someone to treat her right, and make her shine..And, ya know what....I just may be the guy to do that.

Quick Reply: GOOD NEWS!!!!!! (And, not so good news)