General Monte Carlo Talk Talk about the Monte Carlo. Does not have to be your Monte. Can include pics and games.

3rd Gen ('78-'80): looking for guidance

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 AM
Default looking for guidance

I've had my 1979 305ci 5.0L 4 barrel T-Top black on black with bucket seats Monte Carlo now for a decade now and am about to do a rotisserie restoration on it and before I do I want to know how stock I should keep it?
I know the car itself is rare where im from alone but I even have trouble finding pics on the interweb. there's not much of a community here so I'm looking for professional and enthusiast input.
also it only has 165000km on it and... no one ever believes me but a stock plastic trunk lid.
Any input would be appreciated and welcome.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

Well, the saying goes. Your car is only ever original once. I think it really depends on what you really want to do with it over the long term. Keep it or sell it. If you intend on selling it eventually, then the more stock the better. Since many people don't care for cars that have been modded.

If you intend to keep it, you still have choices. Keep it stock, or modify it for racing or whatever else.

I really don't see you wanting to turn it into a racer. There are much better choices for racing than stripping down a rare 79 Monte.

I think you may have more parts availability than you realize. There are websites that sell parts for your car. I've included links at the bottom of my post. In addition to that, as you're probably already aware, make friends with your local junk yards. Many times they work in networks, and can get you a part you need from another junk yard.

How stock should you keep it? That's a personal choice. To me it would depend on how reversible the modification is. Installing a performance exhaust, or a cold air intake, or anything that is bolt-on without doing any cutting to the car is fine. You can always go back to stock pretty easily. But if you're thinking about items like airbag suspension, or anything that requires you to cut into the car's body or frame, that's where you need to make a serious decision. Once you start cutting, it's very hard to go back. If at all.

I wouldn't worry about small mods that are simple or bolt-on mods that can be easily reversed back to stock. Even paint. Unless you have some super rare show car with special graphics or lettering that can't be replaced, re-painting the car is no issue either.

If I were you, I'd be more concerned about your T-Tops. They're notorious for leaks. Check out the websites below for availability of replacement rubber for your T-Tops. Your upholstery will thank you.

Good Luck!

www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com (Dixie Monte Carlo Depot)

www.yearone.com (Year One)

www.opgi.com (Original Parts Group Inc.)

Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 AM
Taz

Monte Of The Month -- March 2014
15 Year Member
10 Year Member5 Year Member3 Year Member1 Year Member

If you're worried about ruining the look of your dash by replacing the radio with a modern one. You can check out Custom Auto Sound. They make modern stereos that look like the original radios that came in older cars.

www.customautosound.com

Old 09-21-2013, 09:58 AM

...I would make your Monte the way you want it 2 `be > Your Choice.
You do have a rare 79 Monte + a V8 with T-Tops..

AutoTrader Classics - 1979 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Black Automatic | American Classics | Mankato, MN
Click the above link to few a nice one 4-Sure

^ Owners above make their Monte's their own ^ I do like the above Monte 4-Sure!
Let us know what U decide...EnJoy the MCF!!!!

Last edited by Space; 09-21-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:47 AM

Big help and thanks for the thoughts. this was my 1st car ever when I was 16 and I will have it till the day I die so I think your right with the do what feels best concept. ill be sure to post some updates as the time goes into it.